GTA...Overhyped, your opinions?

Grentz

Fully [H]
This is not a flame bait, but just a bit of a tangent from the normal trend of loving GTA.

Frankly...I am sorta disappointed. I am having a real tough time getting into this one and feeling apart of it. Yes there are some really cool things, I love many of the little details put in (like hailing cabs, actually breaking into parked cars, cell phone, etc.)....but, I am still not feeling it as much as the last GTA games and even games like Crackdown and Saints Row.

The controls still feel heavy and bulky, the character just feels like a chore to move around and get where you want him to be. This ruins a lot of the gun fights and such.

The car camera is really low, makes it hard to see what is going on without holding slightly up on the right stick which gets annoying. Changing car views than makes the car about 10 miles away which sucks as well.

The missions are very simplistic and lacking the depth that the earlier games had.

There are barely any side games I have found so far...great bowling, darts, etc :rolleyes: Where are my car collection tasks, ice cream truck driver, taxi driver, police, fire, motorcylce school, car school, etc.? Those were a lot more fun...

The map is way to confusing. I have played for a few hours and still know pretty much no where, only a few select areas. On GTA3 and VC I knew the whole game like the back of my hand. Saints Row and Crackdown I also learned most of the map. On San Andreas it was a bit harder, but still you learned it after awhile. They packed so many roads and such into this one...that it is almost impossible to learn totally. I kinda liked knowing where I was at all times.

The dialog sound is way mute compared to the game sounds. Using a surround sound system, the atmosphere sounds are extremely loud while the dialog is hard to here...annoying. This happens on lots of games though, so whatever, I can live with it.

Cars are very generic. So many look like each other and act like each other and there are not very many "cool" cars. There are a few, but they are rare.

New cops circle thing is neat, but gets impossible to beat. 6 Star wanted level, I was hiding in the subways. Walked about 10 miles, no cops around that could see me. But when I walked outside of the circle by going through the subways, it would almost instantly make a new circle centered where I was ?!?!? No cop saw me! The stars even stayed grayed out. It is just impossible to get rid of 6 stars now! (this is coming from someone who was the master at getting rid of stars in the last games). I really like the circle as you have a good idea of how to get rid of cops, but you no longer can hide close by and still get rid of stars!?!?!

Well, I dont care, flame away, these are my opinions so you do not have to quote my text and tell me why you think it is wrong. I know lots love the game, but IMO it has been a let down so far. I want GTA3, VC, and SA back!

I played for about 2 hours last night. I find the controls clunky and retarded, but thats true for me for all console games. It just never seems to do what I want. When you fight those two loan sharks guys for the first time, it just wouldn't do what I wanted. Couldn't block, couldn't kick, and Niko just kept spinning around if I tried to move him. I guess either you get console controllers or you dont. Im one of the donts.

The graphics were nice, but the whole "lets blur everything to make it look realistic" seems like a step in the wrong direction. I prefer sharp and crisp graphics if possible.

Story line and voice acting are very good for the most part. I took Michelle bowling and it was *boring*. I got a feeling I wont be doing any more date/side quests if they are all like that.

Since this was the first time ive fired up my Xbox360 in nearly 6 months and I was left feeling meh, im considering selling it and just hoping/waiting for a PC version.

*feels GTA and those types games on the whole are crap that caters to people who like to kill things as opposed to say....RPGs like Oblivion where you have great graphics, sound, control, plenty to do but the focus isn't on being a degenerate criminal*

*feels 3D GTA and Final Fantasy 7 are tied for Most Overrated Game EVER*

*puts on flame suit*

Not overhyped in the least, it delivers what was expected. It's an amazing game.

wtf are you talking about? overhyped? by who?

wtf are you talking about? overhyped? by who?

IMHO, by the people who play it. I have never honestly, seen a random person playing these games and actually doing a mission, all I ever see is peole wandering around killing people or stealing vehicles and driving around aimlessly. BTW, I do not mean at stores, I mean in homes and gaming centers. I can't get into it. I tried GTA3 and Vice City and was bored in 10 minutes. It is clunky and simple. It's imitators suck worse, except maybe Crackdown.

To put it in perspective. I drive by a gamestop here in Dallas on the way back from work late most nights, so I get to see the midnight launch lines that make the news anytime a new console/handheld or much anticipated game comes out.

Gta was just another line, probably about 200 people in line, maybe a little more, nothing special.

Halo3 was a line that went around the block, maybe a bit over 1200 people, they had a two story tall inflatable mountain dew can in the parking lot with master chief on the cover. What looked like an 18 wheeler thats back area opened up and had what looked like big ass projection or plasma tvs so people could play local multiplayer. A small circus sized tent. A hummer for some local radio station, and at least two news vans.

