GTA IV PC Benchmarks

maybe ATI will release some drivers for this too.... like NVIDIA did. lol not holding my breath though....
ATI plans on releasing them on Wednesday.

And blur is really ugly. :(
I wish it only blurred distant objects and kept the foreground elements sharp.

well, that means something is either wrong with you, your computer, your settings, or who knows. experiment with your settings, post specs, etc. someone will help you, guaranteed. I, however, am tired now. I apologize lol.

The game works great for me. I'm going to bed now.

here's an interview with Rockstar: http://pc.ign.com/articles/936/936304p1.html

peace out.

One thing to note that Rockstar passed along to us: a patch is in the works, currently in the approval process at Microsoft. According to Rockstar, it's necessary for games that have Games for Windows Live infrastructure to pass through the company before being released. Beyond that, no precise time of release was given. Also, a Rockstar rep let us know that the Steam version of the game initially had a problem with not downloading properly to users' computers, creating an issue related to textures. The problem has since been addressed. Steam is also offering the opportunity for refunds, something detailed over at Voodoo Extreme.

One more reason why MS should just fuck off and die already, and why their shitty GFWL platform will fail.

Edit: jeezuz the rest of that interview is just PR spinning bullshit and arse covering

Edit again:

IGN: Before we get into that, a few questions about general graphics options. Why can't you actually through the graphics menu adjust AA (anti-aliasing), turn off shadows, and why is there a resource usage limitation?

Kevin Hoare: Early on we decided we weren't going to support DirectX 10. We were just going to work on increasing the visual quality with what we had with DirectX 9. If we had DirectX 10 support we could have had the AA in there, but we don't have any. The shadows, at least from the forums and what I'm seeing, I think a lot of people don't understand that the shadow density is only designed for a certain type of light in the game. In the daytime there's a general shadow that covers the entire world. That is hooked up directly to the video mode. It scales automatically with resolution. So the higher the resolution you set the game, the higher your shadow, mirrors, water, reflection, everything automatically scales.

We had all those options available and we found that people were confused by so many options so we wound up merging them into the video mode.

What the fuck does DX10 have to do with whether or not to implement AA?!? If anything I thought it was easier to implement in DX9??

well, that means something is either wrong with you, your computer, your settings, or who knows. experiment with your settings, post specs, etc. someone will help you, guaranteed. I, however, am tired now. I apologize lol.

The game works great for me. I'm going to bed now.

here's an interview with Rockstar: http://pc.ign.com/articles/936/936304p1.html

peace out.

Yes I got to do that....but I cbfed messing around with the game. The thing is that, I got about 20+ games on my computer that I still haven't either clocked the storyline or haven't played it thoroughly yet to get the msg it is trying to deliver. I have online fps gaming addiction atm..so yeah.lol

Heads Up

NVIDIA recommends that you update your system with the following GeForce v180.84 driver for the best experience on Grand Theft Auto IV:

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_gtaiv_downloads.html

Before

Statistics
Average FPS: 41.16
Duration: 37.20 sec
CPU Usage: 78%
System memory usage: 63%
Video memory usage: 92%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1680 x 1050 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Very High
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 37

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz OC 3GHz

After

Statistics
Average FPS: 43.28
Duration: 37.15 sec
CPU Usage: 64%
System memory usage: 62%
Video memory usage: 97%

Graphics Settings

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Driver version: 180.84

A 2.12 FPS increase with these drivers. These drivers seem to use less CPU power, so they could be very beneficial to dual core users. Cheers for the heads up

These drivers allow me to bump up the view distance to 36 (max possble), up the detail distance to 100 and up the vehicle density to 75 with no loss of performance

Statistics
Average FPS: 42.04
Duration: 37.04 sec
CPU Usage: 71%
System memory usage: 68%
Video memory usage: 98%

Graphics Settings
View Distance: 36
Detail Distance: 100

Hardware
Service Pack 1

What the fuck does DX10 have to do with whether or not to implement AA?!? If anything I thought it was easier to implement in DX9??

