GTX 1060 3GB vs 6GB. Should the 3GB variant not even be called a 1060?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
Source: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2604-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-benchmark-review?showall=1

"The GTX 1060 3GB ($200) card's existence is curious. The card was initially rumored to exist prior to the 1060 6GB's official announcement, and was quickly debunked as mythological. Exactly one month later, nVidia did announce a 3GB GTX 1060 variant – but with one fewer SM, reducing the core count by 10%. That drops the GTX 1060 from 1280 CUDA cores to 1152 CUDA cores (128 cores per SM), alongside 8 fewer TMUs. Of course, there's also the memory reduction from 6GB to 3GB.

The rest of the specs, however, remain the same. The clock-rate has the same baseline 1708MHz boost target, the memory speed remains 8Gbps effective, and the GPU itself is still a declared GP106-400 chip (rev A1, for our sample). That makes this most the way toward a GTX 1060 as initially announced, aside from the disabled SM and halved VRAM. Still, nVidia's marketing language declared a 5% performance loss from the 6GB card (despite a 10% reduction in cores), and so we decided to put those claims to the test.

As for the naming, that's another matter. This isn't a lower VRAM GTX 1060 – it's a different card. An entire SM is disabled, including one tenth of the card's processors, and it's half the VRAM. The GTX 1060 3GB should absolutely not be called a GTX 1060. For consumers who are already faced with seemingly endless variants of AIB partner cards – Xs and Zs and Gamings and SCs or SSCs or FTWs or Strix, and on, and on – this only further obfuscates the GTX 1060 pool. It's just not a GTX 1060 – it's a different product. NVidia's choice to name the card as such will confuse buyers into thinking it's just a 1060 with half the VRAM, which is plainly false."

So, not only is the 3GB version of the 1060 a 10% reduction in CUDA cores, but also 8 fewer TMUs, and half the VRAM. Everything else appears to be the same. At the end of the day it doesn't appear to be much of a difference in terms of the , but I feel as though there would be games in the future or even nowadays that would benefit from more VRAM. Also, it seems like Gamer's Nexus's main concern with this game is that the 3GB 1060 causes consumer confusion because most would think that the 3GB variant is the same card just with half the VRAM, which is absolutely not the case. My 1080ti has 12GB of VRAM and thinking of using a 3GB card just worries me.

What games will I be playing? Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and possibly more but those are my main games at this time. So I want to get the most bang for my buck and these will be in laptop form. I am trying to decide what makes the most sense to me.

Any thoughts?

My personal opinion is it shouldn't have been called a 1060. When I was looking for a new laptop I ended up choosing one with a 1070 in it. Even though the games I currently play don't demand a lot of GPU performance, I wanted to err on the less anemic side.

I have one and love it.

Its surrisingly powerful and in a different league than the 1050ti.

It is what it is- I don't
know why people hate on it. You know one what you are getting.

I've got a few of both, the 6gb and 3gb, and honestly, there isn't that much of a tangible difference. Or at least not at my workloads w/ 1080p and/or mining.

My personal opinion is it shouldn't have been called a 1060. When I was looking for a new laptop I ended up choosing one with a 1070 in it. Even though the games I currently play don't demand a lot of GPU performance, I wanted to err on the less anemic side.

I have one and love it.

Its surrisingly powerful and in a different league than the 1050ti.

It is what it is- I don't
know why people hate on it. You know one what you are getting.

I've got a few of both, the 6gb and 3gb, and honestly, there isn't that much of a tangible difference. Or at least not at my workloads w/ 1080p and/or mining.

Appreciate the comments and that is my main dilemma is knowing just how much of a difference it really is between these. I am ordering a laptop after returning the one that I had which had a 1050ti in it because I wasn't happy with the performance, but the form-factor/model laptop I want only has the 1060 3GB in it, but there is a 1060 6gb model in a form factor and design I don't like. So I am having trouble deciding which I would be most happy with.

It’s doubtful that the 1060 laptops you’re looking at are GSync so you won’t have the situation where the 10% difference between them will be out of GSync on one and in GSync on another. If you know the games you play don’t go above 3 GB VRAM usage then it’s just down to the minor compute difference.

For me, I wanted the better GPU because I intend on hooking it to an external display that has a display resolution above 1080p.

Source: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2604-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-benchmark-review?showall=1

"The GTX 1060 3GB ($200) card's existence is curious. The card was initially rumored to exist prior to the 1060 6GB's official announcement, and was quickly debunked as mythological. Exactly one month later, nVidia did announce a 3GB GTX 1060 variant – but with one fewer SM, reducing the core count by 10%. That drops the GTX 1060 from 1280 CUDA cores to 1152 CUDA cores (128 cores per SM), alongside 8 fewer TMUs. Of course, there's also the memory reduction from 6GB to 3GB.

The rest of the specs, however, remain the same. The clock-rate has the same baseline 1708MHz boost target, the memory speed remains 8Gbps effective, and the GPU itself is still a declared GP106-400 chip (rev A1, for our sample). That makes this most the way toward a GTX 1060 as initially announced, aside from the disabled SM and halved VRAM. Still, nVidia's marketing language declared a 5% performance loss from the 6GB card (despite a 10% reduction in cores), and so we decided to put those claims to the test.