Was GTA4 overhyped? sure, all games are these days. Was it the most overhyped ever? newp.

I wouldn't say it was overhyped as it is pretty awesome.
What I will say is that it has enough flaws to make me really question all of these 10/10 reviews. I really think a lot of press just wanted to be the first to declare it to be awesome.

I've played it for about 5 hours and it's a great game, but no worthy of a 10/10. Some of the missions so far are similiar to GTA SA and VC, but not as fresh in my opinion. It's taking awhile to get use to the new car mechanics. The e brake is really hard.

I like the graphics for the most part, better than the previous, but comparing to the last game I played, Crysis, it doesn't hold a candle. Not expecting it too, but this dithering can get annoying.

It's funny I've been playing for a bit and just realized I don't have any weapons yet. I think that's what I have to do now. I'm on the mission where you are first introduced to taking the subway.

So far, 8.5/10

I think its overhyped, but either way its a damn good game and im loving it. But yeah id definitely agree its not as overhyped as the Halo series.

For a console game its excellent.
The graphics power is 2 generations behind now (well, 1.5 generations) so we cant expect what we are getting used to on the PC.
Expect motion blur to compensate for lower framerate and blurring the background to reduce rendering workload.

Given that, GTA IV is an excellent game and looks especially good on a big plasma.

Definitely not over hyped, but there are some flaws that many reviews totally fail to mention.

I played it for an hour or so and put it back in the box. I agree with the first two poster's complaints and then some. My biggest complaint is the graphics. Everything is gloomy, monotone, and blurred making it difficult to distinguish things from far away on the sofa. Before anyone labels me as a GTA hater hit the search button, I love this series but I'm done with this version. I'll see if I can sell it and recoup some of my wasted money.....a perfect example of why EVERY game needs a playable demo.

Oh and yes, it's waaaaaay overhyped. Based on what I saw I give it a 4/10. I'll stick to San Andreas. What a waste, I basically bought a 360 specifically for this game. Thank God for Forza.

4/10...wow!
I was thinking closer to 8.5, and I'm a pretty big fan, too. I still think it's great, but it just doesn't feel right, and there are lots of technical issues that no reviewers even acknowledged.

I'm not a huge GTA fan, but enjoy playing them none the less. So far I've found this game a little hard to get into. After a few hours though I'm finally getting the hang of things.

I think my biggest problem so far is that I let myself get overhyped by the reviews. This is definitely not at 10/10 game. There are way too many technical issues (mostly with the controls) to warrant a perfect score here. Not to mention the fact that this game doesn't feel revolutionary in any way compared to it's predecessors. I'd call it more evolutionary.

Still a really fun game so far. Which in the end is what's most important for me.

I played it for an hour or so and put it back in the box.

You played a GTA game for 1 hour and put it away? I'm not flaming you because I have my own complaints with the game now that I am a little more comfortable with it but only giving a game an hour isn't enough to make a judgement call. I played it for an hour the first night I got it and wasn't blown away either but once you get out past the tutorial missions and get to the deeper missions it becomes a whole new game. There are a lot of courier missions that you get at first to learn the city a bit better.

The start is far to slow I think but it does a good job up ramping the difficulty gradually. That is so you aren't overwhelmed when you suddenly have to chase someone down at high speeds through thick traffic, then gun down a group of his friends by yourself. If that was the first mission I would have thrown my controller at the TV and put the game away. By the time you hit that mission you already have a good grasp on the vehicle controls. The vehicle controls are annoying and not like any driving/racing game I've ever played (Forza, NFS series, GT, etc.)

At 7-8hrs in I've already made more headway that I did in San Andreas because it's much more condensed and keeps you engaged in the story lines if you want to be.

Give it another shot later on and I think you will enjoy it more.

I don't feel that this one offers anything spectacularly different than previous titles, I feel like the reviewers played a different game than I have in my possession currently, and I have no clue how something like this was rated so high, no matter how the reasoning is arrived at.

I even waited to read reviews until after I had bought and played the game, so I wouldn't have a predispositioned opinion about it. I'm still playing it, but I'm sorta wondering if maybe I've just had a change in tastes since so long ago when GTA3 came around.

I also don't know how anyone could find the controls acceptable for this game when both platforms have had multiple examples of tight 3rd person control schemes done right, this one feels like garbage.

ive played it for about 7 hours last night....so a total of 10...

I dreamt the entire night about the game...it was wierd

im so into it...its amazing...and their are side missions...you havnt played it enough to get to them

have you used the internet yet?...there is a guy that pays you to steal him cars

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933036.asp

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933037.asp

^^ Those kinds of numbers are impossible.

