GTA4 Read me (graphics bugs galore)

Stereophile

Supreme [H]ardness
6) KNOWN ISSUES

NVIDIA:
General:
Occasionally the tree leaves will appear as square boxes.

6000/7000 series cards:
Cars do not show damage.
Changing the resolution or minimizing the game can sometimes result in visual corruption. You can restart the game to resolve this issue.

ATI:
General:
A slightly visible diagonal line appears across the screen.

1900 or less series cards:
Cars do not show damage.

3600 series cards:
Can show very noticeable banding.

3870 X2:
Rain drops show up as bright white / red dots on screen

Crossfire game side bugs:
Interior and Night time shadows blink until approached.
When transitioning from interior to exterior the screen will pulse with different
intensities of light for a few seconds.
On occasion the water will jitter rapidly.

:rolleyes:

I doubt it.

You really have to question their QA testing when any video card older than 2 years doesn't show car damage. Hopefully there is a patch out day #1.

I doubt it.

You really have to question their QA testing when any video card older than 2 years doesn't show car damage. Hopefully there is a patch out day #1.

Well their QA caught it and put it in the readme, so I'm guessing it has more to do with performance than debug. Probably ups the vert count so they branched a seperate render path. Just a guess though.

I was totally ready to buy this on steam but is there going to be a PC special edition? I got to take a look at the 360 SE goodies and I'd love to have the a special PC edition art book.

So ppl are expected to play this game with the aforementioned bugs, and rely on the developers and their good intentions to fix this stuff....Kinda lame,and to top it off. no demo either.... I think I will wait before they get any of my cash.

I don't really see anything gamebreaking out of those. Well maybe the Nvidia side with the graphical corruption from alt-tabbing and resolution changing.

Sucks for those with Crossfire though. Is it possible for those with X2s to disable a core?

Also is there anything aside from the graphical bugs mentioned in the readme?

I doubt that they will release such a buggy game... i mean, unless they want PC gamers to complain and have shitty sales, so with the next GTA they will have an excuse not to work no a PC port

Well their QA caught it and put it in the readme, so I'm guessing it has more to do with performance than debug. Probably ups the vert count so they branched a seperate render path. Just a guess though.

I don't think it's supposed to have a separate render path.

If so, that's poor optimization IMO.

Hopefully it will get fixed, because no model damage on an X1900 is a deal breaker.

That is so awsome.

Im gonna try that with no lag on my PC on wednesday. :p

From reading the reviews and the options/performance different PCs are getting, I doubt that very much. A Spanish language site 3djuegos, used an X2 4400+ with an 8800GT and 2gb of ram in their review and claimed they had to lower the settings to look worse than the consoles to keep the fps smooth all the time. Granted your system is considerably more powerful, but I think that illustrates what a beast of a computer this game needs.

I'm seriously reconsidering if it's even worth buying with my system. It probably can't match the consoles. :(

It's a crappy port from what I can see. Wasn't this game supposed to have better graphics? Looks like some hasty work there at the end.

It's a crappy port from what I can see. Wasn't this game supposed to have better graphics? Looks like some hasty work there at the end.

I think unquestionably the PC version will have better graphics, but the optimization for PC looks very poor IMO.

I mean a C2D walks all over the CPU in either console, and yet Rockstar recommends a quad core.

I hope I'm being chicken little, but I think this game is going to own a lot of computers.

I don't think it's supposed to have a separate render path.

If so, that's poor optimization IMO.

Hopefully it will get fixed, because no model damage on an X1900 is a deal breaker.

Perhaps "render path" wasn't the right term. I'm just saying that there has to be a reason that they don't work. Notice they are disabled for both sides of the low end coin. That should tell you something, eh?

Perhaps "render path" wasn't the right term. I'm just saying that there has to be a reason that they don't work. Notice they are disabled for both sides of the low end coin. That should tell you something, eh?

Yeah I'm hoping it was a bug, but it maybe by design.

If so, that's really crappy IMO. It's on the "minimum" requirement list, but it can't offer feature parity with the consoles ?

I refuse to believe the consoles can display car damage but an X1900 is insufficiently powerful. If that is the case, I don't think they did near enough to optimize for older systems, and will chalk it up to lazy devs. :p

I think unquestionably the PC version will have better graphics, but the optimization for PC looks very poor IMO.

I mean a C2D walks all over the CPU in either console, and yet Rockstar recommends a quad core.

I hope I'm being chicken little, but I think this game is going to own a lot of computers.

After reading some user performance reports, it looks like we were right. Maybe next year's computers can run this game fluidly on high settings. Oblivion part deux ;)

Back