As for the naming, that's another matter. This isn't a lower VRAM GTX 1060 – it's a different card. An entire SM is disabled, including one tenth of the card's processors, and it's half the VRAM. The GTX 1060 3GB should absolutely not be called a GTX 1060. For consumers who are already faced with seemingly endless variants of AIB partner cards – Xs and Zs and Gamings and SCs or SSCs or FTWs or Strix, and on, and on – this only further obfuscates the GTX 1060 pool. It's just not a GTX 1060 – it's a different product. NVidia's choice to name the card as such will confuse buyers into thinking it's just a 1060 with half the VRAM, which is plainly false."

So, not only is the 3GB version of the 1060 a 10% reduction in CUDA cores, but also 8 fewer TMUs, and half the VRAM. Everything else appears to be the same. At the end of the day it doesn't appear to be much of a difference in terms of the , but I feel as though there would be games in the future or even nowadays that would benefit from more VRAM. Also, it seems like Gamer's Nexus's main concern with this game is that the 3GB 1060 causes consumer confusion because most would think that the 3GB variant is the same card just with half the VRAM, which is absolutely not the case. My 1080ti has 12GB of VRAM and thinking of using a 3GB card just worries me.

What games will I be playing? Witcher 3, Mass Effect Andromeda, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and possibly more but those are my main games at this time. So I want to get the most bang for my buck and these will be in laptop form. I am trying to decide what makes the most sense to me.

Any thoughts?

This has been the deal since 2016. It's nothing new.

I realize this, but I brought it up b/c I am buying a laptop and I wanted some advice on whether the difference between a 1060 3gb and standard 6gb model would really matter that much.

Oh, okay. You could have just asked that.

6GB. No question.

Also, the laptop cards are different than the desktop cards. Most laptop Nvidia cards are now Max-Q FYI

Oh, okay. You could have just asked that.

6GB. No question.

Also, the laptop cards are different than the desktop cards. Most laptop Nvidia cards are now Max-Q FYI

I don't think you're right about that. Unless it says it's a Max-Q laptop it is the same exact GPU as the desktop counterpart. The Max-Q cards are slightly down-clocked, but from what I understand is that desktop videocards are exactly the same as the laptop ones. It's not like it was in the old days where we had say 960s and then 960m models for the laptops. It's all the same now unless it states otherwise such as the case of Max-Q laptops.

the difference is 10% and 3GB; on a laptop I would get the 6GB variant no questions asked unless the particular device you want is only available with a 3GB card (and I don't know of anything compelling that is 3GB-only). you can't easily upgrade the card on a laptop (and when you can, the MXM cards are incredibly expensive) - 3GB is not really enough right now and will really hurt next year.

I don't think you're right about that. Unless it says it's a Max-Q laptop it is the same exact GPU as the desktop counterpart. The Max-Q cards are slightly down-clocked, but from what I understand is that desktop videocards are exactly the same as the laptop ones. It's not like it was in the old days where we had say 960s and then 960m models for the laptops. It's all the same now unless it states otherwise such as the case of Max-Q laptops.

The laptop cards are the same GPU die, but don't boost as high. Though they generally have higher quality base clock numbers (marketing), in game clocks are quite a bit lower on laptop variants because most laptops aren't able to provide the power or cooling for the GPU to boost significantly for a long period of time.

You have to be careful about Max-Q because it is currently considered the defacto laptop variant most manufacturers use currently an they do not say it's what they are utilizing every time they mention that the laptop has a 1060. Currently many manufacturers don't mention that it's a Max-Q variant in much of the literature. Other times it is not listed in the specifications, but is stated somewhere in the literature. Technically speaking, a 1060 Max-Q laptop is still a 1060 for instance, but a standard 1060 is not a Max-Q :)

I mentioned it as I recently purchased a 1060 6GB Max-Q laptop and this was my experience.

Good luck.

Yeah, I always got a laugh when they didn't properly-label their cut cards. At least AMD had the decency to make theirs RX 470.

On release, you could make the case for the 3GB model. It was $50 less, and gave you pretty close to the same performance. But thanks to the mining craze, the price difference is no-longer significant enough to justify the purchase. And a year and a half later, the texture use in new games has gone up.

6GB or bust.

They should've named the 1060 6gb a 1060ti.

I believe they absolutely would have had they not already called it the 1060 first! I'd guess with the 1060 they were planning to flex up with a ti to counter a competing card in that price bracket, but then AMD, so flexed down relying on shady marketing practices instead.

I laughed out loud after reading this sentence.

Yeah, I have to agree. at 1080p, I'm getting 45 fps SMOOTH on Wolfenstein II on my GTX 960 2GB on ULTRA settings. You know, the game that REQUIRES 8GB VRAM? On a video card that was "specced" fo only 720p?

Bumping settings to Medium gets me 65fps. But I was astounded how playable Ultra was!

if you have 16GB local ram like me for cache, 2GB VRAM is still overkill for 1080p.
8GB VRAM has way more breathing room for even 4k because those Ultra textures are the SAME SIZE no mater what resolution you choose.

Last edited:
Back