gtx 1060 reviews on their way

Status
Not open for further replies.
VG editor says it hits 2Ghz - not a surprise since the 1080/1070 already hit those clocks too, so kind of a soft ball question there haha.

"I hope I don’t have to remind you that our Rumors series are called rumors for a reason. It basically contains all information we can find, but it does not necessarily mean it’s anyhow confirmed. If you’re interested.. buckle up."

bring you salt shakers...

VG editor says it hits 2Ghz - not a surprise since the 1080/1070 already hit those clocks too, so kind of a soft ball question there haha.

of course the lower shader count allow for higher stable speeds at way lower powers, same as happened with mid range and low range kepler and maxwell cards.. so in fact a GTX 1060 may be the better reference clocker nvidia card..

"I hope I don’t have to remind you that our Rumors series are called rumors for a reason. It basically contains all information we can find, but it does not necessarily mean it’s anyhow confirmed. If you’re interested.. buckle up."

bring you salt shakers...

I guess that's common sense, only most staunchest fanboys take every rumor as the holy bible and then start to increase the hype as much as possible. you know same what happened with the RX 480 latest weeks of pre-launch with that card reaching Fury performance and dusting off the GTX 980 while OC'd reached almost Fury X levels...

VG rumors properly placed the RX480 in the 390/390X range.
Similarly they placed the 1070 in 980Ti range - despite people (including myself) being pessimistic about it, after seeing the reduced SP count anyway. Once the reviews came out, I think we were pleasantly surprised at the performance. Availability and pricing on the 1070 (and Pascal), continue to be disappointing however. I don't think anyone can argue with that either.

It's all about orders of magnitude here anyway.

I think anyone watching the recent Pascal/Polaris launches is going to be a bit cynical, as the 1060 is filling the final part of Pascal lineup.
Yes, there's still fleshing out of the 460/470 and the 1050, but those topics aren't exactly as buzzworthy haha.

If nvidia is smart they won't use the 1060 nomenclature for the gimped 3GB card that can't SLI. And the 6GB one needs to fall in the $250-$280 range because that's where AIB 480 will land and those won't have the same problems the reference card does.

Nvidia needs to price this thing right, they can't sell it at a much higher price based on an assumption that it's overclocking ability will make up for the gap in price/performance. Also we are supposed to see basic 1070 at $380 at some point I'm assuming so that would make them too close in price.

Reactions: n=1
like this
If nvidia is smart they won't use the 1060 nomenclature for the gimped 3GB card that can't SLI. And the 6GB one needs to fall in the $250-$280 range because that's where AIB 480 will land and those won't have the same problems the reference card does.

Nvidia needs to price this thing right, they can't sell it at a much higher price based on an assumption that it's overclocking ability will make up for the gap in price/performance. Also we are supposed to see basic 1070 at $380 at some point I'm assuming so that would make them too close in price.

Initial benchmarks are showing the GTX 1060 as beating the RX 480 conclusively across the board. If that's actually true the prices are probably fine.

Initial benchmarks are showing the GTX 1060 as beating the RX 480 conclusively across the board. If that's actually true the prices are probably fine.

I can't see a lower tier midrange card being fine at $300, especially considering that price encroaches on higher end (1070) base pricing. Unless that 1060 6 GB model is within 20% of the base 1070 performance, it is priced too high. If AIB RX 480s with 8 pin connectors , 8 GB ram and custom cooling hit 1400 MHz stock at $250, they'd be a better value than a $300 1060 6 GB part, even if it is slightly faster.

Also I'll add that removing SLI from the 3 GB version is a mistake since it will utterly fail to compete against even the power hog $200 RX 480 since those can crossfire. The target audience is the 1080p crowd so even a gimped 3 GB card in SLI would benefit them in the long term. Let's hope that particular rumor isn't true because if it is, then whoever made that decision at NVIDIA is a moron.

Finally, I'll bring up DX 12 since the 480 seems to be doing quite well in that area and it is where we can expect anemic performance from the 1060 relative to the 480. So again, it comes down to value and pricing and NVIDIA needs to be really careful here. Personally, I tend to favor NVIDIA but if they don't price this right, I will advise 2 of my friends (who are on a budget) to go AMD AIB 480.

Last edited:

Where are the these initial results? I think conclusively means it leaves it behind in dust! LOL, love it when people come out saying A conclusively beats B when A has had no benchmarks leaked.

Are we talking about the slide? That showed 10-15% faster and made it look like it was 50% lol? That puts it right in between gtx 970 and 980. So if you test them both out I bet in range of games they will probably play out equal.

