GTX 1060 release predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepybp

Limp Gawd
1060 is releasing tomorrow and I'm curious about what you are all expecting from it performance wise.
I expect it to trade blows with gtx 980, winning some and losing others. I am also predicting that aib rx 480 oc'd will beat aib 1060 oc'd. stock 1060 will beat stock 480 though. Of course the 1060 will have better power efficiency than 480,that is a given.

In general I think people will be underwhelmed with its performance. I am thinking this because Nvidia is not releasing 1060 reviews from nda until launch day, which is not what they did with 1070/1080, allowing early reviews before release. I also think this because the "nvidia reviewers guide" relied heavily upon maxing out AA in its benchmarks to gimp the 480 performance.

Of course I could be dead wrong tomorrow, and if I am I will seriously consider upgrading to 1060 as opposed to 480 from my current gtx 770.

How many days do you predict until 1060 inventory is essentially zero (as in card pricing skyrocket well beyond msrp)? My guess is on day one or two by the 20th sold out...I won't even consider $300 founder edition as applicable stock bc it would just be unwise to not purchase a 1070 at that price

Also this is my 100th post! had to make it a long one...

I'm guessing it will be in 980 performance territory while drawing an absurdly low amount of power.
I have inside information on this too DejaWiz!

14678415085toLFcilQY_1_2.png

14678415085toLFcilQY_1_5.png

when the review embargo is up Kyle I want to see pictures of it in the test system!

I predict many of us will be bored tomorrow :yawn:

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Excited though with pushing performance up at the Mainstream since that will help make better games for us later :cigar:

My bet is bang on 980 performance, if not a hair higher (no more than 10%, not counting VRAM constraints or Vulkan).

+/- 5% of 980.

$250 will once again be a paper MSRP that exists in nVidia's marketing slides only, with the absolute shittiest bottom of the barrel cards starting at $260. But I hope for everyone's sake I'm wrong on this.

Last edited:
Im going to say slightly faster than rx 480. Within 10% give or take depending on the game and resolution.

like this
Lol @ kyle already teasing us with insider information...

Is it a 9am release for reviews tomorrow?

I expect a conservative 5% to 15% increase over the RX 480. I also predict you will probably be able to buy it sometime in late August just like the 480. ;)

i predict slower most do 12 titles and Vulkan but faster in dx11. Hope ROTR is tested with new patch here at [H]

like this
I expect a conservative 5% to 15% increase over the RX 480. I also predict you will probably be able to buy it sometime in late August just like the 480. ;)

I don't have any clue what you are talking about, the 480 is all over eBay. You too can own one for $350. Just think of the $100 markup over msrp as bragging rights. If you crank the fan speed up a bit, you will barely be able to make out all of your peers laughing at you for paying that much. ;)

Im guessing it comes in right around gtx 980 performance. I dont think it can be much better than that or they risk taking sales away from the 1070. If you can actually find one in stock tomorrow I predict in the $270-$280 range for non founders cards. I dont think they will stay out of stock long though. Unlike the 1070 and 1080 this card will have competition from the rx480 and I dont think either company wants to leave money on the table for the other to grab if they cant get inventory out.

Last edited:
~GTX 980 performance, I would guess it beats RX480 at stock with 5-10% in average. Stock or factory OC, same thing. Massive perf/watt advantage, proper VR ready etc.

GTX 1060 really looks to be a KO card for RX480 like it wasn't bad enough already.

I'm expecting it to be faster than the RX480 in DX11, but slower in DX12.
I am expecting at least a match against RX480 in DX12, Pascal seems to be handling it better than Maxwell is. AMD still does it better though.

I am expecting at least a match against RX480 in DX12, Pascal seems to be handling it better than Maxwell is. AMD still does it better though.

If it can do that, it would certainly exceed my expectations.

Same here in New Zealand. Bit more expensive here though. The 480 is $100 cheaper for the stock version.

Yeah the XFX RX 480 8g can be had for $379aud and the two listed GTX 1060 are $499aud bit of a difference in price lets see if the performance warrants the extra cost, not long now to find out.

At that price difference, I'd say it's going to be a tough call for nVidia.

If you plan to only play DX12/Vulkan games with the GPU, I'd say RX 480 is the smarter buy. Throw DX11 into the mix and it's a tougher decision, if it was anything less (say $100AUD or less), I'd probably pick nVidia.

RX480 and GTX1060 is priced at the same in China. Also US preorders have been shown at 259.99$ for the AIB 1060.

HKEPC jumped the gun a bit and released their review already. I posted it in the official discussion thread.

Take it with a sea of salt

Is it 8AM central or some other time for release?

That is only 1 of the reviews. It shouldn't be too long before the net gets bombed with 1060 reviews so we get a clearer picture.

That review is anything but.

They did say though that they turned the respective game settings to the max.

best buy shoes pny model in stock for 249.99 but it's sold out when I tried adding it to cart. Said it was removed due to high demand but still shows as in stock. Lol. But not a bad price though. I may be tempted for one of my rigs as I have like 50 bucks sitting in reward cards lol.

Oh shit it let me order it. I guess it popped up before the system will allow it to be sold. At 6 I pulled be trigger. Regardless I paid 220 for it with tax, one of rigs is begging for a cheap card. Only if AMD had AIb RX 480s to compare. It's a damn shame.

Hard review shows the 480 besting the 1060 in most benchmarks (DX12 at least, close in DX11). Lower performance than I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back