GTA 5's Misogyny Must Be Addressed By Its Creators

And if you're not on board, you're evil.

I HATE this mindset. If you don't agree with me, you're a nutjob, terrorist, hate kids, whatever. It happens a lot lately.

Don't like it? See it as wrong? Ok, tell why it's wrong. But, when the bashing starts coming out, all the arguments go out the window. I just can't take it seriously anymore. It comes off more as pushing an agenda rather than a respectable, honest discussion.

Yes, I can see why some people see GTAV as bad. I get that. But, I'm an adult. I know it's not reality for most. But, it's still just a game made for adults that can tell the difference. Like gun violence, misogyny in games, gore, etc. in games - if you can't handle it, don't play it. Many of these games are not for kids. If you take it seriously and transfer the game play into real life - you shouldn't be playing these games.

Leisure Suit Larry, where are you?!

What a "white knight" pile of crap column.

I wonder what person Colin Campbell wrote that article for to show he is sensitive and understanding. He is the guy at the party with the guitar to show he "gets it" but in reality wants what every other man wants, a nice warm body laying next to them at night.

This "opinion" piece reeks of desperation.

Where is his demand that actual sex worker laws change which could actually help lower the violence REAL workers have to deal with? He is demanding we treat virtual street walkers with more respect and care then other NPC's because their real life industry has abuse. Using his rational then we should also be nice to virtual gangsters and drug dealers as well. All real life counterparts suffer violence in their line of work.

Attacking GTA cause you can kill a hooker to get your money back is nonsense and another notch of Polygon being a worthless rag. It has become the tech industry equivalent of Gawker.

Reading this thread makes me scared for humanity. I think what most of you are missing is that activities like this in a game do desensitize children to violence, but then again so do movies which is why I parent and don't let my daughters play these games. Though in the end don't think as a society that we should be okay with this. I am not for censorship, but I really do hope that we can move past the level of unnecessary violence in games movies. It isn't driving the story or experience to be any better. All gratuitous violence really adds is shock value and some flash at the expense of having unique game mechanisms or a fantastic story that you want to experience to the end. I guess I am not the target GTA buyer though.

Back to my first comment though, it is amazing how defensive the gaming community gets due to criticism, these forums included. That seems to be the problem with everything from politics to interactions with neighbors. If anybody sat down and attempted to acknowledge another persons viewpoint and not fear that they will have to give up some right or possession, maybe we could start having real conversations.....end rant.

That is absolutely delightful. The game is rated M for mature which means it is advising parents that it is not intended for or appropriate for players under 17 years old. Good job reading the packaging. Now if you wanted to be a really good parent you'd teach your daughter(s) the difference between fantasy and reality. Also the difference between fact and opinion might be a good one too, if you're capable that is.

As far as your "decency" argument, who are you to try to decide what I, as a legal adult, should think or enjoy so long as it isn't criminal and directly harms someone? If I want to watch my little pony it is absolutely none of your business and you should buzz off. Same thing if I enjoy hugging a my little pony doll whole attacking video game characters in Grand theft auto 5. Get bent, my life if not yours to live.

Sex workers are victims? All of them?
Why am I imagining a Venn Diagram clearly illustrating how narrow minded that comment is.

When you over generalize, reach easy, convenient conclusions, and show that you clearly do not consider all the variables regarding any given situation, I consider the you ignorant, and honestly feel any response validates your position.

DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE!

These people are hilarious lol let me get this straight, they are fighting for the safety and well being of pixels instead of attempting to help the IRL victims of the sex slave industry. I guess whatever helps you sleep at night even of that means picking on the lowest hanging fruit on the branch.

So is the amount of dismissal of cogent arguments as misogyny.

I am not saying every reply in this thread is misogynistic. There are some cogent arguments, as you said. But there are some misogynistic replies in this thread, and they disturb me.

Uninformed idiots getting outraged about something they know nothing about.

GTAV is NOT a "prostitute killing game"

It is an open world game, in which the player can choose to (or not to) kill anyone they want, including prostitutes, the police, regular people and children on the street, etc. etc.

These people are basing their outrage off of videos people have posted online. Maybe they should try it for themselves first...

I am not saying every reply in this thread is misogynistic. There are some cogent arguments, as you said. But there are some misogynistic replies in this thread, and they disturb me.

Please do quote the ones that "disturb" you, because I have yet to see a non sarcastic statement that is even remotely misogynistic here. In fact all I have seen is a handful of random one liner comments bemoaning how upset they are because someone doesn't agree with them.

Reading this thread makes me scared for humanity. I think what most of you are missing is that activities like this in a game do desensitize children to violence, but then again so do movies which is why I parent and don't let my daughters play these games.

...and that is why the game is rated M for mature,

Quoted directly from the ESRB webpage:

MATURE said:
Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

Any parent buying this game for their kids is a fucking moron, and is bordering on child abuse.

