GTX 1060 with GDDR5X Spotted

I would buy it but only if it had GDDR4, no go for me.
I wonder how much inventory Nvidia and AMD have piled up, they might not be able to give the old series away even for a steep loss.

I thought this was a thing quite some time ago; the 1080 and 1060 were both slated for GDDR5X memory.

Thank you for the correction. I apparently remembered incorrectly.

Gotta do something with all those GTX 1080 boards with GDDR5X that didn't sell after the crypto crash. I guess they pop off a couple memory chips, hit the gpu with their secret jtag tool, bam now it's a 1060 6GB GDDR5X card.

Gotta do something with all those GTX 1080 boards with GDDR5X that didn't sell after the crypto crash. I guess they pop off a couple memory chips, hit the gpu with their secret jtag tool, bam now it's a 1060 6GB GDDR5X card.

Well, that, and going up against AMD's RX 590:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/63570/amds-new-radeon-rx-590-teased-asus-rog-strix-card/index.html

With this news, one has to wonder if 2060 cards will be released anytime soon? AMD is still re-hashing old cards with small tweaks for the low to midrange so why not just counter that?

Last edited:
Any news or even rumors of when 2060/2050 cards are coming? A friend on a budget is trying to decide whether to wait a bit or get a low-mid range card now.

Any news or even rumors of when 2060/2050 cards are coming? A friend on a budget is trying to decide whether to wait a bit or get a low-mid range card now.

Judging by the current pricing of the 2070-2080-2080Ti, Once the 2050 and 2060 drop, you'll be able to get 1070 performance for 1070 prices.

in other words, don't wait.

Gotta say the new GTX 1060 with GDDR5x memory seems to be a bit of a disappointment. It's going to ship with memory clocked at 8.8 ghz whereas the 'original' GTX 1060 has memory running at 9 Ghz.

So the new video card, despite having a newer gen memory will actually be slower than the old video card. Makes no sense Nvidia. Are you that desperate to get rid of stock by offering this kind of ridiculous release?

Meanwhile RX 590 is around the corner. That might actually provide a 10% performance boost over the RX 580 and thus compete solidly with the 1060 but how much will it cost?

Gotta say the new GTX 1060 with GDDR5x memory seems to be a bit of a disappointment. It's going to ship with memory clocked at 8.8 ghz whereas the 'original' GTX 1060 has memory running at 9 Ghz.

So the new video card, despite having a newer gen memory will actually be slower than the old video card. Makes no sense Nvidia. Are you that desperate to get rid of stock by offering this kind of ridiculous release?

Meanwhile RX 590 is around the corner. That might actually provide a 10% performance boost over the RX 580 and thus compete solidly with the 1060 but how much will it cost?

Source? The reason they're releasing this at all is because of the 590.

Source? The reason they're releasing this at all is because of the 590.

UFDtech on youtube:

Besides the memory speed issue, he also talks about lots of interesting things like, SLI fingers on the new 1060 but will they actually be functional?

UFDtech on youtube:

Besides the memory speed issue, he also talks about lots of interesting things like, SLI fingers on the new 1060 but will they actually be functional?

Does it matter? You’d have to be an idiot to SLI 1060 over one more powerful card.

some one needs to start a counter on how often he hits his mic stand and how often he hits the monitor behind him.. honestly couldn't pay attention to the video with how much he moved around and how much everything around him was shaking, lol.

UFDtech on youtube:

That video proves nothing, at least as far as I could make it through it (about halfway).

The TechPowerUp article that he references proves that the new GDDR5X is faster than the original 1060 as you quoted above. The 9Gbps variant was not mainstream. The new GDDR5X is slightly slower than the 9Gbps variant, but positioned to take on the 590 - until we get benchmarks comparing both we won't know if this was a failed move to counter the 590.

https://www.techpowerup.com/248983/...-gtx-1060-only-ticks-at-8-8-gbps-over-192-bit

That video proves nothing, at least as far as I could make it through it (about halfway).

The TechPowerUp article that he references proves that the new GDDR5X is faster than the original 1060 as you quoted above. The 9Gbps variant was not mainstream. The new GDDR5X is slightly slower than the 9Gbps variant, but positioned to take on the 590 - until we get benchmarks comparing both we won't know if this was a failed move to counter the 590.

https://www.techpowerup.com/248983/...-gtx-1060-only-ticks-at-8-8-gbps-over-192-bit

the rest of the video goes on to talk about his theory in that the "new" gtx 1060 is basically just a cut down version of the 1070 or 1080 cards due to having a surplus in chips or because nvidia/AIB's are trying to get rid of GP104 chips that didn't qualify as a 1070/1080.. personally i'd have to agree with him on that part and makes a lot of sense on their end.

the rest of the video goes on to talk about his theory in that the "new" gtx 1060 is basically just a cut down version of the 1070 or 1080 cards due to having a surplus in chips or because nvidia/AIB's are trying to get rid of GP104 chips that didn't qualify as a 1070/1080.. personally i'd have to agree with him on that part and makes a lot of sense on their end.

A teardown should make it pretty obvious since the 1070/1080 dies are over 50% larger.

Back