GTX 1080 GPU Boost 3.0 fail?

You're thinking in terms of max temps. Even with Maxwell, there were temp layers that would just not allow for higher clocks. The 980ti for instance, if you wanted to see anywhere close to 1600, you'd need to keep it under 35c, or you just weren't going to get there. With Pascal, on the smaller process, it's even more apparent. So much so, that say....running 2120 @ 1.093v with fan speeds at 25%, giving you peak temps during an FS run gives you a specific score. Now, run the fans at 100%, and the score WILL go up, because the GPU is running more efficient. As I stated previously....with pascal and boost 3.0, temps are ALWAYS in play. Even at 0c coolant temps, and 20c peak temp on the GPU core.

Not sure why that'd be the case. They should be able to clock higher, given that they don't have as many cuda cores creating heat. That's almost always been the case in previous gens. Might have to get a 1070 and test that for myself......the memory I understand, but the core? Doesn't make much sense why they wouldn't clock just as high as the 1080.

I agree, doesn't make any sense. Card does run cool, but still refuses to go any higher. Hell even with my windows open, side panel off (outside temps here are in NY are 20f ( -6c) and the card's temp under full FS load is maybe 30c, still doesn't budge. Can't understand why. Figured it's the nature of the beast. Happy I have an above average card tho. All I can do is keep trying. Hopefully there'll be a way to edit the bios or find a custom bios. Praying the voltage is not hardware locked.

Back