GTX 1080 - Founders Edition?

fair enough, i just know myself and others here are foaming at the mouth waiting to see these reviews.

If it's anything like the Titan cooler, which if it has a vapor chamber it sounds like it is, will be worth it IMO. If this cooler can cool a Titan X at 250W TDP silently (or 350W not so silently) it should be a joke to cool 180W. Hell you can OC your card and it'll still be quiet.

And the Titan cooler is different from other blowers because the noise is lower frequency which makes it seem even more quiet.

My own personal question is do I want to try and grab a Titan X for $300...

Last edited:
Looks like a cash grab or marketing ploy to take advantage of early adopters that want the card and the fastest thing around. There are certainly enough people to buy it and my guess is they'll sell out. Maybe they need to make up for the supposed 2 billion they spent on R&D?

I think whats going to happen is board partners are going to jack up the price on their custom cooled cards. AKA 1080 is going to cost $650~ retail

That bench showing 2114MHz overclock? Very interesting that the fps was locked at 60-61fps. Also interesting that GPU load % isn't shown. Willing to bet a frame rate limiter is at play here. Wonder if the card is stable if frame rate was unlocked.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Again, we will see after reviews. ALthough maybe you are speaking from experience :D Lots of PR and I am not saying it was bullshit or wasnt, but Ill wait for reviewers to come through :)

Rumors are that the embargo is up May 17. Of course Kyle can't comment on that.

Even if the new blower works great (unlike previous versions), it's still $100 more than MSRP for a non cherry-picked GPU. EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac, etc, will all be selling cherry-picked GPUs with cooling solutions that historically have been dramatically superior to the reference blower for equal or less than that cost. $100 over MSRP historically means a seriously high-end factory overclock and bananas cooling. You'll just need to wait a couple weeks.

Now, it may come out that the Pascal GPU is power-limited, or architecturally limited, somehow. And that the reference blower is enough to get it to the highest overclocked frequency possible in most cases, with perfectly fine temperatures. That's possible. It would just be a huge departure from previous generations, so it seems unlikely. And even in that case, you'll still save money going with an Asus (or whatever).

We won't know until reviews come out-- not just of the stock blower but with higher-end water attached, so we can tell what the limitations of the card really are.

I am not saying the Founder's Edition is higher binned. I am saying the card he demoed and all the cards being sent out to reviewers are cherry picked. If these cards simply just ran at 2.1Ghz, they would be clocked at 2.1Ghz.

Yeah that would suck if we find out that is what is happening. Only way to find out is see what [H] owners say with their retail cards.

I am not saying the Founder's Edition is higher binned. I am saying the card he demoed and all the cards being sent out to reviewers are cherry picked. If these cards simply just ran at 2.1Ghz with no problems at all, they would be clocked at 2.1Ghz.
I am suggesting that is absolutely not the case. There is s big story to be told about that, that involved people I have known for two decades that I am sure would not lie to me. That and the fact that I got the same story from multiple people that I have known for a long time.

But then again who knows what final silicon will look like?

Last edited:
Yeah that would suck if we find out that is what is happening. Only way to find out is see what [H] owners say with their retail cards.
Yes...

I think I related the Intel "It does 5GHz on air," story mode than once this weekend to NVIDIA's staff.

And how do we know that GPU Boost didn't detect a low load and shoot the clocks to the moon and if a heavy load were to occur, the clocks would drop well below 2ghz?
We were watching that card pull a framerate that Tim Sweeney had never seen in the Paragon demo. That 1080 was specifically overclocked for that demo to impress Tim Sweeney. He had never seen it run team time smoothly and it took a bit of on-site overclocking for that to happen.

My statements here may or may not be outside of NDA...so I retain the right to remove it.

And how do we know that GPU Boost didn't detect a low load and shoot the clocks to the moon and if a heavy load were to occur, the clocks would drop well below 2ghz?

Then again, who knows, maybe I am just another fanboy, but over the last couple decades I feel as though I have always been a fanboy for the hardware that has been the best value for HardOCP readers. If I am not telling you guys the truth (how I at the very least subjectively see it) then I should not ever write another article again.

I love blower coolers, just not the noise when clocking.

If.. arctic or someone can make a double and or triple slot blower that can spin slower with a larger impellor?(I'm really tired)... this would be wicked. Not sure how it would work in mATX as a triple slot though.

That said, keeping an OC'd 16nm >200W TDP chip at 67 degrees with a 2.1GHz oc (up from boost 1.7) with a cooler made for a 250-300W TDP card, is not really that impressive. I bet it's a revision of the TX cooler internally.

Still waiting for real benchmarks in real world scenarios.
I'm particularly interested in performance gain over GTX980 Ti running 4k.

eh let's just trust Kyle on this and give nVidia the benefit of the doubt: maybe they pulled off something really cool

you know what would be really swell is if the reviews came out in time for the Doom launch ;-)

If it's anything like the Titan cooler, which if it has a vapor chamber it sounds like it is, will be worth it IMO.
Vapor chamber coolers first came stock on Nvidia cards way back on the GTX 580. AMD debuted them a full year earlier than that with the 5970. So they're not exactly new technology. I doubt having a vapor chamber cooler is worth a $100 price premium by itself.

Vapor chamber coolers first came stock on Nvidia cards way back on the GTX 580. AMD debuted them a full year earlier than that with the 5970. So they're not exactly new technology. I doubt having a vapor chamber cooler is worth a $100 price premium by itself.
I agree. Money in your pocket or use the $100 to go towards a GPU water block for a custom loop or closed loop system like the Arctic Cooling cooler.

i do like the push to things like hybrid coolers that pair AIO w/c with air cooling for those of us who might never go to a full w/c setup with gpu waterblocks and the like.

Back