GTX 1080 Overclocking Results Thread - Post yours here!

G1 Gaming. +120/+550 for a result of 2050/11114 under decent load.

Last edited:
Using MSI Afterburner on a Gigabyte 1080 FE. Getting some artifacting in Tomb Raider at 200/550 at +80 and +100 on the voltage slider, going at 160/240 now clean and getting about a 10% boost in tests I've run.

around 2000-2100 depending on how loud i want the fan on this piece of shit coil whining ACX 3 thats going back.

around 2000-2100 depending on how loud i want the fan on this piece of shit coil whining ACX 3 thats going back.

Did you try putting it under a load that causes coil whine, perhaps Heaven or Valley benchmark, overnight to see if that clears out the coil whine? That method sometimes works, but not always.

Did you try putting it under a load that causes coil whine, perhaps Heaven or Valley benchmark, overnight to see if that clears out the coil whine? That method sometimes works, but not always.

I tried stressing it for 2 hours, it didn't seem to be getting better. I swapped out a cable on my ax1200i and plugged it into a different socket (its got a bunch, and its modular) and i think it made it worse. I'm really sad.

I tried stressing it for 2 hours, it didn't seem to be getting better. I swapped out a cable on my ax1200i and plugged it into a different socket (its got a bunch, and its modular) and i think it made it worse. I'm really sad.

I've seen EVGA reps say to run it overnight which I interpret as 8 or 9 hours, so I'm not certain if 2 hours would do the trick.

I don't suppose you have a different PSU or computer to test it in? There have been instances where the PSU is the culprit - again, not often but sometimes.

I've seen EVGA reps say to run it overnight which I interpret as 8 or 9 hours, so I'm not certain if 2 hours would do the trick.

I don't suppose you have a different PSU or computer to test it in? There have been instances where the PSU is the culprit - again, not often but sometimes.

I think I'll try that and sleep in a different room tonight... but I have 0 hopes.

I do have a different psu but it's a shitty 750cxm or whatever that [H] said is awful and I rather not unplug everything for it.

But this psu has seen a 980ti a 780 and now a 1080 over the last 2 weeks and the first 2 have been okay.

If the overnight thing doesn't work it's going back. I hope they don't have a replacement and give me a refund even though they gave me $20 off. I'm done with EVGA. 3/3 bad experiences.

So I left it overnight and its still noisy as hell. It's gotta go back.

I've ordered acx from newegg today. Hope it will be fine as I don't like messing with RMA, but at least it's EVGA.

Haha, for me thats a negative now. Issues with every single card that i got from them, GTX 580, 980ti and now 1080. I'm done with them, forever.

I can see why kyle doesn't like them.

I wish you the best!

Haha, for me thats a negative now. Issues with every single card that i got from them, GTX 580, 980ti and now 1080. I'm done with them, forever.

I can see why kyle doesn't like them.

I wish you the best!

Thanks. Yeah, i was not planning to go with them, but I hope I can refund if something comes up as it should be easy with EVGA's service.

I've had my eVGA FE now and running quite good. It's currently stable at 120/400 and happy where its at. Wonder if my previous card would oclock better (Titan X)

EVGA Founders Edition: +200/550Mhz, Afterburner 100% power, 120% voltage. Fan profile modified slightly.
This is inside a mITX NCASE M1. I have a Noctua fan at 900rpm feeding cold air into the GPU intake. GPU consistently stays above 2Ghz on long gaming sessions.

To be honest I am surprised its overclocking so well even with warm ambient temperatures and a small ITX case. I was expecting it to overclock poorly and was just happy to run it at stock speed. I also got lucky with the CPU which is running at 4.7Ghz (6700k). Currently the little rig is #124 in the Top 200 gaming rigs on 3DMark Firestrike I scored 19 573 in Fire Strike

Not bad, also makes me feel that my score of 17,984 (23,151 graphics, 13,438 physics, 8,303 combined) on a stock i7 6700k and a mildly OC'd GTX 1080 (+90/+400 and a custom fan profile) holds up pretty well. I, too, am running in a compact ITX case (Corsair Obsidian 250D). I like your idea of running a fan directly under the video card to help feed cooler air. I want to do something similar with my case since there is a bit of a gap between the card and the side panel vent. I don't think I have enough space for a fan, but I am thinking of maybe creating some kind of ducting that would force the video card to only pull air in from outside of the case. Once I get this done, then I may think on pushing the clock speeds a little more. I just don't want it to get too loud.

