GTX 1080 Founders Edition Fan Issue To Be Fixed With Next Driver

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Posts by ManuelGuzman at the official GeForce forums confirm that a fix for the 1080’s possessed fans is incoming. Testing on the driver began on June 1st and passed internal testing the next day.

The fan would start spinning up and down for no particular reason. It revs up from 2000 RPM to 3000 RPM no matter the temperature or software being used at that time. Those who considered returning their cards, may want to wait few more days, as NVIDIA has reportedly found the solution and the problem should will be fixed with the next driver release. NVIDIA rep confirmed that software team was able to reproduce this problem, and their fix has already passed internal testing. The next driver should be released next week, shortly before GTX 1070 becomes available (10th June).

While I'm sure its annoying glad it was just a software bug in the driver's. Thankfully it's an issue of the fans spinning to fast instead of not fast enough and overheating/damaging the cards

Maybe it was some rogue bitcoin mining software hiding in the driver bundle. :sneaky:

So does this issue supposedly affect the 1070 as well? [Yes I know the 1070 isn't out yet]

What I want to know is how in the world the fan controller part of the driver even has a bug like this in the first place?

What is sooo difficult about telling a voltage regulator to adjust voltage based off of fan rpms and a temperature reading?

Only thing I can think of is they had it abruptly change rpms at a specific low temperature that the cards normally idle at instead of slowly ramping up speed every few degrees.

Still, I don't see how something like this even gets past the first round of tests, much less the whole QA process.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
What I want to know is how in the world the fan controller part of the driver even has a bug like this in the first place?

What is sooo difficult about telling a voltage regulator to adjust voltage based off of fan rpms and a temperature reading?

Sloppy coding is my guess.

eh, it would be a software problem. from what I have noticed the fan kicks on when load drops, example, during a pause screen. There is probably a calculation error causing the issue.

And I thought that the early adopters tax was only monetary.

Simpsons-Nelson-Ha-Ha-(clean).png

While I'm sure its annoying glad it was just a software bug in the driver's. Thankfully it's an issue of the fans spinning to fast instead of not fast enough and overheating/damaging the cards

Better than to slow or not at all

Haven't noticed this with my Gigabyte FE 1080, I have yet to hear the fan at all.

Well.......they do. They have since the dawn of video cards.

Uhh yeah who failed big time at w10 drivers? It wasn't AMD.

Nvidia is the faultless saint of the video card world. The bias is ridiculous. AMD has not had any shittier windows drivers than Nvidia since 6970/early 7970 era. They've really stepped up since then.

Back