GTX 1060/70/80 on eBay

_l_

[H]ard|Gawd
wow, have you seen how many listings there are on eBay right now for the 10 series cards? 1070's for under $300, 1080's for $400, 1060's (dual fan gaming models) for $220 ... I wonder of the stuff is even selling at that price point. I would think most PC gamers are well aware of mining cards and to stay away from them.

Should be interesting to see how things unfold in the near future. When (not if) GTX 1080 hits $300 or less maybe I'll buy one because 1080 memory type was not desired by miners so I would think it to be safer when buying used

wow, have you seen how many listings there are on eBay right now for the 10 series cards? 1070's for under $300, 1080's for $400, 1060's (dual fan gaming models) for $220 ... I wonder of the stuff is even selling at that price point. I would think most PC gamers are well aware of mining cards and to stay away from them.

Should be interesting to see how things unfold in the near future. When (not if) GTX 1080 hits $300 or less maybe I'll buy one because 1080 memory type was not desired by miners so I would think it to be safer when buying used

Wish that was the case with the 1080, They "where" terrible miners but got a boost earlier this year that allows them to mine Eth @ 33-35 Mhs, same with the Ti @ 52-55 MHs. General rule of thumb is stay away from these cards unless you are 100% sure they are under warranty and eVGA was the go to for this but now you need the original bill of sale to ensure that you have a warranty. I think MSI is the only sure bet for a warranty now.

Mining isnt that bad on the cards if the person mining actually cares about the cards but man there are alot of miners who have no idea what they are doing and run there cards at stupid temps in the worst environments.

There is a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 for sell at $300 on my local Craigslist in the next town over. I am really tempted to buy it to replace my GTX 1060 but I wanna be stubborn and see what the 11 series brings and how it'll impact new card prices. I also play at 1080p and not desperate for a new card either.

There is a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 for sell at $300 on my local Craigslist in the next town over. I am really tempted to buy it to replace my GTX 1060 but I wanna be stubborn and see what the 11 series brings and how it'll impact new card prices. I also play at 1080p and not desperate for a new card either.

The obvious answer is to buy it now... no one knows when the 11 series will hit. That's a fantastic deal.

at 300 dollars i'd buy that easy.. the 1180 will be 700+ dollars for a measly 20% gain.

just too many copies & Scammers on ebay today not just for graphic cards I would careful what you buy and wish for, email the seller or sellers for more information on card. if not the risk will be your money.

just too many copies & Scammers on ebay today not just for graphic cards I would careful what you buy and wish for, email the seller or sellers for more information on card. if not the risk will be your money.

I purchased the following recently on eBay. 1 EVGA 980 Ti SC, 1 Asus 1070 Strix and 1 Asus 1070 Ti Strix. After putting them through their paces they all seem fine to me. The only one that a seller said they used for mining was the 1070 Ti and that it was under a controlled environment and at a lower TDP.

Obviously these cards could die at any time but I saved around $100-$150 off of each card. The one plus is the 1070 Ti still has 30 months left on it’s warranty. I’m not worried about them at all.

I purchased the following recently on eBay. 1 EVGA 980 Ti SC, 1 Asus 1070 Strix and 1 Asus 1070 Ti Strix. After putting them through their paces they all seem fine to me. The only one that a seller said they used for mining was the 1070 Ti and that it was under a controlled environment and at a lower TDP. Obviously these cards could die at any time but I saved around $100-$150 off of each card. The one plus is the 1070 Ti still has 30 months left on it’s warranty. I’m not worried about them at all.

You might saved the extra $150 off the graphic card. But as for the 30 months warranty on the card that warranty only applies to the original owner, That warranty does not transfer to you.

You might saved the extra $150 off the graphic card. But as for the 30 months warranty on the card that warranty only applies to the original owner, That warranty does not transfer to you.

except for the EVGA warranty as long as they don't think it was used for mining

I’ve never had to supply an invoice for any Asus product I’ve ever RMA’d. Given, I have only used their RMA twice, one was for a laptop and one a motherboard. The laptop was last year and they approved it via serial #. I’m not really worried about it if it does break which is unlikely anyway. I saved minimum $300 across all 3 cards and they were all fantastic upgrades. I typically only buy brand new but needed 3 upgrades in a pinch. If it doesn’t work out for whatever reason I’m sure I’ll change my tune. But as it is I’m happy with what I got and know several others personally who have done the same as me.

