GTX 1080 Shroud in the Wild

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This picture have been making the round for the last day or two, but just now was the first time I had seen it out on the Web. Rumor site Video Cardz has this to say about the upcoming GTX 1080 and GTX 1070.

What you’re looking at is supposedly the new finished look of GeForce GTX 1080 cooler shroud. It’s the same design we already saw with previous leak, although this one is painted, equipped with a fan and plastic cover for heatsink. I mean if someone went through all the trouble to design this just for laughs, I think he should be hired by NVIDIA.

I actually think it looks pretty cool, but at the end of the day my only real concern is how it performs.

I got done waiting for this and bought a 980Ti along with a copy of The Division for $530.00. Wake me up when they actually release the full line, people can actually buy them, and they're down from the initial high release prices.

Not attractive to me at all. Also, I am on a 980 Ti since December so, I will not be ready for a new card until at least late 2017.

Honestly who cares what it looks like when most people will only see the top side that says geforce. If it performs well and stays cool i could care less what it looks like, it could have justin beiber and hello kitty on it and i would still buy it because it performs well.

Looks nice. Unless there's a Ti next to the name or a code name other than GP104, no thanks.

It's a cooler that only Best Buy customers will see. The rest of us will have (mostly) more effective coolers from our vendor of choice.

Blower coolers have their uses, just not preferred in my case.

Also, looks like it was rendered on the Sega Saturn.

Longer than what I expected, though I suppose that's a give without HBM. Any specs?

So, it blows 'most' of the hot air out of the case, but lets 'some' escape back in through those two little holes by the front? Looks like a dust collecting nightmare! (I have an old case with no filtration.)

AMD now has an opportunity to make a better looking video card. This shroud takes Nvidia from 'piece of engineering' to 'piece of marketing'

The original 690/Titan cooler is so much more raw and utilitarian. It looks like it functions.

If I buy one, the first thing I'll do is take the shroud off, and add a custom cooler to it, because my case doesn't have a window.

The only appearance I care about is what is on the screen!

It's not like most of you care. Either we are going to get an aftermarket cooler or a water block for it.

Mermaid Yakuza! (yes, it's in an anime: "My Bride is a Mermaid"...hilarious stuff too)

It's more to a reference to an older 760 card I ran into at a hardware salvage shop. Had a big busy mermaid on the top of the card. If it's there next time, i'll snap a pic of it.

It's not like most of you care. Either we are going to get an aftermarket cooler or a water block for it.

Agreed. Most of us don't like those noisy things that run hot so we go with whatever MSI/EVGA ect. come up with for their higher end models. Those that like to push clocks or keep temps even lower go with water cooling. And I suppose if you're going to get some for SLI you may as well go water cooling as well.

That looks terribly fake, and terrible at the same time. Which is kind of scary, if it's actually real.

If they price the 1080 @ around 599-699 might buy. Anything higher they can pound sand.

Waiting for Polaris, hopefully, it will be good and AMD can really use the money.

Back