192bit, 48 ROPs, 80 TMU, 1.6-1.7Ghz clocks. Its a lot more than just a "half 1080". Card looks great on paper. Only a few days till reviews.

well dont you think 1060 will beat 480 quite good at DX11, maybe 480 will have the edge in DX12, but on the net the 480 does not have much trust, after that pci power draw is confirmed, any system builder will be sceptic to the 480.

There are already bunch of systems listed with 480 in em. The Power draw thing is over blown. It should be taken care of for whoever it concers. They probably sold over 20k cards by now we have had what 5-6 reports around the net and one person trying to overclock the thing to 1350 with power slider all the way up. I think most boards will handle it just fine and amd is about to address it tuesday so lets see what they say.

well dont you think 1060 will beat 480 quite good at DX11, maybe 480 will have the edge in DX12, but on the net the 480 does not have much trust, after that pci power draw is confirmed, any system builder will be sceptic to the 480.

And on the other note. dx12 is the future. A lot of us are in denial over it but I hear more and more games using dx12 and developers are embracing it faster than dx11. Even battlefield 1 is confirmed to have dx12, so its just going to get better and better for AMD down the road as more and more dx12 titles come out.

Availability and pricing on the 1070 (and Pascal), continue to be disappointing however. I don't think anyone can argue with that either.

I agree that pricing for the 1070 isn't the best, but there has been three models in stock at Newegg pretty consistently since at least yesterday when I checked. Probably approaching the point where the feeding frenzy has begun to be satisfied. NVIDIA GTX 1070 Pre-order & In Stock TRacker - NowInStock.net

I realize that only three models in stock isn't exactly satisfactory, but it's progress!

I agree that pricing for the 1070 isn't the best, but there has been three models in stock at Newegg pretty consistently since at least yesterday when I checked. Probably approaching the point where the feeding frenzy has begun to be satisfied. NVIDIA GTX 1070 Pre-order & In Stock TRacker - NowInStock.net

I realize that only three models in stock isn't exactly satisfactory, but it's progress!

Supply issue and high demand will do that to you. I think Best Buy almost always has the nvidia branded model in stock. That's the one I got. I was looking at aftermarket but I don't want air going back in the case so I got the founders edition. Plus I had a little gift card that made it sweeter. Planning on keeping the fan at 60% in games and see if I can keep that thing around 2ghz OC.

It's like they get 15-20 and they are sold out quick. If they are selling at 450 no one is going to get close to original msrp. May be in a few months we will see cards at 379.99, but AIBs really have no reason to hit that price point if they can make more.

Yea noticed the great horrible shintai from anandtech.com is here. Great another forum that will go to poop :(

I just want to see the price.

My WAG on the price will be $215 for the 3gb and $250 for the 6gb.

Actually I have no idea what the 3gb will do, I just looked up the past *60 Nvidia cards and they go between $200 and $250 MSRP.

192bit, 48 ROPs, 80 TMU, 1.6-1.7Ghz clocks. Its a lot more than just a "half 1080". Card looks great on paper. Only a few days till reviews.

Its half. Its got half the damn shaders and same clock speeds. I bet you this. Nvidia will never ever ever give you a reason to not buy their top end product if those people are waiting to see how gtx 1060 does. I bet you it gets no where close to 1070 even with a heavy overclock.

1060 will be what it is meant to be a 980 replacement. Thats all you are gonna get.

Actually I have no idea what the 3gb will do, I just looked up the past *60 Nvidia cards and they go between $200 and $250 MSRP.

If the 6 GB comes at $250, NVIDIA will deliver a knock out blow to AMD. If it's more than that, then it tilts back towards AMD's favor. But again, if the 3 GB gimp edition is $200+ and can't SLI, AMD will still sell a ton of 4 GB $200 RX 480s in the long term.

No Its going to be 250 and 300 just wait and see. Nvidia doesn't sell you price they will sell you on the product. If it gives you 980 peformance it will be 300, 3gb will probably give you around 970 performance it will be around 250.

If the 6 GB comes at $250, NVIDIA will deliver a knock out blow to AMD. If it's more than that, then it tilts back towards AMD's favor.

300 I bet, because they will use it to upsell you to 1070 when they start hitting msrp. They are smart don't expect it to be 250. If its 250 it means nvidia is playing at price and not at their performance. Not like them. At 250 for 3gb and 300 for 6gb they will still be worth the price.

300 I bet, because they will use it to upsell you to 1070 when they start hitting msrp. They are smart don't expect it to be 250. If its 250 it means nvidia is playing at price and not at their performance. Not like them. At 250 for 3gb and 300 for 6gb they will still be worth the price.

