GTX 1080 Retail Store Availability Only Founders Edition?

Ahh wtf? You are full of shit. I checked 6 physical stores, Newegg and Amazon. No 1080 to be found. This was a paper launch, terrible availability.
I've been checking that site and had three or four opportunities to buy a 1080 over the last couple of days. You can even get text alerts sent to your phone when stock is available. If you didn't get a card, you weren't using the tools available to you. Other people use the site to quickly burn through any retailers inventory before slow people get a chance. It's the modern age, you gotta use modern tools instead of poking around in a car. Early bird gets the worm.

Yeah, I am so sick of this "paper launch" shit. Absolutely not true.

Paper Launch = No physical products for sale.

It wasn't a paper launch, but it also wasn't a great launch. I'm only hope the availability of AIB partner cards doesn't disappoint quite as much as the Founder's Edition has.

I'm set to buy either the EVGA Classified or the ASUS Strix - whichever I can add to my cart is the card I'll buy.

Definitely not a paper launch, granted I'm in a different country, but I saw several 1080's for sale, in actual stores, on the 28th of May (the ones I saw were EVGA and Gigabyte's FE editions) in Taiwan.

Of course it was a paper launch. The card was announced on May 7 but you couldn't buy one until May 27. That's what a paper launch is.

As of May 27 it finally launched. Small quantities and reference-only don't render it not a launch, just a poor one.

It doesn't help that
Of course it was a paper launch. The card was announced on May 7 but you couldn't buy one until May 27. That's what a paper launch is.

As of May 27 it finally launched. Small quantities and reference-only don't render it not a launch, just a poor one.

Let's not get down to semantics. People in this thread have been calling May 27 a paper launch.

Yes, May 7 was a paper launch. Yes, today is the paper launch for the 1070. But idiots are calling May 27 (and they will call June 10 one, too, I'm sure) a paper launch because they couldn't get a card. Well, thousands of people did. It's not like there were a small few available. I was able to get cards into my cart right when they launched on May 27 and I ended up buying at the end of the business day on May 27. That's a full 8 hours of sporadic availability. Pretty damn good for a hot, hot item.

The card was not launched on May 7th. It was announced. Using that reasoning, nearly every single tech launch in the history of everything has been a paper launch. At the May 7 Event Nvidia said, right there, that the card would launch on May 27th. And it came out on May 27th, albeit in quantities less than we would like. I don't see how this is any different from the announcements of the PS1/2/3/4, Xbox/360/One, iPhone 1/3g/4/5/6... I could go on. It is quite rare for a company to gather a bunch of journalists and go:

COMPANY: "Hey! We have a new product! It is better than the old product!"

PRESS: "WOW! Amazing!"

C: "Right?"

P: "When can we get one?!"

C: "Right now! We've been stocking the shelves of Best Buy while you've been standing here!"

P: "OMG!"

Personally I don't really understand the disagreement over Pascal's launch method.

A staggered announcement->reviews->availability launch is really better for consumers as this gives more time to make a thought out and planned purchase. If you actually had announce, reviews, and launch all on the same day this leaves very little time for buyers to actually get information while also have to buy blindly.

The only problem should be launches where supply is very problematic, although you do have to make allowances for initial demand to be relatively higher. Now you can argue whether or not Pascal's launch is problematic in this aspect.

You don't know what a paper launch is, which I find very amusing.

I know exactly what it is. I also know exactly what 90% of people think it is, which is what the term has unfortunately come to mean.

Radeon Pro Duo, now that was a paper launch. Are they even available now?

Radeon Pro Duo, now that was a paper launch. Are they even available now?

Yes they've been available on Newegg for a while. Not sure if a lot of people are looking to drop $1500 on a a 4GB card.

Anyone calling this a "paper launch" is a dumbass.

Hey frack you! This was an poorly planned "launch" with shit availability. I had an easier time buying a Radeon X800 XT PE back in the day than this 1080 Flounders Edition. I'm so disgusted that I may just wait for AMD Vega or the inevitable 1080 TI card.

I've been trying to get one since the 27th and I'm not paying 800-1200 for one. From the scammed online. I'll wait for amd or if they get there head out of there a$s I'll pick up a classy.

Agreed 100%. Anyone not calling this a paper launch is a dumbass. Strong demand and extremely low stock = paper launch. The 8800 and 400 series were very strong demand and plenty of stock to satisfy that demand made it a hard launch. This one is not a hard launch. Nvidia is the KING of paper launches. The term 'paper launch, nvidia style' does not exist for nothing. When you have to resort to lurking on sites called 'nowinstock' to send you emails for the brief 3 minutes the product pops up on some random vendor's website for sale means it was a paper launch. Anyone that doesn't understand that is acting foolish. It really doesn't matter per se anyway. It's just that some of you really need to understand the difference between hard and paper launches. Even Kyle basically called it a paper launch.

Agreed 100%. Anyone not calling this a paper launch is a dumbass. Strong demand and extremely low stock = paper launch. The 8800 and 400 series were very strong demand and plenty of stock to satisfy that demand made it a hard launch. This one is not a hard launch. Nvidia is the KING of paper launches. The term 'paper launch, nvidia style' does not exist for nothing. When you have to resort to lurking on sites called 'nowinstock' to send you emails for the brief 3 minutes the product pops up on some random vendor's website for sale means it was a paper launch. Anyone that doesn't understand that is acting foolish. It really doesn't matter per se anyway. It's just that some of you really need to understand the difference between hard and paper launches. Even Kyle basically called it a paper launch.

Yes, some people like you. Re-read Kyle's article about the launch.

