GTA V Mod OpenIV Returns after Rockstar Softens Stance

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
OpenIV and other single-player mods are back in business: Rockstar Games held discussions with Take-Two and managed to convince the publisher to leave modders alone. Apparently, their animosity toward mods stemmed from how they could affect multiplayer. OpenIV, however, never touched GTA Online.

Following a strong backlash from the community, developer Rockstar has stepped in to get Take-Two to soften their harsh stance against mods. Take-Two’s main issue against OpenIV and other tools was the threat they posed against the GTA Online mode, and their potential for cheating and harassment. Their letter to the mod’s developers threatened legal action if the tool wasn’t taken offline, which the team did comply with, leaving a significant number of players unable to use their customizations. However, OpenIV was only used to modify GTA 5‘s single-player game, and never touched GTA Online.

I am somewhat confused as the very similar thread that was posted about this has people reporting that this mod allowed people to spawn shit in the middle of multiplayer environments and enabled cheating, etc. Either this article is wrong or there were a lot of people in that last thread spouting BS.

There were two different Mods that were shut down, at least that were in the public eyes. The other one was a paid service that you paid them $15 a month and they allowed you to spawn shit in the middle of multiplayer games, kick people from servers, teleport people, get unlimited money... They were forced to donate all their money that they still had left to charity to avoid anything more than the C&D letter.

It's a shame that it even happened in the first place, but at least they actually listened and addressed the issue vs just swimming around in piles of money yelling "Lol, whatevs".

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...into-leaving-grand-theft-auto-v-modders-alone

I guess it would have been more accurate to say that OpenIV never intended to touch GTA Online; the Motherboard article suggests that some did use it to affect multiplayer:

The second (ii) stipulation here is where things get complicated. The whole reason OpenIV is so popular in the modding community is that it allows users to decrypt, read, and edit the game's proprietary file format. That's what makes-single player modding possible. The issue is that some users have taken advantage of this ability to tinker with GTA Online, ruining the experience for other players by cheating.

Earlier this week Krivoruchko told Motherboard that he never designed OpenIV for this purpose. He said that he's not interested in GTA Online at all. But he did concede that it is possible that some modders have used OpenIV to impact GTA Online. At Krivoruchko's request, Motherboard is not detailing the methods he discussed so as not to cause more trouble in GTA Online.

The damage is done and deep. Many won't forgive something like this.
I think most of us pay for games to support the developer, not the publisher. If the developer reacted immediately in support of the fans and got the publisher to reverse their decision, that only makes them more likeable.

I think most of us pay for games to support the developer, not the publisher. If the developer reacted immediately in support of the fans and got the publisher to reverse their decision, that only makes them more likeable.

I have a short list of developers that I really appreciate their art and will buy their wares whenever they are released. I also have a much shorter list of publishers that I will turn to for an impulse buy as they usually back quality developers. With that said, I'm glad that Rockstar talked some sense into their bosses. ;)

The issue is that some users have taken advantage of this ability to tinker with GTA Online, ruining the experience for other players by cheating.

GTA Online was trash anyways with the Armored Kuruma kiddies ruining roaming, imo. Don't need cheats when you have that cheese.

Apparently, their animosity toward mods stemmed from how they could affect multiplayer. OpenIV, however, never touched GTA Online.

Affect multiplayer? More like they were afraid that it'd steal from the bottom line (more micro transactions!).

I firmly believe they didn't like the fact people could mod their MP DLC into the single player game - they need players in MP so they can get cash out of them. They want that strictly multiplayer so that they can charge a ridiculous amount for shark cards. Shark cards are like gambling machines that default to "credits" (and most mobile games), they're used to psychologically remove the dollar aspect from the purchase. By making the player acquire in-game currency in bulk, they're less likely to realize down the road that the sweet in-game hat they just bought cost $5 actual money.

This gesture to OpenIV is only for publicity; nothing has really changed.

I'm confused. From the statement it sounds like they're going to allow SP modding but in the restrictions they say that it doesn't apply to " tools, files, libraries, or functions that could be used to impact multiplayer or online services" which sounds like they won't allow anything since the assets are shared between MP and SP(AFAIK).

I guess I'll have to wait and see how this all shakes out. If they do backtrack and allow SP modding I'm more than willing to forgive and forget but based on the conflicting statements I'm not holding my breath, also it seems like there's been some animosity towards modding at Rockstar/T2 since the whole hot coffee thing.

The coffee mod was Rockstars own content that someone else enabled. Heh

Affect multiplayer? More like they were afraid that it'd steal from the bottom line (more micro transactions!).

I firmly believe they didn't like the fact people could mod their MP DLC into the single player game - they need players in MP so they can get cash out of them. They want that strictly multiplayer so that they can charge a ridiculous amount for shark cards. Shark cards are like gambling machines that default to "credits" (and most mobile games), they're used to psychologically remove the dollar aspect from the purchase. By making the player acquire in-game currency in bulk, they're less likely to realize down the road that the sweet in-game hat they just bought cost $5 actual money.

See, the issue is that you don't HAVE to buy shark cards. You decide if you want to buy them just to not play the game as much. Also yes it affects MP. I bought the game on the PC, played it for 1 hour and never touched it again. I will only play the game on consoles. That is the reason that all my multiplayer games that I play are on consoles. I would never play a multiplayer game on a PC. You play FPS games you have people use aim bot or some other cheat to kill you no matter where you are, you play GTA Online and get kicked or get fucked in other ways, there is no good online games for PC because somebody is going to mod something to fuck over those that just want to play to have fun.

Back