I have a Corsair H100i V2 cooling my CPU. I do plan to overclock it a bit, but the PC was only built at the end of April and I was making sure I had everything configured and stable first before tinkering with clock speed. I think I am going to keep the overclock mild, maybe 4.4-4.6 GHz tops. I need to do some reading up on the voltage settings first.

I've ordered acx from newegg today. Hope it will be fine as I don't like messing with RMA, but at least it's EVGA.

card I ordered on newegg was only eligible for exchange not refund. Although you could refuse delivery I guess.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Not bad, also makes me feel that my score of 17,984 (23,151 graphics, 13,438 physics, 8,303 combined) on a stock i7 6700k and a mildly OC'd GTX 1080 (+90/+400 and a custom fan profile) holds up pretty well. I, too, am running in a compact ITX case (Corsair Obsidian 250D). I like your idea of running a fan directly under the video card to help feed cooler air. I want to do something similar with my case since there is a bit of a gap between the card and the side panel vent. I don't think I have enough space for a fan, but I am thinking of maybe creating some kind of ducting that would force the video card to only pull air in from outside of the case. Once I get this done, then I may think on pushing the clock speeds a little more. I just don't want it to get too loud.

I have a Corsair H100i V2 cooling my CPU. I do plan to overclock it a bit, but the PC was only built at the end of April and I was making sure I had everything configured and stable first before tinkering with clock speed. I think I am going to keep the overclock mild, maybe 4.4-4.6 GHz tops. I need to do some reading up on the voltage settings first.

I feel like these overclocks are more for sport than to get real tangible results. The GPU+CPU combo is so fast that all games - including Witcher 3 - are running well over 60FPS maxed out. If you value lack noise and the warm feeling that things will always be stable, then just stay as you are. I'm a tinkerer at heart so I can't help pushing more and more, even though I probably can't notice the improved framerates :)

I feel like these overclocks are more for sport than to get real tangible results. The GPU+CPU combo is so fast that all games - including Witcher 3 - are running well over 60FPS maxed out. If you value lack noise and the warm feeling that things will always be stable, then just stay as you are. I'm a tinkerer at heart so I can't help pushing more and more, even though I probably can't notice the improved framerates :)
Well, I have a 4K display, so I do see some of my games not quite hitting 60 fps when maxed out (minus AA, resolution is high enough where I don't feel it is needed). So for me, the extra few frames may be of benefit to get closer to the 60fps target. Running anything below 4k has been cake walk.

card I ordered on newegg was only eligible for exchange not refund. Although you could refuse delivery I guess.

I've managed to cancel for refund. I wanted to get asus or msi from the start, so I'd rather wait than regret. And I wanted to go with just 1070, so probably will save some as well.

I've managed to cancel for refund. I wanted to get asus or msi from the start, so I'd rather wait than regret. And I wanted to go with just 1070, so probably will save some as well.

MSI 1080 cards are a rip off. I'd go for the Asus Strix then although if it breaks you are screwed, their support is terrible (which is why I stick to Evga).

I've had very good luck with evga, even when I've had a problem with their product they took care of me. If I'm unhappy with my 1080 then I'll call evga or deal with newegg exchange for another one. Jayztwocents or whatever his name is reviewed the evga sc card I ordered and he seemed happy with it.

MSI 1080 cards are a rip off. I'd go for the Asus Strix then although if it breaks you are screwed, their support is terrible (which is why I stick to Evga).

I've had very good luck with evga, even when I've had a problem with their product they took care of me. If I'm unhappy with my 1080 then I'll call evga or deal with newegg exchange for another one. Jayztwocents or whatever his name is reviewed the evga sc card I ordered and he seemed happy with it.

I'm not a fan of acx. It seems like an inferior and noisy cooling solution so I'd rather get something else. At worst - I can always get that evga card later or step down to 1070 when those start appearing next week.

2 Evga F.E. 1080s core +265 , memory +700. I've found that there is no need to mess with power limit/temp just increase the fan speed and overclock watch your cards.

What fps do you get in battlefront? Should be the closest to Battlefield 1 performance wise.

I'll post a video but there are 2 different options I choose but can't decice. 3440 x 1440 res, max settings , then fxaa then 150 percent scaling looks awesome and nets me 100 fps+ , or I choose for AA the highest setting ( is it TAA ) 110 percent resolution scale and get 100+ fps. If just choose max settings and nothing else it's 150 fps ro 180 fps lol.