It doesn't matter like I said. You're not going to change my opinion and I won't change yours. I will get a card eventually in a month or two and my opinion that it was a soft launch will remain.

Do you not understand how products are launched? Companies ann
Hey frack you! This was an poorly planned "launch" with shit availability. I had an easier time buying a Radeon X800 XT PE back in the day than this 1080 Flounders Edition. I'm so disgusted that I may just wait for AMD Vega or the inevitable 1080 TI card.

Nobody wants an AMD card which is why they are available.

You're assuming the vega and 1080 TI won't have the same issues of supply at launch, hot new hardware always goes this way; the fan buyers + the people buying multiples hoping to ebay them off for a profit.

I had an easier time buying a Radeon X800 XT PE back in the day than this 1080 Flounders Edition.

Now there's a model I haven't heard in a while. I got a X800 XT-PE at launch, Asus for over $600 on Newegg, and it was quite possibly the worst GPU launch of all time for me. I have to admit that this launch is starting to feel the same...

This is for the UK but shows the ETA schedule for custom AIB by EVGA:
Hi guys

I will do my best before I hit the sack in Taiwan.

Roughly here is how I see first stocks hitting the UK.

SC - 9th/10th June
FTW - 16th/17th June.
Classified - End of June
Hybrid/Hydro Copper - Early July.

I am afraid I can only be vague at this stage but we are doing all we can. There is more Founders Edition on the way already in strong numbers and will land during this week. Please do not take these dates as gospel but I hope a decent guide for you.

Thanks
Ben
Overclockers UK Forums - View Single Post - The Pascal GTX 1080 Owners Thread.

Just appreciate this is EVGA's own schedule, so we will see a similar staggered 'tier' release I assume from the other partners.
The most basic designs will probably release earlier, thinking of that basic Zotac design that was one of the very first non-FE photos shown.
Cheers

If anyone is interested in a FE EVGA let me know. I am going to sell mine and wait for the FTW model.

It was a paper launch - there's no way that you have one! :p

Try B/S/T. I'd be game but I have one coming today and my 2nd should ship out and arrive tomorrow.

No way man, it was a paper launch nobody has them it was horrible nVidia doesn't want to sell products paper paper pappperrrrrr...... lol

You guys are so cringe. It's a paper launch and most retail stores didn't get more than 10-20 cards in at most. If you have to sit and snipe the cards to get one, it's a paper launch.

You guys are so cringe. It's a paper launch and most retail stores didn't get more than 10-20 cards in at most. If you have to sit and snipe the cards to get one, it's a paper launch.

Just butthurt people think it's a paper launch. If you wanted a card at launch you could have gotten one. You just had to be ready to go and check in a few times. I had two in my cart at Best Buy and NVIDIA but hesitated. Later in the day I snagged two from EVGA. One arrived today and the other arrives tomorrow.

Read the analogies above...hot Christmas toy - sold out everywhere - paper launch. Nintendo Wii - paper launch. PS2 - paper launch. So much paper!

High demand. Not enough stock. They're going to go in and out of stock over the next few weeks - just be ready.

The only cringe worthy thing here is people calling this a paper launch. Dummies have no idea what they are talking about. There were thousands of cards availible at launch, both online and in retail stores. People lined up EARLY for a graphics card, when have you ever seen that? So by your logic every iPhone launch has been a paper launch too huh? Idiots.

My corporate Microcenter connection told me it was an unprecedented launch for them. They had good launch numbers for a VERY high demand graphics card. They had 2 to 3 times the stock of each card also, when a new gfx card launches they get maybe 6 to 10 TOPS, they had 2 the 3 times that and still sold out in minutes.

This coming week they are getting another massive restock at stores. The cards are on shipping containers right now along with the AIB cards. So expect to be happy in a week if you want one.

If this was a paper launch, then every single console launch since the Playstation 2 has been a paper launch.
This is coming from someone that Nvidia's store has screwed over for the last few days, too.

While the card isnt widely available, just checking nowinstock.com periodically I have had 2 chances to buy the card (Zotac and PNY) this morning. Just not willing to pay $770 for the card so I sat on my hand to avoid temptation :p

If this was a paper launch, then every single console launch since the Playstation 2 has been a paper launch.
This is coming from someone that Nvidia's store has screwed over for the last few days, too.

Tickle Me Elmo was a paper launch as well. Even though I totally waited outside of a Target in the cold and managed to get one. It wasn't real.

You keep saying that Nvidia's store is giving you the run around on your order. Have you checked online for its status? Did you ever get an e-mail confirming your order or have you seen a charge on your credit card yet? Have you escalated it to a manager by pushing through the 1-2 tiers of people you talk to beforehand?

Sorry, I am not trying to be an ass, just trying to make sure you exhausted all your options before giving up.

All I can say is that when I hit the submit order button I received an e-mail within 2-3 minutes confirming the order. Within the same day (Friday), only hours after I placed my order, I received a follow up e-mail confirming my order has shipped along with a tracking number. Between the two I called my credit card company to verify the order took, which they confirmed the order took and the card was charged. According to Nvidia's website, the card does not get charged until it gets packed and shipped, so that was another sign that things were moving along promptly. Yesterday (Tuesday), my GTX 1080 arrived on my doorstep and is now running in my PC.

I don't know how early on Friday you got your order in, but I would think that if your were one of the early birds your order should have gone through with few issues. Now not with Nvidia's site, but others, I have seen orders get lost in purgatory. These orders tend to get stuck there until a built in timeout or until you escalate the issue high enough to someone that knows how to resolve those (usually the first one or two tiers do not know how to handle these). If that is the case and they are able to fix it, I would strongly push for a free upgrade to overnight shipping to help compensate for your troubles.

Good luck!

Back