gtx 1060 reviews on their way

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to come down to supply. Nvidia will price the 1060 to be "competitive enough" with the 480, and they are in a position to be more aggressive than AMD.
If the 1060 stays OOS and the prices get hiked, that gives AMD an opportunity.

It doesn't really matter, Nvidia is about to have THREE GPUs on the market vs AMD's ONE GPU, at least for now. And that one GPU is currently swept up in a scandal.

Where oh where is Vega? :confused:

Hmmm looks like the 1060 might only use 32 ROPS of the 48? Looks like the 1070 can only use 48 ROPS, but has 64 ROPS onboard.

Might be another 970 GTX fiasco? I freakin hope not because I was deciding between a 1070 or a AIB 480.

Why cant either camp get their shit straight.

Completely false. 1070 got 64 fully functional ROPs. If the 1060 is 192bit, it will have 48 fully functional ROPs.

Going by the TPU's overall performance chart at 1080p at the RX480 review and according to my calculations, 960 has 1% more perf/clock/core as a 970.

If the 1060 and 1070 follows the same pattern, that will put the 1060 with 1280SP @ 1700MHz at 102% overall performance relative to a RX480 which is far short of the +15% claimed by NV, unless Pascal has more IPC on a lesser core config or boost clocks are higher.

(Slightly OT: The RX480 only has exactly same perf/clock/core as a 290X in 1080p, and the 970 is still 41% better here)

And there is no way 1060 would match or undercut RX480 if it had a +15% advantage over RX480. NV would charge at least 15% more and get away with it due to mindshare and better perf/W.

Last edited:
I don't know, but I trust Brackle; his predictions regarding the RX480 were eerily accurate, and I was a fool for making fun of him.

Ouch.

nVidia has no reason to battle AMD on price. If the 1060 is faster, cooler and overclocks better it will sell even at a premium to the 480. See 980 vs 390x.

Regarding the ROPs discussion. The pixel fill tests are being misinterpeted as being purely ROP limited (driven). The reality is more complex. So the simplified basics for Nvidia: Rasterizer->Pixel Shader->ROP->Framebuffer. Therefore end performance is reliant on each segment of the pipeline. You can read some more on this here - Here's another reason the GeForce GTX 970 is slower than the GTX 980

So this is why peak pixel fill rate tests will not be the same even with configurations with the same amount of ROPs. I think the poster who brought up this issue is basically referencing an one off comment in another forum.

Also regarding the pricing. I think people have a misconception of RX 480s perf/price (over favorable). RX 480 8GB's perf/price ratio is actually quite similar to GTX 1070s (in terms of base price for both). If GTX 1060 is worse perf/price than RX 480 then it will be worse than GTX 1070 as well.

Regarding the ROPs discussion. The pixel fill tests are being misinterpeted as being purely ROP limited (driven). The reality is more complex. So the simplified basics for Nvidia: Rasterizer->Pixel Shader->ROP->Framebuffer. Therefore end performance is reliant on each segment of the pipeline. You can read some more on this here - Here's another reason the GeForce GTX 970 is slower than the GTX 980

So this is why peak pixel fill rate tests will not be the same even with configurations with the same amount of ROPs. I think the poster who brought up this issue is basically referencing an one off comment in another forum.

Also regarding the pricing. I think people have a misconception of RX 480s perf/price (over favorable). RX 480 8GB's perf/price ratio is actually quite similar to GTX 1070s (in terms of base price for both). If GTX 1060 is worse perf/price than RX 480 then it will be worse than GTX 1070 as well.
Lower end offering typically have higher performance/price, so I would expect the 1060 to offer better value than the 1070.

I was joking about the ROPs, it has 64 ROPs

13 SMM/8 SMM (smallest hardware unit difference) = 1.625. 330/200 = 1.65. So a 1.015 ratio scaling up SMMs. <1 though for other units (so better scaling for GTX 970).

Although you could argue that GTX 960 gave you the bonus of better HTPC features through a more advanced VP block.

3GB cards that perform at the 980 (or above) level should really be illegal in 2016 lol.

4GB should really be the bare minimum, and I do mean bare minimum, given the direction PC game porting sorry I mean optimization is headed these days.

Well, there's nothing stopping Nvidia from making the card 4/8GB. They used a split memory subsystem on the 192-bit GTX 660/660 Ti to avoid confusion (so people didn't buy the 2GB 7870), so they're already capable of doing this.

Since this card is aimed at the masses minimizing confusion between the RX 480 and the GTX1060 is crucial :D

It adds cost, but if it makes a sale, then it'll happen. We can't be absolutely sure until the official announcement in a couple weeks.

Best case scenario I think we might see 279.99 for the 6gb and 229.99 for the 3gb or may be 199. I am pretty confident the 6gb wont be cheaper than 279.99..

This is pretty much where I'm at. It probably shouldn't be any more than $250 but I can see nvidia pricing it at $270-280.

I mean... it's nvidia.

Wonder if it will be an upgrade from a GTX 970. My guess is probably not worth the $250-300 they'll ask for.

Completely false. 1070 got 64 fully functional ROPs. If the 1060 is 192bit, it will have 48 fully functional ROPs.

Sorry man going to have to put you on ignore. You are a known Nvidia paid Shill from Anandtech. You get banned there and come here...great.

Besides the point you have no proof to back up your data...O wait just like Anandtech when you spew bullshit!

Welcome to the ignore function.

Sorry man going to have to put you on ignore. You are a known Nvidia paid Shill from Anandtech. You get banned there and come here...great.

