GTX 1050 Youtube VP9 Hardware Decoding in W10 Task-Manager

softnoob

n00b
Hi,

I have a specific question about my GPU: As I understood from looking up my GPU in nvidias encoding/decoding matrix the 1050 should be able to accelerate VP9 decoding of 4k Youtube Videos. Running DXVA Checker for this GPU lists Profile0 & Profile2 VP9 profiles (screenshot attached).
However when running a 4k video on youtube in any browser, Windows Task-Manager does not list any usage of the gpu decoder (screenshot attached), instead I have a high usage of my cpu (intel i7 2600).
Am I correct to assume that the gpu is not using hardware accelerated vp9 decoding properly in my example? If yes, could it be the problem that Im using a 1080p monitor instead of a 4k monitor?
Thank you for any explanations to my situation.

Video Encode and Decode GPU Support Matrix

cb1.PNGcb2.PNG

Yeah, it's a bit clunky, but VP9 is only supported in hardware up to 8-bit. They only added hardware decode for HDR streams with Turing.

It's all a bit confusing. I would have expected Nvidia to support partial acceleration for VP9 decode via shaders (like they did with h.265 on GTX 980).

Sorry dude - Nvidia really screwed the pooch with Pascal (the same hardware-accelerated stream limitations as the GTX 960, just 4x faster). I too was fooled when my GTX 1060 happily played back 8k 8-bit Youtube streams. But bump that to 10-bit, and it will curl -up and die.

Last edited:
Wow, that is some really unexpected bad news for me. Any ideas why Nvidia lists the GTX 1050 as capable of hardware decoding 10-bit vp9 streams on their own website? Sorry if the question sounds stupid because of missing knowledge on my side, but isn't that false advertising then?

Attachments

• cb3.PNG
    cb3.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's even more confusing given the fact that that support matrix says only the GT 1030, the GTX 1050 , and the GTX 1080 Ti have hardware decode. Even though VP8 s the only Pure Video version for Pascal.

Maybe you have to change a setting to enable VP9 acceleration in your web browser?

It's even more confusing given the fact that that support matrix says only the GT 1030, the GTX 1050 , and the GTX 1080 Ti have hardware decode. [...]
Why not? Those cards came out several months later, almost a year, iirc.

AFAIK, HW decode (especially for HDR/10bit) is still a mess in Youtube. It used to work well for me in Edge, but Edge is now replaced with Edge Chromium, and it doesn't work for me anymore.

EDIT: wait, my answer isn't quite on topic; looking further.

Why not? Those cards came out several months later, almost a year, iirc.

But the Maxwell version 2 is distinctly mentioned in the product support matrix. There's no such distinction for Pascal version 2. Makes you winder how well supported the improvements are?

whatever That's the reason for the flag checker OP posted already. There are other ways to test it, namely locally decoding VP9 videos to see if they work.

softnoob MSFT decoupled the VP9 codec (along with H264 and the paid/free H265) a few years back. Do you have the VP9 Video Extensions (from MSFT) installed in the Microsoft Store? Even if you don't have an account, you can still install it (just close and dismiss every attempt they throw at you to sign in or sign up).

MSFT decoupled the VP9 codec (along with H264 and the paid/free H265) a few years back. Do you have the VP9 Video Extensions (from MSFT) installed in the Microsoft Store? Even if you don't have an account, you can still install it (just close and dismiss every attempt they throw at you to sign in or sign up).
Thank you very much for your help.
My problem is solved, hardware accelerated decoding of VP9 is working now .

Attachments

• cb5.PNG
    cb5.PNG
    317.6 KB · Views: 0
softnoob MSFT decoupled the VP9 codec (along with H264 and the paid/free H265) a few years back. Do you have the VP9 Video Extensions (from MSFT) installed in the Microsoft Store? Even if you don't have an account, you can still install it (just close and dismiss every attempt they throw at you to sign in or sign up).

So when Nvidia made a big futz about finally enabling HDR playback in Pascal driver update, they should have told us about this as well?

What a cluster!

So when Nvidia made a big futz about finally enabling HDR playback in Pascal driver update, they should have told us about this as well?

What a cluster!
What does a 2016 Nvidia GPU driver have to do with a 2018 MSFT decision?

What does a 2016 Nvidia GPU driver have to do with a 2018 MSFT decision?

It took until fall 2017 for them to unlock VP9 and HEVC playback on ALL Pascal cards. Even the GTX 1050 the OP has.

The fact that the Nvidia driver release only mentions you needed the latest Microsoft OS update -not that you needed to install Microsoft's optional VP9 extensions.

THAT crap is what is causing confusion on how good Pascals VP9 HDR support is: tons of people reporting issues with Youtube HDR playback, because nobody communicated that it needs to have this mysterious VP9 extension installed.

Last edited:
whatever That's the reason for the flag checker OP posted already. There are other ways to test it, namely locally decoding VP9 videos to see if they work.

Hello! Thank you very much for your help. I spent a few evenings to find this solution. I have gtx 1650. Before install VP9 Video Extensions my browser Chrome sometimes (when it was in a good mood) play all vp9 youtube videos using gpu decoding, but when i restart chrome the gpu decoding stopped working. I did not understand under what mysterious circumstances sometimes it worked. And dozens of posts on different forums did not give a solution to my problem

Back