GTX 1060 6gb vs 4gb RX 480

^^ the reviewed ASUS is impressive. Interesting the RX 480 is right with it (better in Vulcan) at $60-70 less.

^^ the reviewed ASUS is impressive. Interesting the RX 480 is right with it (better in Vulcan) at $60-70 less.
yeah I mentioned that in the review thread for those exact points but if you do go 1060 you end up with the 1070 being just a bit more than it for a hell of a lot more performance. to me it makes more sense to go 480 or jump to 1070. because if the 480 is anything like the past cards and the "fine wine tech"(hate that term) it will most likely out perform the 1060 by the summer time.

Everything should work. Its a fresh windows 7 ultimate install and updates run. Its an issue that is kind of specific to these dells. Windows reports code 43 and a second nvidia video card can be used in the other slot and then it will allow it to work. I got it to work and then it quit working, so ill just return to bb while I still can.

Go with the RX480. Every driver release from AMD has seen awesome increases in performance and its the better card for the future looking at its DX12 performance.

I have a 8GB RX480 and game with an Ultrawide @ 2560x1080, it maxes at 85fps (freesync monitor) on almost all the games I play. Really awesome performance for $200.

Go with the RX480. Every driver release from AMD has seen awesome increases in performance and its the better card for the future looking at its DX12 performance.

I have a 8GB RX480 and game with an Ultrawide @ 2560x1080, it maxes at 85fps (freesync monitor) on almost all the games I play. Really awesome performance for $200.
You sure as hell are not playing demanding games if you're getting 85 frames per second all Max settings at that resolution. I can post benchmark after benchmark showing a 480 is not getting anywhere near 85 frames per second even at 1920x1080 in hardly any modern demanding games. In fact it cannot even get 60 FPS and some of the newer games on Max settings. Heck it cannot even maintain 60fps on medium settings in parts of Dishonored 2 and Mafia 3. And I used a 480 for a week so I do have personal experience and every issue that I came across was quite common when I looked in the forums for those particular games. Really I don't know why some of you make such ridiculous exaggerations about your performances when it only takes seconds to link to reviews showing how ridiculous those claims are.

Either way, the one I have is going back.. I really shouldn't have bought it because it was a rip off anyway. I could have saved $30 alone by just going with Newegg or gotten another brand for even more savings.. Putting a PNY or Zotac ( Mini ) 1060 6GB at the same cost or cheaper.

WTF are you talking about...

480v1060-gears4-1080p.png

480v1060-doom-vlk-1080p_1.png

480v1060-blops3-1080p.png

Are those benchmarks at 2560x1080 or 1920x1080? Because It's about a 40% difference in pixels XD

WTF are you talking about...

480v1060-gears4-1080p.png

480v1060-doom-vlk-1080p_1.png

480v1060-blops3-1080p.png
Oh so you want to play the link to benchmarks game? As soon as I get home I'll link you to at least a dozen modern games where you stand absolutely zero chance of getting anywhere near 85 frames per second on max settings at 1920x1080 let alone 2560x1080.

Oh so you want to play the link to benchmarks game? As soon as I get home I'll link you to at least a dozen modern games where you stand absolutely zero chance of getting anywhere near 85 frames per second on max settings at 1920x1080 let alone 2560x1080.

I dont want to play any games, wtf are you talking about?

Show me benchmarks on the 16.12+ drivers, would love to see what you're talking about.

Edit: You said those claims were ridiculous...yet here we are. In ridiculousland, with 85fps benchmarks...

Last edited:
I dont want to play any games, wtf are you talking about?

Show me benchmarks on the 16.12+ drivers, would love to see what you're talking about.
Please cut the obtuse act. You know God damn well you do not get 85 frames per second on Max settings at 2560x1080 in Dishonored 2, Mafia 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Watch Dogs 2 and several others. Again I can link to multiple sites showing that so please stop making a fool of yourself.

Please cut the obtuse act. You know God damn well you do not get 85 frames per second on Max settings at 2560x1080 in Dishonored 2, Mafia 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 3, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Watch Dogs 2 and several others. Again I can link to multiple sites showing that so please stop making a fool of yourself.

