GTA 6 Could Gain This Next-Gen (AI) Intelligent NPC Technology From Rockstar

erek

[H]F Junkie
"A newly discovered patent by Take-Two Interactive hints that Grand Theft Auto VI will have smarter non-playable characters (NPCs), which has our minds swirling with possibilities. Rather than following programmed directives, NPCs that leverage advanced artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities could potentially feel like more life-like, in the decisions they make in the game."

https://hothardware.com/news/gta-6-next-gen-npc-technology-rockstar

"A newly discovered patent by Take-Two Interactive hints that Grand Theft Auto VI will have smarter non-playable characters (NPCs), which has our minds swirling with possibilities. Rather than following programmed directives, NPCs that leverage advanced artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities could potentially feel like more life-like, in the decisions they make in the game."

https://hothardware.com/news/gta-6-next-gen-npc-technology-rockstar
maxresdefault.jpg

The possibilities are endless... NPCs sees guy walking down the street with AK47... they run screaming at that sight, no longer waiting for you to fire the gun to get crazy....
hmmm, yeah I can't think of anything else, so maybe not so endless.

But seriously, it'd be nice if there were a fixed number of police or military people in the game, I mean who hasn't raided a military base, popping off soldiers, but they keep coming for all of eternity until eventually the game uses it's cheat code on you by bringing out tanks that autokill on impact.

The possibilities are endless... NPCs sees guy walking down the street with AK47... they run screaming at that sight, no longer waiting for you to fire the gun to get crazy....
hmmm, yeah I can't think of anything else, so maybe not so endless.

But seriously, it'd be nice if there were a fixed number of police or military people in the game, I mean who hasn't raided a military base, popping off soldiers, but they keep coming for all of eternity until eventually the game uses it's cheat code on you by bringing out tanks that autokill on impact.
doesn't that reaction already happen with Mafia 3 and Watch Dogs 2 / Legion?

they should just employ and pay people minimum wage to play as the role of the given character. So it's just like real life.
You mean like live-time? That wouldn't be practical or cost-effective as there are so many real players, you'd need millions of these employees...!

But perhaps you could employ a few hundred people for a few months to just play all the characters in the game over and over, then use their actions to train the AI?

I want to see an option where you cn raid a diner, any random diner, nt just something pre-scripted, nd in order for you to leave without hurting anyone. They offer free snack, like a taco or burger nd you get some sort of harmless achievement nd then as you exit they wack you with a chair or a baseball bat!!
what about a Twisted Tea?

You mean like live-time? That wouldn't be practical or cost-effective as there are so many real players, you'd need millions of these employees...!

But perhaps you could employ a few hundred people for a few months to just play all the characters in the game over and over, then use their actions to train the AI?
or just 'pay' players in game credits that would normally cost money but don't actually have value. A giant network of all real players, but some are doing actual 'work' or role play things, while others are fucking around as usual.

or just 'pay' players in game credits that would normally cost money but don't actually have value. A giant network of all real players, but some are doing actual 'work' or role play things, while others are fucking around as usual.
I feel like a lot of them (if not all of them) would act in ways that are completely unnatural of a realistic human in that situation (how a gamers control a character is in general totally unrealistic and ridiculous) and if you would have the intelligence to only pay them if they act naturally it is because you already have the intelligence.

Feel like less but better actor could be better or using giant bank of surveillance camera footage to build model of what human do in normal situation and event situation.

That's just GTA Online and we already have that lol.

they should just employ and pay people minimum wage to play as the role of the given character. So it's just like real life.
Wouldn’t be the first company to use “mechanical Turks” while going on about their world beating AI

For some reason I thought that way back in the first or second game (Vice City, etc) that the "Industrious, Upwardly-Mobile Ladies of the Evening" wouldn't approach your car if it was beat up or trashed or something...because that is absolutely the kind of thing that Rockstar would put in the game.......could be urban myth but....I thought that was a thing even back then....<shrug>.

garbage in, garbage out. all depends on how they train this "AI" platform.

I don't remember if it was GTA3 or GTA4, but in one of them you can pick a random car and follow them. They will eventually go home, open the garage, park the car, and walk inside. I remember getting trapped inside a garage this way once, and having to reload because the garage was not meant to be opened.

They're going to invest in some crazy A.I., it's going to be wonky as hell, and then they're going to reign it in to the point that it reflects regular A.I. scripting (i.e. the story of Oblivion's radiant A.I.). On the other hand, if a dev just went balls-deep into traditionally scripting their NPC's, it would likely have more interesting results. I don't really believe players need to have infinite completely different, chaotic experience with A.I. every time they play through a game. They just need to put in the effort to script for a handful of different experiences.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that traditional A.I. scripting makes more sense than some advanced, 'radiant' A.I, except in very few circumstances.

"A newly discovered patent by Take-Two Interactive hints that Grand Theft Auto VI will have smarter non-playable characters (NPCs), which has our minds swirling with possibilities."

Oh, all the possibilities! I wonder what cool examples they came up with in the article.

Wait....oh....

Back