Zip, nada, nothing, haven't got a clue what he is talking about.

Okay, so I'm a little obsessed with fiddling with the settings, but setting the Shadows to 16 (Max) and setting the Render Quality to Highest makes a big difference in image quality. I can still hit over 40 FPS. Perfectly happy with that, game now looks good and the absence of AA is not so noticible.

Statistics
Average FPS: 40.46
Duration: 37.10 sec
CPU Usage: 64%
System memory usage: 62%
Video memory usage: 97%

Graphics Settings
Render Quality: Highest

Hardware
Service Pack 1

Screenshot taken with highest Render Quality and max shadows.

looks totally different from the xbox version. the photo you posted, it looks very cartoony and flat. the xbox version looked more alive, it's hard to describe but it looked more real.

maybe someone can put the two versions side by side.

You could cut someone with the amount of Aliasing in that pic. And i think the game is using fancy pants deffered lighting, which then according to the dude from the ign interview makes sense, as dx10 only can enable real AA, in such an engine.

Everyone that gets 40-50fps on the benchmark do you actually get that high fps while playing too ?

Everyone that gets 40-50fps on the benchmark do you actually get that high fps while playing too ?

Seems smooth to me, I'll try Fraps to check

Edit

Stole a vehicle and caused some mayhem.

Framerates with Fraps fluctuate between 60 indoors and low 30's outdoors with lots of people and car pile ups. General driving around averages in the mid 30's to low 40's. All rough guestimates though. Even with lots of stuff going on the gameplay fluidity isn't compromised.

it seems as if I need to finally overclock my quad if I want to run the game on my 24" monitor's resolution.

I probably still won't get good performance looking at the scores and resolutions you guys are getting. And I do expect a game to run smoothly on my high resolution.

Hence, me getting ready to possibly overclock or add new hardware. I really don't want to be forced to lower resolutions (after getting use to this one :) )

ATI plans on releasing them on Wednesday.

well, you are right - but, what they plan to release are the 8.12 drivers.

All those benchmarks I posted and screenshots with my 4850...

those were with the 8.12 drivers that are ALREADY circulating. lol the beta RC3. I doubt much will change between those and the final drivers.

We shall see.

looks totally different from the xbox version. the photo you posted, it looks very cartoony and flat. the xbox version looked more alive, it's hard to describe but it looked more real.

maybe someone can put the two versions side by side.

When playing the game, and making screenshots, the angle of the camera.... the position of the sun.... the time of day in the game.... all those things make a big impact.

I've been playing, and seen some shit that just make me say "wow, this looks bad ass."

However, I've also been playing, and stopped a car under a bridge or something mid-day, and looked at a shadow carefully, and said "wtf, why couldn't they do some decent shadows?" lol

That shot he posted is a great example of how the shadows can look at a certain angle (even though it's not great, it's better than at certain times in the game).

Screenshots are really kind of a hard thing to go by.... I don't know if I'm getting my point across well or not.

On another topic- the video editor....

You know how you can capture the last 30 seconds or so of gameplay?? Well, I did that right....

It was a pretty cool scene, where I was driving down a highway off-ramp with 4 stars, in this BMW-lookin car (probably a sentinel or something) and I rammed a SWAT van.

There was a helicopter shooting my windows out, and the SWAT guy finally capped me in the back of the head through the back window of the car.

I'm thinkin - fuck yeah, that was pretty cool. I'll save that video clip.

So I saved it.

Played it back - it didn't even show the gun shots, sparks, debris effects (except my hood flying off).

WTF????

Maybe I should just get a full version of FRAPS and make my own damn videos.

Perhaps this is a known issue, or I was doing something wrong. Anyone have experience with the in-game video editor?

