GTA IV: First Impressions (no spoilers)

Ugh, Now I guess it's time to look for a good deal on a PS3.....This gaming not coming out for the PC in a timely manner is pure SUCKETH.

I die a lot, the driving does take some time to get used to. I am really feeling this rise to power storyline.

man I wish I had more time to play it. damn finals getting in the way.

We are in the same boat. I'm sitting at work staring at the clock waiting for 5 so I can run and pick up my preorder. This SUUUUUUUUUUUCKS I hope everyone is having fun playing today those that can anyway :D

omg, me and a buddy got online this morning and chose the 'free party mode' or whatever its called. we jumped in a helicopter and headed to the airport, each got in an attack chopper and started mowing shit down. we then jumped out and found a boat and headed to the statue of liberty and shot a bunch of people on that island. we then took turns doing stunt jumps on a jump we found, i colided with a parked helicopter and ejected myself out the window into the water...unreal what you can do in this game.

Just thought I'd chime in with my impressions:

Well, I snagged my copy at midnight. Special Edition, of course. I played two hours of it and here are my preliminary findings:

The physics system and the way that your character interacts with the environment and other characters is so realistic that I'm still geeking over it, ten hours later. Case in point, while driving an old boat-of-a-vehicle, which controls just like an old, heavy car, a pedestrian was in the middle of the street while I was cruising with the accelerator punched to the floorboards. I tried to swerve, really, I did, but the car's handling just didn't allow for Steve McQueen moves. So, I railed right into the guy. He rolled across my hood, tumbled in the air, and then landed on the cement. All of this looked so real, so believable, like how it would like if I were the bystander of a similar accident in real life. It left my jaw open, suffice to say.

Another thing that really caught my eye, was when hand-to-hand fighting with another character. The way we brushed up against each other, the way my fists connected with him, all were full of realistic actions and reactions.

However, I still get the feeling of "been here, done that" in regards to the missions. Sure, it's the same tried and true GTA formula, but at this point nothing feels fresh and exciting with the missions, though the environment and physcis do. I'm only about four missions in, so I still have my reservations about this preliminary opinion. I'm sure I'm still in the "training" mode of the game and will remain hopeful that the missions become something unlike we've ever seen in previous incarnations of the series.

I got it for 360 and I am running it through VGA at 720p on a 19" LCD. Looks pretty amazing depite a few graphical quirks. So far I am extremely impressed. The sheer amount of things to do, places to see, etc is just awe inspiring. The story is incredible, the radio is hilarious, I especially love all the fake ads and GPS voices in the nicer cars. I also know a bit of Russian so it is funny hearing random pedestians swear at me when I bump into them. I do find the cars a bit hard to control (too much body lean), but it is fairly realistic. The crashes are extremely well done as are the explosions. The physics are very cool, especially when you fly through the windsheild during a crash. I do find the targeting to be a bit of a PITA but I am getting used to it. I am a good 7 hours in and so far it is shaping up to seriously be the best videogame I have ever played. The reviews seem to be spot on.

I have been enjoying it. The physics of people when you run into them is really great. I must admit, when I sideswiped someone walking and then got out of the car to find a blood smear all the way down - I was a bit shocked.

I love getting ejected from cars too - very slick.

I scored with the first girl you meet- certain that she is a cop - not a spoiler - just have this thought the way she ask questions.

I got it last night, started playing it, bought some clothes and ran out of money. I walked out of the store dropped some dude, took his cash and bought a pair of sunglasses. That is the kind of game I like!

I spent an hour just driving around, game is pretty massive. Cars are realistic...I couldn't find the strip club though, I kept getting sidetracked.

I am part of the waiting crowd. In 3 hours and 40 minutes I will be sprinting from my office to my car, and heading straight to BB!

my first impressions are great. I was just screwing around in the beginning, i ended up i a police chase, with police surrounding me inside a burger joint. When I got inside, I started using the cover system, they were saying, COME out!, it was all cinematic unintentionally and it just worked so well. Of course I died in there, but still.

It also adds a lot also to the game since I live in 'dukes' in real life :p couldn't ask for a better game.

Sounds like they took a leaf from Saints Row's tree.. even though Saint's Row took an entire branch from GTA to begin with. :p Being ejected from the car was so awesome when I saw it in Saint's Row.

GTA IV has ragdoll physics right?

By far the best game I have ever played. Have not felt this way about a game since first couple weeks of WOW and Final Fantasy 7.

Would be perfect in my eyes if it had AA. Jaggys make me crazy.

If it just me or is the cell phone really hard to read?

Yeah, I had issues with that too. But if open the cell phone and then go to options you can set it to Large font, once I did that then I had no issues reading the phone.

I don't know whether it's my TV (Toshiba 32hl67 LCD) but the game looks pretty bad. The intro cutscene looked pretty good but as soon as I went outside and looked down the street, it's just a blurry mess. Any object that is more than 50 feet away will have blurry textures. I'm playing the 360 version and output is set to 720p.

For everyone complaining about AA... wouldn't you rather sacrifice it for better fluidity of the game? Remember that we're essentially working with 7th generation Nvidia graphics here. I'm sure if Rockstar could have put AA on there without ruining the framerate, they would have.