So by this reasoning, should we get rid of ALL mature content, because some parents might be stupid enough to disregard ratings and give it to underage children? REALLY?

There has literally been zero misogyny in this thread, and the only sexism in the thread is from you social justice warriors who belittle women by thinking they need your dumb ass to protect them from life.

Please do quote the ones that "disturb" you, because I have yet to see a non sarcastic statement that is even remotely misogynistic here. In fact all I have seen is a handful of random one liner comments bemoaning how upset they are because someone doesn't agree with them.

Oh, but you forget. These days the very fact of asking for evidence or for someone to back up their claims, means you are a "Sea Lion" and thus are harassing them :p

The SJW's (I hate using this term, because I genuinely believe Social Justice is very important, but it refers to a subset of people who have gone off the deep end) these days consider it harassment to have to back up their claims, or to ever have to experience an idea they don't agree with...\

It is revolting and sad.

Honestly,

I don't really like the GTA franchise, but I might just buy this game just to support the developers who are being unfairly targeted.

Show me the ones that are misogynistic and SERIOUS not taken to be comical. Some of us joke about some dark shit. Most (if not all) of us really don't think that these hoes need to be in the kitchen making us a sandwich after giving us a blumpkin. If someone does think like that, then it'd be disturbing. But, I'll take a bet that the people here at [H] don't think that way. I'm sure a lot of us find comedy in bad things, but when it comes to being serious - we don't laugh at rape, abuse towards women (I'd bet that 99% of the people here would be pissed and/or beat someones ass for beating up their wife/gf) or whatever. But, this is a video game. Fuck those bitches then take them out. Get your money back from that broads dead corpse.

Doesn't this happen every time a new GTA comes out?
Yes. And before that, every time a Mortal Kombat or Duke Nukem came out.

However, there is one major difference.

In the past, all the criticism in regards to violence in video games came exclusively from the religious right. Their cries of "Won't someone please think of the children!" resonated within their churches and small, rural communities but did not garner much attention in the mainstream. A controversial game would be released, the usual crowd of dull and confused PTA moms would espouse their morals, and life would go on.

Now however, the criticism is coming from the left. It makes a huge difference, as progressives have a near iron-grip on mainstream media, news media, academia and Hollywood. This worries me. Progressives can now take their anti-intellectual messages to heights that the Christian moralists of the 90's could only dream of.

Gaming is entering a period where it's going to have to fight for it's life against a media juggernaut.

Yes. And before that, every time a Mortal Kombat or Duke Nukem came out.

However, there is one major difference.

In the past, all the criticism in regards to violence in video games came exclusively from the religious right. Their cries of "Won't someone please think of the children!" resonated within their churches and small, rural communities but did not garner much attention in the mainstream. A controversial game would be released, the usual crowd of dull and confused PTA moms would espouse their morals, and life would go on.

Now however, the criticism is coming from the left. It makes a huge difference, as progressives have a near iron-grip on mainstream media, news media, academia and Hollywood. This worries me. Progressives can now take their anti-intellectual messages to heights that the Christian moralists of the 90's could only dream of.

Gaming is entering a period where it's going to have to fight for it's life against a media juggernaut.
Too ironic if I say, "Amen brother"?

It is rather ridiculous. You can't make a female character with negative faults, you can't make a female character get injured, you can't make a female character act like a female, even making a positive female character is bad, and you must have female characters in every game even if they are out of place.

This leaves us with games based around successful women going to work everyday. Can't be stay at home mothers or feature raising children, because that would be sexist. Just make sure the husband character works full time, takes care of the kids and does all the cleaning/repairing in the house. ;)

One such example.

Ohh polygon, never stop being a SJW cesspool of worthlessness.

Not even one extra click should be given to those click baiters.

Another. I guess I just don't see why SJW is used as an insult. Why is advocating for social equality bad? Unless you are perfectly comfortable with a system that provides privilage for yourself at the expense of others.

I had a hunch that the author was neutered male before I even clicked on the link.
fify

Neutered male? So the author making an argument that he thinks is advocating for the welfare of sexually exploited women makes him a neutered man/implies he is less of a man?

Pro tip: don't fuck for money in real life and claim to be a victim if that's the career path you choose.

A very large majority of sex workers are forced into it, either by financial means, or physical means (i.e. slavery). Even for those that choose to do it, they don't deserve to be physically abused. Sex workers put themselves in an incredibly vulnerable position to men and are "constantly living under the threat of violence and intimidation."

He is trying to score point with the "feminists", although he is a complete tool and doesn't realize that the so called feminists are simply Fascists draped in the mantle of feminism. Just like the fascists that like to call themselves liberals, but it is obvious there is nothing liberal about them, except in the liberal way they use their propaganda to eviscerate others and brainwash people. Herr Goebbels and Comrade Trotsky would be so happy that anti-rationalism now reigns supreme.