My evga FE is at 2050 boost and +400 on memory with a fan profile that goes to 75% when the card reach 75C. Really enjoying the card.

MSI Gaming X, I am at 2101 boost and +400 memory (haven't tried pushing it past yet) and it is dead silent. Love it so far.

Last edited:
My EVGA SC 1080 is stable at 2.05Ghz core, 11.1Ghz memory.

MSI afterburner settings are +0% voltage, 120% power, 90C temp, +85 Mhz core, +550 Mhz memory.

Increasing voltage doesn't seem to do anything. Didn't play with the fan settings as it never gets over 75C with the stock curve and is very quiet.

Doing absolutely nothing I got 5002 in FS Ultra. 5960x at 4.2, 1080 FE stock.

Couldn't hear it at all which is great.

Anyone try undervolting these?

Last edited:
2 Evga F.E. 1080s core +265 , memory +700. I've found that there is no need to mess with power limit/temp just increase the fan speed and overclock watch your cards.

I know with my Titan X SLI if I hit power limit it would stutter like mad. Actually freaked me out in BF4, first game I ran, thought I made a mistake.

I plan to keep my 1080s under the PL and eventually shunt mod it away and change out the thermal paste while I am at it. I'd prefer no throttling on either card for SLI....

I went ahead updated my clock speeds. Before I was using the following Guru3D recommendations for a mild overclock:
  • 75% core voltage
  • 120% Power Limit
  • 83 degree temp limit
  • +90 Core Clock
  • +400 Memory Clock
  • Custom Fan Profile
Now I am using the following:
  • Core voltage not modified (letting the GPU handle this)
  • 120% Power Limit
  • 83 degree temp limit
  • +142 Core Clock (Used the curve tool to adjust the curve of the overall profile, set to top at 2,048 MHz)
  • +400 Memory Clock
  • Custom Fan Profile
Seems to be pretty rock solid. I ran Furmark for extended periods, did a couple passes with Fire Strike, and did extending gaming in GTA V.

With Furmark (2560x1440, 8x MSAA), running at stock (but custom fan), the core clock would hold at 1,835 MHz for the entire session (max temp of 75 degrees, averaging 74 degrees)(Average 30 fps, min 29 fps, max 33 fps). Overclocked, the core clock would hold at 1,974 MHz for the entire session (max temp of 78 degrees, averaging 77 degrees) (Average 33 fps, min 28 fps, max 36 fps).

With Firestrike (default run), running stock (but custom fan), my score was 17,650 (21,586 Graphics, 14,380 Physics, 8,710 Combined). The core clock would start around 1,898 MHz then dip to about the low 1,800 MHz range and hold it through the whole benchmark. My latest Firestrike score is 18,663 (23,513 Graphics, 14,353 Physics, 8,902 Combined). The core clock would start around 2,012 MHz then dip to about 1,935-1,975 MHz and hold it through the whole benchmark. Temperature never exceeded 74 degrees.

With GTA V (running maxed out at 4K minus AA), I captured info on the benchmarks but only made a mental record of the extended gameplay. At stock in the benches, the core would peak at 1,886 MHz but dip to the low to mid 1,800 MHz range for the rest of the test. Gameplay, would be in the high 1,700 to low 1,800 MHz mark. With the new overclock, the benchmark would peak at 2,025 MHz but then settle in the low to mid 1,900 MHz range for the rest of the test. During my extended gameplay, the overclock would peak at 2,036 MHz and settle in around 1,925 MHz and stay pretty solid the whole time (only going up or down about 25 MHz at most). Temps would top out at 81 degrees during the extended gaming session.

So looks like I am getting around an additional 10% bump in performance over stock (with custom fan profile) with the new settings. If I would have left the fan profile stock too, the gains would have been even greater. I recall with the stock fan profile, I was capping out not much better than the advertised boost clock of 1,733 MHz. I would usually be no better than within 50 MHz of that, besting maybe around 1,785 MHz.

And since I am in a SFF Corsiar Obsidian 250D, yesterday I also managed to make my shroud using some round 5/8" polyfoam insulation you would buy at Lowes and adhering it to the case's side panel, creating a "funnel" for the GTX 1080. Following the path of least resistance, the GTX 1080's fan should be sucking in more air from outside the case now instead of pulling in warmer air in the case. Before there was about a 16mm gap between the video card and the vents on the side panel. Now that gap is closed off. I'll have to do more testing, but I think it is helping a little bit. And so long as the poly foam doesn't exceed 93 degrees Celsius in temp, it should hold up fine. If it proves to work well, I may refine it with better materials.

