GTA IV + PS3 - wont go past first screen

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
I know i am late to the game, but i got a ps3 a month back, picked up GTA IV of course, i finally got around to trying it, but of course it wont work!

I thought the whole benefit of a console is that things just work!

So....what happens is

1. insert GTA IV disk, first time it says there is a 1.04 update, try to load it, it resets the PS3 and does nothing. (my ps3 has the latest update on it)

2. I disable the media sharing and internet connection, some say this works, it doesnt for me, my PS3 sits there at the first screen of the game whete is says "2007-2008 rockstar games. blah blah...... this game saves data automatically.. blah blah"

the HD light doesnt do anything, i left it on that screen over night as i read some said it can take almost an hour to copy files to the HD, but is like mine is doing nothing!

i can browse the PS3 menus fine so the ps3 hasnt frooze..

So what gives? can game makers now not even make games properly for consoles? How do i get this game i paid $25 for to work!

I have no problems with the other 8 games i bought.

Now when i hit the PS log on the controll to get the menu and choose to exit the game, it exits the game and resets the PS3!

I heard about that error... I figured it had been fixed a long, long time ago. That fucking sucks.

Guv,

On the bar that shows the game disc, go up till you see game data, select it and find GTA IV and delete all of it (use triangle to open menu). Then go back to the game and try again.

I did that, there is no game data for GTA IV in any areas, i cant even get that far :(

it seems i cant even get it to install.

I think i had that issue also, on one or two games that required "game" updates (note its not a update for the ps3, but for the game).
Depending on the game i have found that one of the following steps may work when that happens.

1. Just let it sit for a "several" minutes at the screen that says you need an update, before you click on X ("several" could be anywhere from 5min to half an hour)

2. or do the opposite and mash the X button continuously right before and after that screen that says you need an update.

3. skip the update altogether by pressing O. ( not available in all cases)

Eventually it will actually start to either download or install the stupid update and finally let you get into your game.

disconnect from the internet.

try to play the game. If it lets you in, start a new game a play for a bit.

then try to get the update.

tried to disconnect, i disabled the inet connection completly, the game just sits on that first screen doing nothing.

i tried pressing O on the update, and it sits on that same screen doing nothing :(

will try waiting on the update screen a bit.

i bought it in Canada, now i am back down in Costa Rica, i do have a friends friend who has it, will try with their disk.

Still pretty dam sad this day in age a company cant even press a DVD right.

ya? that sucks arse, bad disks.. so sad!

are disks specific to the console once you install it? or i could use my friends disk to try and install and then see if my disk works?

Hello Mathiau,
You will need to send the game to the below address along with a covering letter explaining the problem. Please note for any scratched or cracked CD's there will be a replacement fee of $7.50 This should be in the form of a cheque and made payable to Take 2 Interactive. You will need to send the cheque along with the damaged cd (inc. full packaging) and a covering letter detailing the problem. If the disc is within the 90 day warranty and proof of purchase is sent with it and the product is deemed to be a manufacturing fault then no charge will be made for replacement
For Rockstar Products
Rockstar Games Media Replacement
c/o JOAG Ohio
9271 Meridian Way
West Chester, OH 45069

What sucks is

1. to send this from costa rica will cost me almost $10, THEN when it gets shipped back to me, it will be min of likely $8 in duty! So my game just went from $24.99, almost $30 game to a $50 game.

Well, after getting a few more emails after my above email, the same email since their support seemed to have issues reading, i managed to find some contact information for some higher ups in RS. my first email did not get me any response, so i resent it simply stating that it would of been nice to say they at least received it.

Today upon opening my email, i had 3 emails from RS, so i guess it got some attention!

One was from a woman named Rita, who seemed to get autoforwarded emails that go to Sam himself (headhoncho at RS) I than had another email from jeff vp of quality assurance rockstar and one more from take2.

Jeff and Andy's news was good:

Hello Matthew,

I have just reviewed your case and I would just like to take this opportunity to apologise for the duplicate responses you received when dealing with a member of our support team. I can appreciate this must have been frustrating when you simply wanted a faulty disc replacing.

If you can supply your full postal address we will be happy to send out a replacement GTA IV at no cost to you.

Kind regards,
Andy
Rockstar Games Technical Support.

So as you can see they are making this right and i am now more then happy with them again. I will be shipping back my bad disk as well, i never had a problem with that, my issue was their support not bothering to read emails to see what they were telling me each time had already been done.

hi matthew.

thanks for the mail. i will personally fedex out a copy of IV to you today to the address below. and if interested i’m happy to send some R* gear for your troubles (just send me a shirt size please).

if you can drop the disc in the mail (normal mail is fine) to my attention i’ll have a look and see what the problem is with the disc and get back to you. details below.

anything else you need please be in touch.

sweet.

absolutely, it should never have to get to this level, but at least they are working to correct it.

Back