I picked up a 360 & ps3 copy during my break (ps3 is a bday gift for my buddy). Can't wait till 3pm to go home. Come 3:30, I'll be in Liberty City like the rest of you.

Not having any problems with how the game looks, myself (360 + 52" DLP set = love). My one beef thus far has been the driving controls, but the aforementioned brake-then-turn thing might just do the trick for that. :)

well atm i am havings oo much trouble trying to connect to a game online.i keep getting disconnected on every mode except free roaming

I don't care much for the GTA series, but I'll bitch slap a prostitute on my way home just for kicks.

The depth of field is really really rough on the eyes. I know they're using it to blur out the distance to help with load and rendering times, but having so much reduced to giant blocks is hard to ignore.

Controls could use tightening. I like the counters in hand-to-hand but overall the melee combat is stiff and a bit awkward. Honestly, Saints Row's hand to hand felt better. I also would really like an option to gun-butt someone. Driving is more realistic, but overall it's much much slower, I would have preferred less realism and more speed and handling like in the previous games. Shooting and the cover system is great though, as is the general movement, which is a welcome improvement over the previous games.

It is definitely a great game, but I wouldn't give it a perfect score. There is room to improve. I'd say...9.5/10:p

Yep, don't get me wrong....great game, but doesn't compare to PC. Reason I say this is because I mostly play computer games and I am having very hard time looking at GTA IV at 1080i and 720p :(.

The lack of AA in the game is straight down eye hurting. They did indeed try to mask it with motion blur, which doesn't help much since it makes everything look blurry. It really feels as if though I am playing COD4 and getting 40fps, I just can't stand that.

The game is fun however; I didn't get too far but was kewl.

I don't know whether it's my TV (Toshiba 32hl67 LCD) but the game looks pretty bad. The intro cutscene looked pretty good but as soon as I went outside and looked down the street, it's just a blurry mess. Any object that is more than 50 feet away will have blurry textures. I'm playing the 360 version and output is set to 720p.

I felt the same way buddy.

Yep, don't get me wrong....great game, but doesn't compare to PC. Reason I say this is because I mostly play computer games and I am having very hard time looking at GTA IV at 1080i and 720p :(.

The lack of AA in the game is straight down eye hurting. They did indeed try to mask it with motion blur, which doesn't help much since it makes everything look blurry. It really feels as if though I am playing COD4 and getting 40fps, I just can't stand that.

The game is fun however; I didn't get too far but was kewl.

I actually bought a 360 today just for this game. Otherwise all I play are PC games and man you console guys have been dealing with shit graphics. They aren't the be-all end-all, but when you're used to beautiful visuals, anything less is distracting. It's all aliased and then blurry at a distance. I guess when/if I get the PC version too I'll be playing it like it was meant to be played.

I actually bought a 360 today just for this game. Otherwise all I play are PC games and man you console guys have been dealing with shit graphics. They aren't the be-all end-all, but when you're used to beautiful visuals, anything less is distracting. It's all aliased and then blurry at a distance. I guess when/if I get the PC version too I'll be playing it like it was meant to be played.

It'll be a port... so don't count on it.

you guys are too high maintenance if you're complaining about the graphics. I think it looks fine as it is.

High Maintenance? Sure am, I am used to COD4 type stuff.

I agree man. I bought PS3 to play NBA 2k8 on; which does the job well. Over the past few months I have rented few games and tried few demos, just can't get used to the graphics and choppiness. I have no idea why every review hails the graphics.

Yeah, COD4 on PC is insane. I really can't fault any game for not looking as good, its stunning every time I start it up.

I don't think GTA was ever known for its graphics so as long as it continues to deliver in the story and open world then I'm happy.

That said, if the PC version allows me to set the view distance, texture quality, AA, and resolution, then I'll move to that platform for sure. In the mean time the 360 is doing its job well.

McG

ya, it sucks coming from PC and play this game on PS3.. i thought i was the only one seeing blurry everywhere... not having AA is just fugly.. :( great story and gameplay tho..

360 GTA is fun as hell and I can't see how any primarily console gamers can fault it.

I do notice texture draw-in and motion blurring, but for the most part I think the game looks freaking amazing considering the open-world factor and the art direction.

Can't wait to get home from work and play. Crossing fingers that RRoD won't come get me and stop all my fun.

Played it for 10 hours straight, first time I've done that in years. Love it.

Played it for 10 hours straight, first time I've done that in years. Love it.

I'm at work right now, but I'm like, giddy, for the first time about video games since I was a kid waiting to get home to play nintendo.

IMHO, the GTA series has always been behind the curve as as graphics go. Even when they were on the PC. Graphics have never been a concern for me when playing GTA.

As for GTA4, it's pretty kick ass. Was playing it at a friend's house and i was just having fun driving around and causing chaos. At one point, i was at the edge of the police search area, so i drove a car off a jump and into the water trying to get away, only to have a police cutter spot me and shoot me dead and run over my dead body with the boat. Good times! The driving is way fun, the move to more realistic driving physics turns it into a whole new experience. I never did any missions, though, so i can't say about the story line stuff, but he says it's pretty good so far.

Overall, pretty awesome from what i've seen of it. I've been itching to play more. I'll be picking this up asap.

Back