EDIT:::::

Patch Is On The Way
We are working on making a patch available in the next few days. Since Grand Theft Auto IV is a Games For Windows – Live game the patch must be certified by Microsoft before release. The patch is already at Microsoft and we expect a speedy approval.
The patch contains a variety of fixes including:

-A fix to the crash after legal screen that some German customers were reporting.
-Numerous improvements to the video editor: Smarter naming of videos, improved rendering quality, better fx during replays
-Fix to bowling while using certain sensitive mice
-Fix for ATI 1900 shadows
-Overall savings to memory
-Graphic improvements to particle systems and mirrors
-Multiplayer character settings are preserved
-Support for DirectInput controllers. Note: The current hack way of supporting these controllers may not work with the improved functionality. So we recommend you remove the hack before upgrading to the patch.

Issues with power management software have also been fixed (slow speed, double speed issues). Even after the patch comes out setting power management software to maximum performance is recommended. We’ve seen cases where power management software does not detect the game is running and puts the CPU in green mode.

Besides the patch we’ve also improved the way the Social Club handles data this should have greatly reduced or eliminated the Mma10 error. If you are still receiving this error after logging in and out of Social Club we would like to know as much info as you can about it.

(SEE HERE FOR FULL ANNOUNCEMENT)

A fix for bowling? Good, because with my mouse, I have to jerk it front and back super fast several times before it registers the motion, which ends up causing me to have no accuracy at all in my throw. Good thing I can still beat up hookers and shoot drug dealers or this game would be a waste!

The game looks like shit to me, even on high settings. I was under the impression that the PC port was suppose to have much better graphics than the Xbox 360 version.

Also, the beta catalyst drivers and disabling crossfire helped my overall performance, so you may want to try that.

Hoping patches help.

The game looks like shit to me, even on high settings. I was under the impression that the PC port was suppose to have much better graphics than the Xbox 360 version.

Also, the beta catalyst drivers and disabling crossfire helped my overall performance, so you may want to try that.

Hoping patches help.

Eh, it looks way better than the consoles to me.... (the "Jizzy Jims" in the background is... a little disturbing lol. Believe me, that wasn't intentional.... lol)

I went from the 8.8 drivers to the beta 8.12 drivers, and I guess it helped a little. It wasn't drastic though.

We shall see how the drivers released on the 10th differ from the RC3 version of the drivers already circulating.

Could be an improvement, but who knows...

With the new drivers I went from 34.97fps average benchmark @ 1680x1050, Texture: medium, render: highest. View and detail distance maxed.

To 44 fps!!! at the same settings benchmark. HUGE fps increase :D

Why don't you all turn AA on when you take a screen shot? All of those screenshots are jagged as all hell....

I'm trying to decide if this game will be playable at 2650x1600...

BEFORE (180.48):

Statistics
Average FPS: 51.80
Duration: 37.16 sec
CPU Usage: 76%
System memory usage: 59%
Video memory usage: 74%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
View Distance: 70
Detail Distance: 70

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Video Driver version: 180.48
Audio Adapter: Speakers (2- Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3.20GHz

File ID: benchmark.cli

AFTER (180.84):

Statistics
Average FPS: 51.89
Duration: 37.06 sec
CPU Usage: 79%
System memory usage: 61%
Video memory usage: 74%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
View Distance: 70
Detail Distance: 70

Hardware
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Audio Adapter: Speakers (2- Realtek High Definition Audio)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 3.20GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Side note, just realized it was running non-native res both times (1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200).

At 1920x1200, I get just about 50 FPS using my above settings.

For me, 1024*768 to 1920*1200 yield the same performance

Wow, with that clockspeed I would not expect you to be that CPU limited. Guess it really does like quad cores / fast CPUs. Really makes me wonder why they didn't allow AA though, if we're being held back by CPUs and not graphics cards.

Wow, with that clockspeed I would not expect you to be that CPU limited. Guess it really does like quad cores / fast CPUs. Really makes me wonder why they didn't allow AA though, if we're being held back by CPUs and not graphics cards.