I dont play any of those games. I've never seen anyone get so irrationally upset about video cards...jesus christ dude, go outside and get some fresh air. This card get 85fps on games I play. Its shown in benchmarks above. Show me otherwise or stfu and gtfo.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
I returned the RX480. Customer service lady told me I wasn't the only one to return one. Got the black PNY 6GB GTX 1060 on the way from Compusource, which was actually just under $1 cheaper than the OTD price of the RX480 from BB

I got this specific one, because Dell sells it on their site and lists compatibility with the Precision T3500. I'd actually have gotten it from them, if they didn't want $20 more.

My Dell Precision T3500 needs a better graphics card than the Radeon HD 7790 in it. It is a card I had on hand so it went in, but won't play recent games well.

I originally limited my searches to cards less than 8.5" due to the hard drive door being a space confliction. I found out that since I can omit the top hard drive section ( un screws ) and I can install 2 2.5" drives in the lower bay ( will have 1 SSD/ 1 HDD ). I have about 12" to work with. I pretty much could use anything I want to up to a 500W/ single 6 or 8 pin connector ( I have 6 pin native )

Are AMD drivers still 'bad' in comparison to Nvidia? I know when I got the 7790 ( my first Radeon ) drivers were horrible but they at least worked for games I had

I'm more considering any RX480 in the $250 range, to the $250 PNY 6gb GTX1060. I know Zotac, XFX and MSI all make short versions around the same cost but I bet cooling or performance is better on the full size cards, otherwise there wouldn't be a need for a long card.. But which one do I get? I've read the reviews showing GTX 1060 a bit faster but I can't decide since they are SO close.

I won't loose anything by omitting the top hard drive bay. The box still has an unused 3.5" bay and unused 5.25" bay and I have 5.25-3.5" adapter brackets to use, so my storage solution won't change really

Here are some new vids of bench marks between the two.

Both are practically identical with big difference only in games that were AMD or NVIDIA titles. The only deciding factor in my opinion would be whether you decide to go free sync or gsync down the line as free sync monitors are a bit cheaper.
I went for the rx480 only because of free sync and because it was cheaper..

EDIT: Whoops. Looks like you already made a decisions. Still some good videos for others I hope.

I'm as Team Red as they come, but I just finished an FX-8350 build for a friend and I put an RX 480 in it. Absolutely no issues with the drivers or anything and it runs well, especially for $170 AR. It's great performance if you're on a budget like my friend is.

I had a similar decision and went with an XFX RX480 8GB since it was the cheapest in the range of 6GB/8GB cards.

The RX480 really seems to need the power limit set to +50 like Kyle mentioned in one of his reviews. I ran a quick Time Spy demo while stock and noticed throttling. Set power limit to +50 and ran in a second time time with no throttling and scored 500 points higher.

I've got to say, I'm really impressed with the RX 480. I'm having such better experiences than I did with the 290 & 290x. Way to go, AMD!

I'd probably be content with the Rx480 if it ran in my computer. Fwiw the gtx 1060 6gb pny was 67 cents cheaper than the xfx 460 I got from bb, but I did pay full retail for the 480 and the 1060 from the cheapest supplier I could, and tax free

1060 is a great card too, I just think over time the RX480 will continue to outstrip it with driver updates. Either way, youre getting awesome performance for your $$$.

Yeah, cannot go wrong with either card. My decision going team red was purely a financial one. Could not pass up that cyber monday deal.

It would be good to know why the RX 480 did not work in your system. Was it the brand? BIOS version? Dell board revision? Not that it matters at this point. Just to help help others that may have trouble. Posted about making t3500 based gaming rigs on a few forums and have had several people asking.

Windows reported code 43 driver error. I tried the work around using a second nvidia card and I got it working for 1 system boot, but it reverted after that. I probably could have messed with it and got it to work, but I wanted something more compatible. It was the xfx rx480 4gb that best buy sells. My bios revision for my t3500 is a17

Thanks. Got it. That code 43 error seems fairly common. Some have fixed it by installing a second VGA card.

Which PCI-e x16 slot did you install the RX 480. Upper (slot #4=black) or lower (slot #2=blue) ?

Blue slot, but when I tried the second card trick, it was in black slot. I was using an evga geforce GT 8500 for second card, which itself works fine in it but I couldn't get it to work reliability as a trick card

Back