GTC 2018 Live Keynote

Is Kubernetes a new religion? This sounds like a church sermon and some dude keeps asking me to spend more money.

He is right about one thing so far, he's losing it.

Is Kubernetes a new religion? This sounds like a church sermon and some dude keeps asking me to spend more money.

The more you spend, the more you save.

applause-sign.jpg

By just reading the thread, am I correct in drawing an inference that there is NOTHING substantial to take from this GDC other than nVidia is just YUGE!?

By just reading the thread, am I correct in drawing an inference that there is NOTHING substantial to take from this GDC other than nVidia is just YUGE!?

It depends upon what market you're in. If you were into deep learning that $400K box could be a huge deal to your company. For the average person, probably nothing you'd care about.

Is it THIS presentation or does Huang normally repeat certain phrases back to back over and over?

Anyone else take a deep breath when he introduced Mark to run the VR driving sim?

If I bought a DGX 1 last September then saw this DGX 2 that was 15x faster less than a year later.. I'd be pissed IMO.

Is it THIS presentation or does Huang normally repeat certain phrases back to back over and over?

I thought it was the stream but apparently not. It was annoying that I had to mute through it.... Kubernetes, Kubernetes, Kubernetes, Kubernetes... Mute

Listen to how every point is repeated over and over in a slightly different fashion, this talk could be a third in length. It's like watching a preacher evangelize.

I thought it was the stream but apparently not. It was annoying that I had to mute through it.... Kubernetes, Kubernetes, Kubernetes, Kubernetes... Mute

Exactly. It's like there are certain points he WANTS to be important, even though half or them are not. And those that ARE important don't need to be repeated 15 times!

Forgive me for being skeptical, but I don't think remote driving will become a thing with that amount of input lag.

lol how he over sells the remote control of the car it's cringe worthy...layers of inception... teleportation.. wtf
it's just remote control and VR, beside the latency is so bad that they had to drive at 1mph.
there is absolutely nothing to be excited about...

lol how he over sales the remote control of the car it's cringe worthy...layers of inception... teleportation.. wtf
it's just remote control and VR

Exactly what I'm talking about. Points that he wants to be more important than they are. Is it cool? Yeah it is. Is it as cool as he's making it out to be? Absolutely not.

Hasn't it been nearly 2 years since 1080, and they didn't announce a new card?

Forgive me for being skeptical, but I don't think remote driving will become a thing with that amount of input lag.

This was essentially a proof on concept demonstration, there will be a point where input lag is no longer a factor, however I do acknowledge that it won't be immediately. We are talking about a lot of processing and data transfer between the 3 environments required to complete the loop. However improvement will be made and I can see this developing into a niche for the super rich to let loose. It would seem that while in a closed environment, perfect conditions, flat earth this is manageable, but once you start to hit rough terrain and the computer system, sensors, and cameras get bounced, I could see it degrading rapidly, which all of course can be worked out over time.

Listen to how every point is repeated over and over in a slightly different fashion, this talk could be a third in length. It's like watching a preacher evangelize.

For a lot of people this has been one of their complaints about him running all the Nvidia keynotes. He tends to repeat both important messages and fairly nominal ones over and over instead of leaving dead air while he's conjuring up his next point, and transitioning to the next lines on the teleprompter. I haven't been to one of his keynotes but one would think that he has most of the speech readily available to read off of during his presentation.

Maybe Kyle or anyone else that has had the opportunity to be in attendance during one of Jensen Huang's keynotes can speak to the fact that he is reading off of a teleprompter somewhere in the back of the auditorium.

stock down almost 7% in last 2.5hrs. Stop talking!!

It would make sense that the lack of a new GPU being announced at this keynote is explicitly responsible for the temporary selloff when factored on top of the pending Asic developments in the Crypto Field. Don't fool yourself though. Nvidia and the GPU is the future, and they are on track to eclipse Intel as the heart of computing. The unique cellphone arms race has created a wealth of low power, efficient, general use cpu's that can be customized into form factors previously untenable with x86 designs. However, the extroadinary Leads that Nvidia is maintaining with their GPU portfolio will continue to distance themselves from competition. Having the resources to co develop several different GPUs for both professional, and recreational/universal application, they will continue to both expand and create new markets that do not yet exist for the GPU. Intel is well aware of the necessity to compete in the critical areas of ai and robotics, making large investments in their GPU division less they be left in the dust with an antiquated business model pushing cpus. If you see Nvidia stock dip below 200, buy as much as you can and send me a postcard from Bora Bora in 10 years when you've bought an island.