I think it's because GTA 4 is a memory hog

All looks to me that most of the screenshots are jaggy, unlike the ps3 and xbox360 ones the textures are more vibrant and natural alive looking. I think that if they were some config that could do AA with no lag...it will look better.

Honestly my biggest issue is the memory leak/poor memory management with the game. Runs smooth as butter then slowly starts to get worse and worse within about 1hr of gameplay.

GTA 4 uses a deferred render path I assume.

Only idea I can come up with as to why the framebuffer size ramps up so much as the resolution increases, and no FSAA.

Only idea I can come up with as to why the framebuffer size ramps up so much as the resolution increases, and no FSAA.

They said it is only possible on DX10 and they don't support DX10. Which, by the way, is a major blunder in my opinion. This game really needed anti-aliasing.

In my opinion, any game that does not support anti-aliasing gets put into the shit console port/ cheap cash in category. You can't not support anti-aliasing on PC. If you have a 1680 x 1050 monitor, this game is going to look like shit without anti-aliasing.

I assumed they were going to use it but if I would have known there was no AA support, I would have waited for bargain basement prices for this game because that is about all it is worth to me.

Before: 21
After: 21
While playing 15-23 (outside)

On a side note I cannot wait for the patch because I really need improved file naming and improved rendering quality in the video editor system. That is all I care about with this patch...

Rockstar implemented graphics options into the resolution. When you up the resolution, you don't just up the resolution but also add more graphical effects. Kind of a stupid decision by Rockstar.

I've been thinking about spending 200 or so dollars lately on something computer wise. I guess it is time to go quad core... 775 CPUs are pretty cheap now.

All settings lowest at 1680 x 1050 I get around 30 FPS average. I did not check the benchmark, but it usually sticks around 25-40.

Its not Graphics Options, its their PR speak. When you increase the Res, the graphical effects also increase in fidelity....IE shadows become sharper (due to higher Res), Textures etc. I thought every game gets that benefit moving up from a low res to high res,....

They said it is only possible on DX10 and they don't support DX10. Which, by the way, is a major blunder in my opinion. This game really needed anti-aliasing.

In my opinion, any game that does not support anti-aliasing gets put into the shit console port/ cheap cash in category. You can't not support anti-aliasing on PC. If you have a 1680 x 1050 monitor, this game is going to look like shit without anti-aliasing.

I assumed they were going to use it but if I would have known there was no AA support, I would have waited for bargain basement prices for this game because that is about all it is worth to me.

I run at 1680x1050 and don't think it looks like shit. Of course, I'm spending more times crashing cars, beating up hookers, and killing innocent bystanders than looking at the fences and power lines.

I have to say I was a little disappointed by the comment Rockstar made about not having the advanced options in there because they felt it confused the user.

1) Fix the options so their not confusing (hard to believe they were confusing at all, but whatever).
2) Tuck it in an "Advanced" menu option so those of us that have been around awhile can tweak what we want.

Being a developer, I take great offense at their easy way out.

How the fuck do you play multiplayer?

This is literally one of the most confusing fucking interfaces I have seen in my life. So I have to have this rockstar social shit installed great, then you have to install windows games live software which is pointless crap and finally I have no clue where multiplayer is.

How the fuck do you play multiplayer?

This is literally one of the most confusing fucking interfaces I have seen in my life. So I have to have this rockstar social shit installed great, then you have to install windows games live software which is pointless crap and finally I have no clue where multiplayer is.

hit the "up" key to bring up your phone.

go to the phone's menu

select multiplayer

:D

(yes, it's a very retarded method, and no- I don't know why they didn't just put it in the normal game menus)

I run at 1680x1050 and don't think it looks like shit. Of course, I'm spending more times crashing cars, beating up hookers, and killing innocent bystanders than looking at the fences and power lines.

Lol, same here.

But I guess we are just simple minded fools.

AA is EVERYTHING. :eek:

Sans the occasional fatal error, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game and I think it's WAY better than the console version across the boards.

Back