GTA4 (What would you like to see in it, or change about it?)

Langford

[H]ard|Gawd
Well more than a year away, they are supposedly working on a new Grand Theft Auto game. It will probably have a new graphics, physics, the works. They are supposed to be making it for Xbox360 and the PS3. I have not heard anything confirming it will be released on the PC, but it's probably a given, after all they would loose me and many other customers if they did-not.

I have my own personal wish list for what I hope to see in the game, and I was wondering what things other people here would like to see in it. So please share.

Some things I want or don't want:
1. More vehicles. Yes, there were lots of cars in the other games, but I want more. Is that greedy? I don't think so.
2. Larger map. GTA SA was nice and big, I want even bigger.
3. Cooperative multiplayer. I want this. Just think of what game missions would be like if you had some intelligent backup to help you. Having thugs follow you in GTA SA was nice, but they were not bright or useful a lot of the time. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to get in the passenger seat while your buddy does the driving for a change; Or each of you get separate cars and cause chaos in the street while mayhem around you ensues?
4. Lifelike damage and physics. If I crash into a house, I should have to explain to the shocked people sitting on the couch why I'm parked on top of the television. Scenery should not be indestructible. Wooden fences in real life fall down when hit by cars, bricks crumble, stuff happens. I'm not saying things should be fragile, but a more lifelike destructibility.
5. Better AI. The uniqueness of the generic NPCs would often obscure the fact that they were each dumber than a box of rocks. Given enough exposure to the same NPCs, over such a large territory and it became painfully obvious with time. Just natural evolution suggests that they should be a little smarter next time.
6. I don't want so many linear missions. Could it be I want to cheat? No, but it's nice to have the option to come up with more clever ways of accomplishing the goals than going in guns blazing. If I wanted a FPS, I would have bought one instead of GTA. There were more missions in which one could employ stealth and strategy in GTA3 than there were in GTA SA, and it was one of the few disappointments I had about GTA SA.
7. I don't want any more of that gang-war stuff. I can appreciate that they were creating some gameplay to fit the atmosphere of the game in GTA SA, but those gang-war missions that had to be completed to finish the game were boring and repetitious. It felt like work. What’s worse, it was on foot like some kind of FPS. I didn't want a FPS, I wanted GTA. I should be driving fast more often than walking around shooting clones.
8. About getting a wanted level for escaping the designated territories. In GTA SA you get a wanted level for wandering into areas that had yet to be unlocked. It doesn't matter that nobody saw you leave, just like magic they were on to you. Maybe if the authorities had spotted you before you got the warrant it would have fitted with the excuse better, but to just raise it instantly as if you were being watched by satellites in space? Come on.

First off, there was coop multiplayer in SA. It wasn't full coop, like you couldn't do missions together and such, but you could do what you described (get in a car and drive while the your friend shoots, or vice versa).

Secondly, what I'd like to see is selectable characters, much like the first GTA. Who can we select?
Well duhhh!!! Claude, Tommy, CJ, and someone else, I guess. lol

Anyway, I'd like multiple cities (much like the first 2 GTA's), as well as flying in between these cities. Therefore, Liberty City, Vice City, San Andreas, and some new locales can all be found in the same game. Hopefully Carcer City makes an appearance as well (Manhunt). :)

That's about it, so far.

(In responce to your ideas)

1. Yes more cars! Most of the fun I had in GTA:SA was finding and customizing my cars. Most importantly the damn game need to REMEMBER where I left my car. You spend $60 grand customizing it then go in to ammunation and *poof* its gone!. They should also give you the option to use your car or not for the missions.

2. Maybe not larger, but at least more stuff. More detailed building interiors.

3. Co-op Multiplayer would be amazing.

4. would be cool, but i doubt it would ever happen. They should spend their time elsewhere.

5. Yes, the AI was terrible. They just stand and shoot.

6. They need more missions where you need to be more resourceful. Missions kind of like Hitman

7. Gang war was ok with me.

8. I agree

This next game better have better sounds, the guns sounded like crap in GTA:SA.

The ability to drive without crashing into things, or without speeding.

Mafia had the amazing feature of a speed limiter on every car. It allowed you to drive without scrutiny(no speeding, running into shit, running traffic lights).

So lets say you're heat is high, you speed away in a car, jump out, switch cars, and drive normally. Also, if you have no heat and you run a red light, cops follow you and actually give you tickets. Mafia was the shit.

fromage said:

Mafia had the amazing feature of a speed limiter on every car. It allowed you to drive without scrutiny(no speeding, running into shit, running traffic lights).

So lets say you're heat is high, you speed away in a car, jump out, switch cars, and drive normally. Also, if you have no heat and you run a red light, cops follow you and actually give you tickets. Mafia was the shit.
You want to evade by acting casually? Now that i think about it, that would be pretty nice. It makes more sense than drinving into a paint booth. Just lay low until the heat is off.

fromage said:

Mafia was the shit indeed! I have always hoped that Rockstar would have incorporated some of those ideas in Mafia into GTA.

I would like to see GTA 4 released on the PC, Xbox360, & PS3 simultaneously.

ANIMALS, like dogs or pidgeons.
I wanna drive over them lol. Horses would be cool too...