Besides the point you have no proof to back up your data...O wait just like Anandtech when you spew bullshit!

Do you have proof the 1070 has 48 ROPs?

Introduction - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition Review

The GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition has 1920 CUDA Cores, 120 texture units and 64 ROPs

You disagree with this?

Isn't the GTX 1060 a GP106 card anyway, not GP104? If so then there isn't much point in comparing it to the GTX 1070 like that. GP106 is like half the size.

Wonder if it will be an upgrade from a GTX 970. My guess is probably not worth the $250-300 they'll ask for.

the upgrade will be there, but would it worth?. nobody know's yet.. if nvidia scale the same 2 tiers of performance from the last gen to the actual gen then you may expect the GTX 960 replacement (GTX 1060) performing at GTX 980 levels even OC'd.

It could be discarded GP104 chips or, more likely, the GP106 that we've seen shots of. Either way, they're derived from the GP100 so regardless of which path is taken the family resemblance is going to be unmistakable. :)

ok but do you have any proof to back up your claims about GTX 1070 ROPS?

Brackle its physical not possible for the 1070 to have 48 rops, if it did that means it would be a smaller bus than the 1080, it has to be, and 2 gb vram partition would be slower. That is a huge impact when you have a card with much less bandwidth, if that was the case synthetics will show that quite easily.

Now we don't have much info on the 1060 yet, but I don't think they would be able to do anything like that either since its got even a smaller bus, so......

Instead of your baseless accusations. Why dont you prove that 1070 got 48 ROPs and not 64 ROPs as you claim? Nvidia have had ROPs and bus linked for ages. This is also why the 3.5GB debate about the 970 began.

No site has yet claimed that 1070 got 48 ROPs either, but all 64.

WTF? I have seen so many reviews that confirm over and over that its not cutdown. It has full 64 ROPs and full 8gb. If it had 48ROPs it would be another memory gate. So far there is absolutely no evidence and no one has been able to prove otherwise. So until than I think we should put you on ignore list until you provide proof of such claims.

Well, there's nothing stopping Nvidia from making the card 4/8GB. They used a split memory subsystem on the 192-bit GTX 660/660 Ti to avoid confusion (so people didn't buy the 2GB 7870), so they're already capable of doing this.

Since this card is aimed at the masses minimizing confusion between the RX 480 and the GTX1060 is crucial :D

It adds cost, but if it makes a sale, then it'll happen. We can't be absolutely sure until the official announcement in a couple weeks.

Hey, I know: they could make a 3.5GB 1060! Because there's never been a card like that before...

The full "leaked" specs of the GTX 1060 have been posted all over the web:
GeForce GTX 1060 Launch Imminent + Leaked Specs

• GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
  • ASIC: GP106-400-A1 and GP106-300-A1
  • 16 nm FinFET process
  • 120W TDP
  • 1280 CUDA cores, spread across 10 streaming multiprocessors
  • 80 TMUs and 48 ROP units
  • 192-bit GDDR5 memory interface
  • 6 GB and 3 GB models

True, no different than the cut R9 290. Still has 64 ROPs. Some people just have a one track mind.

LOL, Nvidia is too smart to make that mistake again.

True, no different than the cut R9 290. Still has 64 ROPs. Some people just have a one track mind.

LOL, Nvidia is too smart to make that mistake again.
Yeah, just like AMD is too smart not to over power the pcie slot by huge amounts - giving out probably the best OCing driver tools ever to blow up your card or mobo :LOL:

I think we need to wait and evaluate the 1060 and pricing. There is a huge difference in this range when your talking about $50, even $25. All AMD and partners have to do is plaster DX 12 benchmarks beating the 1060 (the ones that do) with bar graphs, some nice game play images, then show memory bar graph of 6gb and 8gb and any video superiority and of course VR crap and the buyer will migrate to the AMD card. A lot of folks at this price range don't even know or care about Nvidia or AMD, but those pretty boxes mean everything.

Yeah, just like AMD is too smart not to over power the pcie slot by huge amounts - giving out probably the best OCing driver tools ever to blow up your card or mobo :LOL:

I think we need to wait and evaluate the 1060 and pricing. There is a huge difference in this range when your talking about $50, even $25. All AMD and partners have to do is plaster DX 12 benchmarks beating the 1060 (the ones that do) with bar graphs, some nice game play images, then show memory bar graph of 6gb and 8gb and any video superiority and of course VR crap and the buyer will migrate to the AMD card. A lot of folks at this price range don't even know or care about Nvidia or AMD, but those pretty boxes mean everything.

C'mon, we are talking about a company who struggles to hold 20% marketshare despite firesale-ing their Hawaii cards against a downright terrible opponent called the 960 and a slower 970, and now they also have a self-made PR disaster on their hands.

There is ZERO doubt the 1060 is going to outsell the RX480.

The DX12 drumbeating can only go on so long before people stop believing or caring (I am in the second camp) about it. All we heard pre-Windows 10 official release was that nVidia was going to shit their pants because DX12 was going to make them irrelevant to the new AMD master race. AMD does seem to have some advantage with DX12 but that, to me, appears to be mostly because of driver overhead on the AMD side being significantly reduced plus AMD-sponsored titles being optimized very well for AMD hardware (who knew?). Not to mention that AMD's much ballyhooed DX12 feature (Async Shaders) isn't even part of the DX12 spec.

But, sure, let's turn a 1060 thread into another DX11 vs. DX12 war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back