I rolled the dice on a EVGA 1070 for $225 (after a 10% Ebay cashback coupon). Seller seems to be decent, so I will see how things go.

Edit- 10%cashback, not 25

Last edited:
I recently got a 1070ti and a 1080 off of eBay. Both in pristine condition and work fine. 1070ti was about $340 shipped and the 1080 was $325 shipped. I bought the 1070ti before the 1080 was posted for sale.

Back in the days when the 7970s wer super overpriced before the first mining tank I wanted an upgrade. Right after it tanked, I bought a couple 7970s (blower style cooler) off of eBay. Both are still working just fine.

well, maybe give EVGA a call because what you said is 180 degrees opposite of what they told me on the phone
I stand corrected.
It does appear EVGA specifically calls out in their warranty that if a card suffers electrical or electromechanical faults due to block chain, or nonstop compute use they will not honor warranty.

touche'

However, they also say if you modify the card from stock form (ie install aftermarket watercooler) or even install or use the card in a way that is outside of EVGA approval that their warranty is void - so it appears they have an 'out' for pretty much any situation -- if they want to play it. I suspect they make this disclaimer to cover terrible customers vs. the average joe.

Did you ever happen to see this?

XFX RMA Hall of Shame. I imagine some of the returns these vendors deal with are rather absurd.
http://xfxforce.com/en-us/support/rma-hall-of-shame

no maintenace
20161020_104348.jpg

another one
295_3.jpg

or even just returning 12 GPU's in one box for RMA service with no padding between the cards, and a crappy old box. (Would anyone blame EVGA here if they didn't honor warranty upon receipt of something like this?)
multiplecards.jpg

What's your story of denied warranty support?

I don't work in the industry anymore but 2 decades or so ago I saw a $40k HP spectrum analyzer come into the shop. It was owned by the US Navy and it had fallen overboard and managed to make it all the way to the mucky bottom before being pulled up and shipped to us FOR WARRANTY repair and guess what? Yup. we gave them a warranty repair. I can tell you of the MANY system rack voltmeters I repaired under warranty that clearly had the inputs blown by the customer but my supervisor said, "if you can't prove it in a court of law that the customer did it you best do the warranty repair."

Last edited:
I ended up picking up a EVGA 1080Ti for $500 that was used for 6 months of mining. Was hesitant at first but that's one reason I choose to go with EVGA. The warranty will transfer even if purchased off eBay.

Got it yesterday and it looks brand new.

I sold my 1080 for $350 (after fees and shipping), so I'm pleased with a $150 upgrade.

Last edited:
I ended up picking up a EVGA 1080Ti for $500 that was used for 6 months of mining. Was hesitant at first but that's one reason I choose to go with EVGA. The warranty will transfer even if purchased off eBay.

Got it yesterday and it looks brand new.

I sold my 1080 for $350 (after fees and shipping), so I'm pleased with a $150 upgrade.
I was thinking of doing the same. selling my 1070 and getting a 1080 ti. about a $250 upgrade for me. I'm wondering if I wait for the new gpus to release will it still cost me $250 or will that change. and will mining put the gpus in shortage again and I'll be stuck with this 1070 for awhile?

I saw that and reached out to EVGA (with the card serial number) to make sure they would honor the warranty. They confirmed it and I've already registered the card on the EVGA site.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the EVGA Customer Service Team. Yes this will be a treated as a second hand purchase. Now this product was shipped out in 12/12/2017 and like you mentioned it dose have a 3 year warranty.

Regards,
EVGA

Last edited:
Saw 1080 Ti(s) for sale at $400 on my local Craigslist. Seller admits they were used for mining but kept around 70C. Worth buying? I play at 1080p@240hz.

Saw 1080 Ti(s) for sale at $400 on my local Craigslist. Seller admits they were used for mining but kept around 70C. Worth buying? I play at 1080p@240hz.
if the warranty carries over to you and theres a decent amount of time left then yeah. once the new cards launch the 1080 ti may drop to $450ish new though.

Back