At $250 for gimped edition and $300 for the 6 GB it would completely price them out of the $200-$299 price bracket and AMD would decisively win. This is a budget mid tier card after all, not something enthusiasts chase after and pay a premium to get.

At $250 for gimped edition and $300 for the 6 GB it would completely price them out of the $200-$299 price bracket and AMD would decisively win. This is a budget mid tier card after all, not something enthusiasts chase after and pay a premium to get.

Nvidia tax. they will collect. If rx 480 is priced at 250 and 1060 is faster it will be priced accordingly. Their base msrp has risen this generation by 50 on 1070 and 100 on 1080 and I expect it to continue with the 1060 as well. I don't expect it to be priced the same as 480. Color me surprised if it does but not happening though. Nvidia will charge you a premium if the product is faster. It's just they way they are.

Best case scenario I think we might see 279.99 for the 6gb and 229.99 for the 3gb or may be 199. I am pretty confident the 6gb wont be cheaper than 279.99..

Nvidia tax. they will collect. If rx 480 is priced at 250 and 1060 is faster it will be priced accordingly. Their base msrp has risen this generation by 50 on 1070 and 100 on 1080 and I expect it to continue with the 1060 as well. I don't expect it to be priced the same as 480. Color me surprised if it does but not happening though. Nvidia will charge you a premium if the product is faster. It's just they way they are.

A 3 GB card that can't SLI is hardly equivalent to a $200 4 GB card that can Crossfire, even if it is 10-15% faster stock. Only an idiot would pick one of those up over a base RX 480 IMO. I'd say the max they could push the 3 GB gimped edition is $220 and the 6 GB at $270.

A 3 GB card that can't SLI is hardly equivalent to a $200 4 GB card that can Crossfire, even if it is 10-15% faster stock. Only an idiot would pick one of those up over a base RX 480 IMO. I'd say the max they could push the 3 GB gimped edition is $220 and the 6 GB at $270.

yea 199 for 3gb max 229.99 and probably 279.99 for the 6gb. I think those are probably the prices we will end up seeing.

IDK if you can call anything gpu of the year when it probably won't be available in mass supply until 8th month out of 12 in the year. ;)

Crushing Titan X GPU of the ending Year :woot:

No way would I buy a $300 1060 with reference/FE cooler. Even a custom one is pushing it unless it beats the 480 custom.

Hmmm looks like the 1060 might only use 32 ROPS of the 48? Looks like the 1070 can only use 48 ROPS, but has 64 ROPS onboard.

Might be another 970 GTX fiasco? I freakin hope not because I was deciding between a 1070 or a AIB 480.

Why cant either camp get their shit straight.

Hmmm looks like the 1060 might only use 32 ROPS of the 48? Looks like the 1070 can only use 48 ROPS, but has 64 ROPS onboard.

Might be another 970 GTX fiasco? I freakin hope not because I was deciding between a 1070 or a AIB 480.

No 1070 uses the entire backend so full 64 ROPs

Where did you hear that?

Err 1070 doesn't do that, and nV's ROP's are tied to their memory bus so I don't even think that is even possible. Unless they decoupled them for Pascal.....

3GB cards that perform at the 980 (or above) level should really be illegal in 2016 lol.

4GB should really be the bare minimum, and I do mean bare minimum, given the direction PC game porting sorry I mean optimization is headed these days.

I wonder if that's in dx 12? Even the 1080 is not showing great fps over AMD's last offering in dx 12.

Nvidia has their target in sight. No way do they price their cards in any way that gives the RX480 some sort of advantage. Even if they do cost more than the 480, that is because: 1) They perform better, 2) They still easily outsell the 480, even at a higher price point. Nvidia's ace in hole is that their cards are more in demand. They can price at higher levels and still maintain their market edge, because people will buy them over their cheaper AMD counterparts.

About AMDs supposed DirectX 12 dominance, all that anyone can factually say is AMD performs better in DirectX 12 titles sponsored by AMD (Ashes, Hitman). You cannot assume that the performance difference is completely and solely due to DirectX 12, without also considering that these are very, very long-term AMD developed titles with specific optimizations baked into the mix. No doubt, AMD has an async compute advantage over Nvidia's Maxwell cards, but that does not encompass the totality of DirectX 12 features. There is no guarantee that async compute will end up in any more games than Mantle was. Bottom line, with so few benchmarks available and so few neutral ones, the verdict on DirectX 12 is inconclusive at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back