The major outlets fell into full overhype mode IMO.

^^ Look at those review scores, numbers, and averages. Yes, it's incredibly overhyped and I'm saying this as a huge GTA fan.

For me, the game is a strong 9/10 with my GTA fan bias in full play, but there are some control issues, camera issues, and some graphical issues on both consoles that I simply cannot give a "perfect or revolutionary" score like a 10/10 or 5/5 clearly suggests. It just isn't so.

In some cases it's already happening but I want to see what people are saying in about a month or so when the honeymoon glow wears off and the hype dies down and we really get down to it.

I wonder if some of those outlets revise their reviews in hindsight when the hype does down...

You need to get past the tutorial missions before you can really appreciate what the game has to offer.
You will open up side missions like Taxi missions, Police missions by using the Police computer found in police cars, missions from other contacts in your mobile phone (especially if you can taken the time to go drinking or whatever with them), plus if you see a blue/purple figure on your mini map as you drive around and you stop to talk to them, that will open up additional missions.
There are street racing missions you can do, missions that involve delivering "packages" which get a more complicated than they first appear.
In fact I am finding so much to do in the game that I am struggling to focus on the main story.
I personally think the game has lived up to the hype. I was not a huge fan of the previous games but this one has got me hooked.

Oh and yes, it's waaaaaay overhyped. Based on what I saw I give it a 4/10. I'll stick to San Andreas. What a waste, I basically bought a 360 specifically for this game. Thank God for Forza.

ROFL and you call yourself a fan of the series. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

San Andreas over GTAIV my ass. Your 4/10 means jack when other real reviewers played the game much longer than you and didn't skimp out after an hour. An hour hardly gets you settled into the apartment.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933036.asp

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/933037.asp

^^ Those kinds of numbers are impossible.

The major outlets fell into full overhype mode IMO.

^^ Look at those review scores, numbers, and averages. Yes, it's incredibly overhyped and I'm saying this as a huge GTA fan.

For me, the game is a strong 9/10 with my GTA fan bias in full play, but there are some control issues, camera issues, and some graphical issues on both consoles that I simply cannot give a "perfect or revolutionary" score like a 10/10 or 5/5 clearly suggests. It just isn't so.

In some cases it's already happening but I want to see what people are saying in about a month or so when the honeymoon glow wears off and the hype dies down and we really get down to it.

I wonder if some of those outlets revise their reviews in hindsight when the hype does down...

The thing is, if you look at the average scores for all the GTA games on Gamerankings it has gone from 94.9% for GTA3 to 95.2 for GTA:SA. Now most people will agree that GTA4 is a big improvement over the past games, especially when you take multiplayer into consideration. So GTA4 logically should score higher than the past games.
98.6% & 99.6% is very high but over the comes weeks and months that score will definately drop as more website and magazine review the game.

I don't think it's a bad game at all, but I think we may be seeing another Black & White here. I was expecting something revolutionary after reading some of the reviews, but it just looks like another GTA game with (sort of) improved graphics.

When I started playing I found the controls to be kinda clunky, but I gave it a chance...

8 hours into single-player (with 3 or so logged into MP as well), it just keeps getting better.

I waited a day for people to get it and post their opinions. I tried the game with an open mind and tried to ignore the hype and fanboy-ism when I played.

Overall, Im pleased, very pleased. I have only 3 hours in it so far, and I have spent around 1/2 doing missions. They are easy and quick. A nice feature, because a game like this, you want to freeroam as much as you can, so the missions don't take much time away.
I dont mind the low camera angle, but I do get annoyed that the camera delays when your turning a bend, you see the side of your car and not where you are going.

The cars are fun, I enjoy the new driving physics, though hard to get used to, but I like being able to drive over stuff and enjoy the crashes. Now, high speed clipping a car sends you on a burnout-paradise crash through pedestrians and street clutter.

At first I was annoyed with the car driving, but after a few hours, Im getting quite good at it. Not going flat out is the key, since the streets are narrow, with cars parked almost traffic-jam style congestion, its frustrating, but realistic.

I spent lots of time in a pickup just pushing other cars around, rolling them over and such.

I havent been arrested yet. I really like the new police system.

Personally, I love it. I give it 10/10 and know that I'll get more play out of it then any other game over the past 4 years.

This is one of the better sequels I've played and I think most of the hype come from this. People wanting a better GTA got one. If you didn't like previous games in the series there isn't really anything in IV that's going to change your mind.

Definitely not over hyped, but there are some flaws that many reviews totally fail to mention.

I think some reviewers are afraid to criticize something as popular as the GTA series.

