GTX 1080 Retail Store Availability Only Founders Edition?

EVGA.com has some in stock. I just bit the bullet finally and grabbed one. Fuck it.

Nice!! I went from TITAN X SLI to 1080 SLI...not seeing huge gains as of yet...but it's fun to tweak something new.

Newegg took their sweet time paper launching an EVGA 1080 to me. Should get it tomorrow.

My F5ing on Friday was very casual, it wasn't hard to find one at all.

Galax custom cards (HOF especially) are not going to be available until mid June at the earliest.

Source: Galax stand staff at Computex

Haha in stock for 20 minutes at random vendors at random times of the day and then you guys jump in here and scream no not a paper launch! There are literally 10 cards at a time hitting retailers that sell out within 15 minutes. Unless you're lucky or you freaking LIVE at your PC sniping away on your nowinstock alerts you are NOT going to find one of these cards. How is that not a paper launch? The other guy was right, some of you guys are cringe worthy. I reckon when the AIB cards start to come out that they too will trickle out 10 at a time to random vendors and the FE cards will be easier to score because then everyone will be chasing the few AIB cards that come to market instead. By the reviews it's not likely that an AIB card will provide any more benefit over an FE other than price. It's clear that everyone's definition of 'paper launch' is different so it's all good. I just remember the 8800 and 400 launches and there was plenty of stock for all on those launches. Those were hard launches. This one and many of their others? Not so much.

You keep saying that Nvidia's store is giving you the run around on your order. Have you checked online for its status? Did you ever get an e-mail confirming your order or have you seen a charge on your credit card yet? Have you escalated it to a manager by pushing through the 1-2 tiers of people you talk to beforehand?

It finally shipped yesterday after repeatedly escalating it. The people on the phone are from Digital River and they don't seem to know much of anything about the warehouses. They gave me the canned "it will definitely ship today or tomorrow" answer over and over. I get that the holiday probably threw things off, but I think they were pulling some shenanigans. I eventually kept asking for supervisors and telling them I wanted to cancel my order until they mysteriously "found" the card I ordered shipped it next-day. It's supposed to be here this afternoon.

My gripe with them is that I *think* they wanted to declare my order on backorder...which is fine, but they need to tell me that instead of giving me the run-around.

Haha in stock for 20 minutes at random vendors at random times of the day and then you guys jump in here and scream no not a paper launch! There are literally 10 cards at a time hitting retailers that sell out within 15 minutes. Unless you're lucky or you freaking LIVE at your PC sniping away on your nowinstock alerts you are NOT going to find one of these cards. How is that not a paper launch? The other guy was right, some of you guys are cringe worthy. I reckon when the AIB cards start to come out that they too will trickle out 10 at a time to random vendors and the FE cards will be easier to score because then everyone will be chasing the few AIB cards that come to market instead. By the reviews it's not likely that an AIB card will provide any more benefit over an FE other than price. It's clear that everyone's definition of 'paper launch' is different so it's all good. I just remember the 8800 and 400 launches and there was plenty of stock for all on those launches. Those were hard launches. This one and many of their others? Not so much.

Dude, just give it up. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Last night cards were in stock on NewEgg for nearly an hour before I stopped checking. Throughout release day we all had multiple shots at getting cards ("we" as in people that know to check websites and not drive around town wasting gas).

It's a hot item that has a high demand. Tons of people have them. That's not a paper launch.

EDIT: this may help you: Paper launch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A paper launch is the situation in which a product is compared or tested against other products of the same kind, despite the fact that it is not available to the public at the time. Generally, the term is applied to the computer and gaming industry, but is not limited to that"

Last edited:
It finally shipped yesterday after repeatedly escalating it. The people on the phone are from Digital River and they don't seem to know much of anything about the warehouses. They gave me the canned "it will definitely ship today or tomorrow" answer over and over. I get that the holiday probably threw things off, but I think they were pulling some shenanigans. I eventually kept asking for supervisors and telling them I wanted to cancel my order until they mysteriously "found" the card I ordered shipped it next-day. It's supposed to be here this afternoon.

My gripe with them is that I *think* they wanted to declare my order on backorder...which is fine, but they need to tell me that instead of giving me the run-around.
I am glad to hear they finally "found" your card and you are getting it today. Just a shame it took them this long to get things fixed.

Have fun with your new toy!

I wouldn't call it a paper launch. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing with the supply.

It's just like Apple does with the iPhone launch. Get it now, get it before all your friends, get it before the boat from China gets here with five million more...

I wouldn't call it a paper launch. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're playing with the supply.

It's just like Apple does with the iPhone launch. Get it now, get it before all your friends, get it before the boat from China gets here with five million more...

My thoughts as well. Unfortunately, there is not really a way to prove this. The FE version is a big giveaway - $100 more and the only thing available for 1-2 weeks. They know that people (like yours truly) will pay to play early. I've been rocking NVIDIA reference for many years now. My experience with aftermarket cards (Lightning, Classified, Kingpin) has been OK at best for the $$$.

FEs were in and out of stock at Newegg all day yesterday. For those who want one, just go to Desktop Graphics Cards and check the GeForce GTX 1080 box, then apply. You will see an RSS feed icon above the list you can monitor.

I have to disagree. I have a script that checks Newegg stock regularly and I was able to beat Nowinstock by 5-10 minutes without a problem. Even when away from my computer I was able to get back in time to see stock at least a half dozen times yesterday. In fact I had a MSI in my cart for over an hour just to test - so there was ample opportunity. There was EVGA stock for about 15 minutes, PNY for 30, Gigabyte multiple times for ~10, Asus for 30, and MSI multiple times including once or twice for over an hour.

I have no intention of getting a FE, I'm just keeping tabs on stock and analyzing how they roll it out so I can predict AIB better. Just FYI I caught them very briefly preparing a 7th card that appeared to be a placeholder, but I won't be posting info on that since people go completely bonkers over every word during this launch, but they are definitely preparing for AIB stock.

*edit* Just want to add that I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with assertions about a "paper launch," I'm just sharing information about availability

Reference cards were briefly but frequently available every single day. I could have purchased one eight or nine times so far, if I wanted to. Which I don't.

Reference cards were briefly but frequently available every single day. I could have purchased one eight or nine times so far, if I wanted to. Which I don't.

Yep. Pretty much this^

You're assuming the vega and 1080 TI won't have the same issues of supply at launch, hot new hardware always goes this way; the fan buyers + the people buying multiples hoping to ebay them off for a profit.

For some reason I had this crazy idea that Nvidia would have plenty of 1080's available. It really sucked having $$ ready to spend, but no product available. I fell for the hype!

And.... I was finally lucky enough to score a EVGA 1080 FE on Newegg after many attempts !

So paper launch cancelled lol. Time to install it and tear up some games!

Totally a paper launch. :yawn:
ymivXWn.jpg

Back