And i would like to see physics. So you can create a dam and blow it up so u get a cool effect like the day after 2morrow.. u know

Oh yeah, i also want the weapon sounds to be better, it sounds very weak in san andreas.

I want every building to be inhabited by random people/families. So you can walk into a sky scrapper and start shooting up offices/data rooms and take down power. But then go into an apt building and take some children hostage for fun :D

I would like to see an AO adult only version of GTA4 this time around.

The thing about GTA is that if you make the cities much bigger, there's a whole lot of walking/driving/riding that just wastes time. Right now everything in GTA's on about a 1/10 scale of a real world. In other words, while "Grove Street" was a couple of blocks in the game, in real life it would be 10-20 instead. If you boosted it much more, you're spending way too much time travelling or doing misc. tasks and not enough actually doing what you'd like to do.
San Andreas was GIGANTIC. It took many of us months to complete. I don't think I'd be angry in the slightest if GTA4 was the identical same scope.
If I had to choose things to add/fix I'd go with:
1. Adding animals...just for fun extra touches
2. More vehicles, because they can
3. longer view distances (which via new hardware should be no prob)
4. A new locale. Perhaps Europe where entire countries are as close as LA, Vegas, and San Fran are to one another.
5. More weapons
6. New transport items like a bullet train, subway, etc to allow you to travel automatically to certain areas.
7. More RPG'ish elements. I liked the customizations from GTA:SA. I'd like to see even more.

Domingo said:
6. New transport items like a bullet train, subway, etc to allow you to travel automatically

They had subways in GTA3. But I agree that they should have something in similar in the new GTA, especially if it's gonna be bigger.

Flow said:
ANIMALS, like dogs or pidgeons.
I wanna drive over them lol. Horses would be cool too...
Indeed.

I think they should really push the limit for current hardware and not sacrifice all the extra stuff there is to do, but really boost the visuals and physics.
The reason I say this is because Driv3r had made much better visuals and physics as any of the GTA games, though it lacked all the fun extra stuff GTA consisted of.

ALL I WANT IS NEW GAME ENGINE...I want 21'st century game graphics...Thats about it

GJohn said:
ALL I WANT IS NEW GAME ENGINE...I want 21'st century game graphics...Thats about it

it does need to push the limits give it crysis graphics lol

I'd like to see just about all the elements listed previously, plus a few new character templates. I really couldn't get into GTA:SA. The gangsta thing just didn't do it for me. How about three or four main characters with associated vocal tracks. Then once you pick a racial template, you could customize your facial features. Body type and clothes could be handled as they were in SA. Maybe even have the game play out slightly different for each character type? Converging and diverging story paths?

I'd like to be an asian guy for once :D

Langford said:
You want to evade by acting casually? Now that i think about it, that would be pretty nice. It makes more sense than drinving into a paint booth. Just lay low until the heat is off.

Also, in Mafia, if you run red lights, cops chase you and tell you to pull over. You stop, they give you a ticket. How cool is that? It might restrict the player, but it becomes 15x more realistic.

I just saw something on digg. Could be fake, could be real, could be a different game altogether. Interesting stuff if true however.
http://www.digg.com/gaming/Possible_screenshot_of_GTA4_
gta4.jpg

Interesting. It looks a lot like the Sega "Crazy Taxi" and "Full Auto" type of visuals. If it's fake, someone at least made it look sort of plausible, though.
If it looks that good, I'd be happy...although it looks a little too cartoonish for my tastes. GTA always had a pretty realisitic look, but just seemed engine limited.

There should be less cops walking around. Every time I turn a corner, there's three more officers just walking around doing nothing. If you commit a crime and no one sees you, they shouldn't magically appear.

It always bothered me that there were no children or animals in the game, but I guess I know why.. :eek:

I'm not really sure if I want the simulation elements taken out of the game (eating, working out, etc.). There was a reason for it, but it doesn't really make things any more realistic.

they need to update the graphics alot, I mean GTA SA graphics were horrible but it was still a fun game none the less.

I believe the next game would benefit from this:

-ability to save anywhere for PC version
-PC version needs a crosshair at all times
-there should be more vehicles and they should handle more realistically
-shooting needs to be changed so that there is some recoil at least
-how about being able to customize your own mansion once you get up there?
-thats all for now

Oh, according to Rockstar - that screenshot's a fake. It's up on Joystiq right now.
Whew...it was a little too cartoonish for me, so I'm glad.

The only thing I want changed is the way AI is spawned. Same with spawning of vehicles. I'd like a static city everyone has there place and then let them move about it. Not just some random spawns every time you turn around.

Domingo said:
Oh, according to Rockstar - that screenshot's a fake. It's up on Joystiq right now.
Whew...it was a little too cartoonish for me, so I'm glad.
This is what you mentioned, right?
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/06/22/rumor-first-glimpse-of-gta4/
http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=90184

Probably fake then. Kinda a shame, the concepts in the picture were growing on me a little. It does seem a little early to have screenshots, but then i don't know what schedule they keep.

Looks like a potential screenshot of a next-gen 'State of Emergency' to me, also made by Rockstar.

Back