GTX 1070 fan going at max speed at Windows start

oldboy81

n00b
Hey guys, hope I can get some help here because I really don't know what to do :/

So I assembled few months ago this rig:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2VdZD8

The pc was working absolutely fine until a few weeks ago when the GPU fan started going like crazy and very very loud. The issue happens usually as Windows starts but it doesn't happen always.

I first updated the GPU drivers and bios. Then I mounted my gtx 1070 on another PC and mounted on my PC a GTX 970. Both cards never showed the issue. I mounted back the GTX 1070 on my PC and for many days the fan issue didn't show up. So I thought maybe the GPU was not mounted properly in the riser slot (the case is a Fractal Node 202) in the first place. But then again the other day the GPU fan started going loud and crazy at start up.

I then tried to restart windows in safe mode - same. Last thing I tried was resetting Windows 10 to factory.. problem still happening! :/

Have really no idea what else to try.. please, any suggestions/help?

Thanks ><

I had the same issue a while back, then realized that there was a cable blocking one of the fans, preventing it from spinning, and causing the others to go up to 100%. I'd check for that, first.

Edit:
Actually... That's a Founders Edition card, which only has one fan and wouldn't experience that particular issue.
Dunno, then.

What are your temps?
Does fan speed adjustment software (such as MSI Afterburner) do anything?
What speed does it say that the fan is running at? It could be related to my issue, where it reads 0% and thinks that it should be higher, so it continually increases the speed.

I had the same issue a while back, then realized that there was a cable blocking one of the fans, preventing it from spinning, and causing the others to go up to 100%. I'd check for that, first.

Edit:
Actually... That's a Founders Edition card, which only has one fan and wouldn't experience that particular issue.
Dunno, then.

What are your temps?
Does fan speed adjustment software (such as MSI Afterburner) do anything?
What speed does it say that the fan is running at? It could be related to my issue, where it reads 0% and thinks that it should be higher, so it continually increases the speed.

Thanks for the message :)

Yes the card is a founders edition.
I cant' tell right now the exact temps but I'm sure they were pretty low.
Afterburner doesn't allow me to change the GPU fan speed. And yes I noticed that it's strangely reported 0% as fan speed.. but don't know why and also why it can go without any issue for days/weeks..

Ok, sounds like it essentially is the same issue that I had: The card read a fan speed of zero, and increased the fan speed accordingly.
Since it was actually spinning, that caused it to go up to 100%
(the big difference being in my case, there actually was a fan not spinning)

I'd try updating the bios on the card. Maybe it's a firmware issue.
Beyond that... I'll let other people more familiar with this issue to help out.

It may just be a faulty connector or the RPM sense wire. If you have access to that connection point safely while the system is running you could try wiggling the connection or wires.

Back