Titan v is still sold out

This may be more of an issue for Nvidia than losing gamer $$ to crypto. When your entry level professional products can no longer find their way into the hands of developers, and instead get syphoned off the grid into mining farms, this is where your business will start to be irreparably harmed by the temporary sales. These are the products that are essentially their gateway drug into larger contracts down the line. If Nvidia can't get their foot in the door with developers, the outcome is pretty clear. However, with their current diversity, leading branding in automotive ai, vr dominance, and professional market, it's hard to notice the small speed bumps when you're soaring overhead, virtually untouchable.

[...]

For a lot of people this has been one of their complaints about him running all the Nvidia keynotes. He tends to repeat both important messages and fairly nominal ones over and over instead of leaving dead air while he's conjuring up his next point, and transitioning to the next lines on the teleprompter. I haven't been to one of his keynotes but one would think that he has most of the speech readily available to read off of during his presentation.

Maybe Kyle or anyone else that has had the opportunity to be in attendance during one of Jensen Huang's keynotes can speak to the fact that he is reading off of a teleprompter somewhere in the back of the auditorium.
[...]
I get the feeling he doesn't have a teleprompter, but he also doesn't spend days/weeks rehearsing a speech like Steve Jobs did. I remember watching his PS3 reveal bit. It seemed everyone had darting eyes - clearly reading a teleprompter - except him.

It would make sense that the lack of a new GPU being announced at this keynote is explicitly responsible for the temporary selloff when factored on top of the pending Asic developments in the Crypto Field. Don't fool yourself though. Nvidia and the GPU is the future, and they are on track to eclipse Intel as the heart of computing. The unique cellphone arms race has created a wealth of low power, efficient, general use cpu's that can be customized into form factors previously untenable with x86 designs. However, the extroadinary Leads that Nvidia is maintaining with their GPU portfolio will continue to distance themselves from competition. Having the resources to co develop several different GPUs for both professional, and recreational/universal application, they will continue to both expand and create new markets that do not yet exist for the GPU. Intel is well aware of the necessity to compete in the critical areas of ai and robotics, making large investments in their GPU division less they be left in the dust with an antiquated business model pushing cpus. If you see Nvidia stock dip below 200, buy as much as you can and send me a postcard from Bora Bora in 10 years when you've bought an island.

And when your customers STILL can't get your current iteration of GPUs at MSRP due to strong demand, it makes sense they would (potentially) slow down the release cycle for the next iteration and milk this one for all it's worth, and instead turn some of that R&D money - let alone massive GPU profits - to something like Big Data, like we saw today.

You can thank AMD for that.

AMD's focus moving to the Intel partnership has potentially released SOME pressure off of NVIDIA, but the real thanks for a lack of new card is cryptomining. After all, why release a new product when you still can't keep your old one in stock after nearly 2 years of manufacturing? Milking the current series for all it's worth is the wise business move on their part. It's not the best news for the consumer, but certainly a smart business move. Announcing the opening of a new factory to help meet demand might have been nice, but that's such a huge up-front investment to meet a demand surge that could potentially go away tomorrow if cryptomining starts getting announced as illegal or a massive flaw in blockchains is discovered.

This may be more of an issue for Nvidia than losing gamer $$ to crypto. When your entry level professional products can no longer find their way into the hands of developers, and instead get syphoned off the grid into mining farms, this is where your business will start to be irreparably harmed by the temporary sales. These are the products that are essentially their gateway drug into larger contracts down the line. If Nvidia can't get their foot in the door with developers, the outcome is pretty clear. However, with their current diversity, leading branding in automotive ai, vr dominance, and professional market, it's hard to notice the small speed bumps when you're soaring overhead, virtually untouchable.

Definitely a solid point. I think that not having Titan V availability is probably a bigger issue for this market than it is for gamers. If you had to get a budget approved to pick up one of these to test with, then the price doubles to what you had budgeted for, and isn't available when your budget becomes available, there could be real missed opportunities there. A gamer can find something else to buy, hold onto what they already have, or decide to just drop more money if they find something they can afford.

Back