To get an honest review you'll just have to wait for Zero Punctuation to review the game. Yahtzee isn't afraid of making a few critical remarks about a game.:)

See the interesting twist for me is that I am a HUGE fan of 3, VC, and SA. I absolutly LOVED those games.

IV is just not doing it for me though, the biggest issue is the clunky controls IMO. That is not a "console" issue as the other GTA games controls were great (I had them for PS2 and Xbox) as are Crackdowns. But IV just is slow and retarded feeling. He never goes where I want him to and I think a baby could crawl faster than he walks.

That, and the boring/no existant side missions are what are annoying me the most. I felt much more into the game in VC and 3, even if the graphics were worse and the gameplay more simplistic.

As far as overhyped, if you cannot see the hype you are blind! Commercials, every store, every street ad, its GTA EVERYWHERE. Halo was probably more hyped, I agree, but I thought the same thing with Halo 3...2 was much better, simplistic, you could get into it (not saying it was the best game of all time, but decent)...3 just lost me and I gave up on it after awhile.

The thing is, if you look at the average scores for all the GTA games on Gamerankings it has gone from 94.9% for GTA3 to 95.2 for GTA:SA. Now most people will agree that GTA4 is a big improvement over the past games, especially when you take multiplayer into consideration. So GTA4 logically should score higher than the past games.
98.6% & 99.6% is very high but over the comes weeks and months that score will definately drop as more website and magazine review the game.

Agreed 100 percent.

The missions are very simplistic and lacking the depth that the earlier games had.

i dont know how far youve gotten but, it starts off slow then gets good

There are barely any side games I have found so far...great bowling, darts, etc Where are my car collection tasks, ice cream truck driver, taxi driver, police, fire, motorcylce school, car school, etc.? Those were a lot more fun...

more becomes available the more you progress

The map is way to confusing. I have played for a few hours and still know pretty much no where, only a few select areas. On GTA3 and VC I knew the whole game like the back of my hand. Saints Row and Crackdown I also learned most of the map. On San Andreas it was a bit harder, but still you learned it after awhile. They packed so many roads and such into this one...that it is almost impossible to learn totally. I kinda liked knowing where I was at all times.

the game has been out two days....how about in a month or so you come back and say if you dont have it memorized then...you arent going to do that over 2 days, get real

The dialog sound is way mute compared to the game sounds. Using a surround sound system, the atmosphere sounds are extremely loud while the dialog is hard to here...annoying. This happens on lots of games though, so whatever, I can live with it.

Ill agree that sometimes its hard to hear, but mess with sound settings

Cars are very generic. So many look like each other and act like each other and there are not very many "cool" cars. There are a few, but they are rare.

Have you got all the cities yet? this would solve this as i hear different cars in different cities

I can make no alligation of overhyped ness or not at this time. Once I have put some real hours into the game I will be back to this thread with another post.

Have you turned on the tv and flipped channels? Cool stuff. I'm not making the news yet but I am sure it will happen. (Ok so GTA isn't the first to do this. Think Vampire Bloodlines. If you were a malcavian the tv would actually talk to you.)

Some of you people are hilarious, the game is a great game, it is however, not a life-changing event. It seems some of you overhyped the game in your own minds IMO.

The first 2 hours I thought it was a major disappointment and way overhyped, but I continued playing for another 6 hours or so and ended up utterly amazed. Give it some time, the game is so incredibly huge that it takes time for it to get under your skin. But once it does, you've had it.

The fact that it starts out at night isn't very flattering to the game in the beginning. And that kind of made the first impression less than great. an arrival with a day-time shot of the city to see what you''ve arrived into would have been better.

The graphics I feel were way overhyped. Don't get me wrong.. the game looks great, but still looks pretty bad compared to most games. I understand why though-- the game has an enormous amount of things and detail in everything.

ROFL and you call yourself a fan of the series. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

San Andreas over GTAIV my ass. Your 4/10 means jack when other real reviewers played the game much longer than you and didn't skimp out after an hour. An hour hardly gets you settled into the apartment.
Your opinion nor the opinion of any reviewer will make me enjoy it any more or less. I hate to break it to you but not everyone will share your opinions in life and you need to grow up and realize that.

I hated every second of that game and more stick time won't change the fact that the controls were slow and clumsy, the new targeting system is infuriating, gameplay reacts seizure inducingly slow, the framerate feels sluggish, and the graphics overdue the use of blur and midtones to the point that I get a headache tryign to distinguish one thing on the screen from another. Why on earth would I continue to play a game that, after one hour, had me so bored and frustrated I wanted to shove rusty spoons into my eyes? Get over it, not everyone will like the game.

Back