My EVGA SC 1080 is stable at 2.05Ghz core, 11.1Ghz memory.

MSI afterburner settings are +0% voltage, 120% power, 90C temp, +85 Mhz core, +550 Mhz memory.

Increasing voltage doesn't seem to do anything. Didn't play with the fan settings as it never gets over 75C with the stock curve and is very quiet.

Almost Identical settings on my EVGA SC 1080. Im at +97 core, +508 memory. gpu clock stays between 2k and 2012 running heaven benchmark looped on max settings. I have a Custom fan profile that has the fan at 60% at 60C and scales to 70% at 70C. My gpu temp hasnt gone above 65c yet. Of course, im in a cool basement running a carbide air 540 case with 5 fans. Im using the evga OC software and it seem pretty buggy. Seems like most people are using afterburner, is that a better option? The evga software saves my fan profile but resets the gpu clock offset to +75 and memory back to +0 everytime on startup.

Also, heaven benchmark reports my gpu core as 2075 while evga software lists at 2k even. Temp and memory numbers match up though. Anybody else having that issue?

Yes, definitely use afterburner. After I made that post above, I switched to using the new GPU boost 3.0 overclocking (hit CTRL-F in afterburner) to increase the voltage, which got me a bit higher. I could get it stable at 2.08, but left it topped out at 2.05 with a bit more voltage.

I believe heaven lists the max core, rather than the average. It does boost up and down a bit.

Ok got SLI installed and am stealing Virtual Mirage's format below.

FE cards
  • 0% core voltage
  • 120% Power Limit
  • 93 degree temp limit
  • +150 Core Clock
  • +0 Memory Clock
  • Custom Fan Profile
9587 on Firestrike Ultra
9938 Graphics score.

I'm good with that. I could get into the Hall of Fame if I OC my 5960x from 4.2 to 4.8 Ghz and bump the graphics core a little. Don't care enough. :D Didn't bother with a PL mod. Not sure if I will unless I get my thermals a little better (and I know I can). I have a 330R case which is for silence, but I only have 1 140mm fan in the front instead of two, ect. The heat was previously piped off to my basement via a custom loop.... but wanted to not bother this time around. But need to spend an hour or two doing some airflow work / reinstalling fans.

Off to play some games!

i7-6700k @4.6

KFA2 (GALAX) 1080 EXOC
up to 1.091V
2076 max stable core clock , doesnt go under 2020
11130 Memory clock (higher clock is hurtful to perf)

FireStrike : 19213 ( Graphic 24872 Physics 14633 Combined 8590)

FireStrike Ultra : 5744 ( Graphic 5737 Physics 14657 Combined 3020)

Valley Benchmark DX11 Ultra Stereo3D disabled AA8x 1080p : Average FPS : 120.2
Score 5028

Cant wait to buy a 4k monitor , but still enjoy it on my 144hz 1080 :p

Last edited:
Valley Benchmark DX11 Ultra Stereo3D disabled AA8x 1080p : Average FPS : 120.2
Score 5028

This score seems unusually high. You should be in the 110-116 FPS range. What do you get at 1440p? Did you let the card heat up for a while first?

Your Fire Strike scores look spot-on, though.

This score seems unusually high. You should be in the 110-116 FPS range. What do you get at 1440p? Did you let the card heat up for a while first?

His FPS sounds about right to me - I get 109.8 FPS on my 980 Ti @1505/8000 (score 4594) using the Extreme HD preset for Valley. His 120 FPS is about what I've come to expect from an OCed 1080, 5 to 15% faster depending on the application or game.

EDIT: I should throw out there that the CPU can hold back FPS some even in Valley, which when compared to your 2500K might be causing your questioning. On EVGA's forum, a member with an i7 970 with a 1080 @2050MHz was 5 FPS slower than my 980 Ti, and the max FPS was 50 FPS lower as well.

Last edited:

Your cpu will hold you back for sure in Valley not to mention some actual games. In many cases you would have seen zero difference by just getting a 1070. Heck you cant even stay above 45 fps in parts of Crysis 3 with your cpu where as a newer i7 would have you above 60 fps the whole time. You really need to upgrade to a 6700k and at least 3200 mhz memory if you want to get full use of your 1080 in all games.

*facepalm* Why do I even post here.

Swann, I would like to see your Valley 1440p results (and Fire Strike Extreme would be good, too!)

Back