Enlightenment is dead folks.
A very obvious one. It's very clear that this person just doesn't like the idea of people advocating for equality for women.

One such example.
Sarcasm.

Another. I guess I just don't see why SJW is used as an insult. Why is advocating for social equality bad? Unless you are perfectly comfortable with a system that provides privilage for yourself at the expense of others.
SJWs can be male or female. This does not demonstrate misogyny.

Neutered male? So the author making an argument that he thinks is advocating for the welfare of sexually exploited women makes him a neutered man/implies he is less of a man?
Sexually exploited women in a video game. Where's his concern for actual prostitutes?

A very obvious one. It's very clear that this person just doesn't like the idea of people advocating for equality for women.
If he's demanding equality, then shouldn't he be advocating that women be killed more often, to match the frequency with which men are killed, or that men should be killed less often?

As mentioned, the game is not intended for your daughter. Secondly, if you're raising your daughter in such a way that she is somehow negatively affected by the pixels on a screen, you are a terrible parent that should never have procreated and you are a major part of the problems in our society today.

It doesn't matter that I don't let me daughters play these games, it matters that as a society we view that the actions in these games are okay as entertainment. Again, I am not advocating banning this material or forcing someone to change based on my beliefs, I believe in freedom of choice. I merely expressed a hope that as a society, we change the culture that deems that this is acceptable entertainment.

It is also a problem because there are parents that buy these types of games for their kids and my daughters will have to interact with these types of people as they grow up. So on one hand, we don't want to infringe on the rights of an adult to do what as long as he isn't harming others. On the other hand, we need to do more to keep this material out of the hands of children who might not know that this isn't acceptable behavior who may eventually become desensitized and eventually harm others. The ESRB rating isn't enforceable. Maybe it should be?

Gr8 b8 m8 ;)
frelled said:
It doesn't matter that I don't let me daughters play these games, it matters that as a society we view that the actions in these games are okay as entertainment.
Are you entertained when you watch a rated R movie? When a guy is chasing an innocent family around with a chainsaw and chopping them to pieces, what is the purpose of that movie? Is it entertainment? And as was said a million times, this is a sandbox game. There's no quest to beat up hookers, you just have the option to beat up hookers (or not beat up hookers) just as you do every person in the game.

Progressive rot is infecting videogames now. Leftists will never stop looking at different venues for their social engineering. Now its videogames turn, time to shame everyone who doesn't subscribe to their ideology and call them sexist pigs for enjoying booooooooooooooooooooooooooooobs.

Its amazing how little and petty the things are that people choose to stand for and represent so they can feel like they're "changing the world" or "standing for something." In order to fill the emptiness in their heart they chose to combat boobzilla in videogames while pretending to be an "enlightened" intellectual. What a petty pedestal to stand on, this is nothing more that self serving nonsense to make people feel like their lives have meaning. Its empty and substanceless, the subject is so petty; I feel like I would dirty myself by even taking their arguments a fraction seriously. The best thing to do is to shame them like they try to do to the rest of society. Do not give them the satisfaction of even engaging in the argument about the garbage they are trying to project.

CONSERVATIVE rot is infecting videogames now. RELIGIOUS RIGHT WINGERS will never stop looking at different venues for their social engineering. Now its videogames turn, time to shame everyone who doesn't subscribe to their ideology and call them sexist pigs for enjoying booooooooooooooooooooooooooooobs.

Its amazing how little and petty the things are that people choose to stand for and represent so they can feel like they're "changing the world" or "standing for something." In order to fill the emptiness in their heart they chose to combat boobzilla in videogames while pretending to be an "enlightened" intellectual. What a petty pedestal to stand on, this is nothing more that self serving nonsense to make people feel like their lives have meaning. Its empty and substanceless, the subject is so petty; I feel like I would dirty myself by even taking their arguments a fraction seriously. The best thing to do is to shame them like they try to do to the rest of society. Do not give them the satisfaction of even engaging in the argument about the garbage they are trying to project.

Fixed. It is funny that you point the finger at "liberals" when it tends to be the religious right who gets up in arms over this. Us "leftists" are just trying to have a conversation, not start a "War on Videogames".

It doesn't matter that I don't let me daughters play these games, it matters that as a society we view that the actions in these games are okay as entertainment. Again, I am not advocating banning this material or forcing someone to change based on my beliefs, I believe in freedom of choice. I merely expressed a hope that as a society, we change the culture that deems that this is acceptable entertainment.

It is also a problem because there are parents that buy these types of games for their kids and my daughters will have to interact with these types of people as they grow up. So on one hand, we don't want to infringe on the rights of an adult to do what as long as he isn't harming others. On the other hand, we need to do more to keep this material out of the hands of children who might not know that this isn't acceptable behavior who may eventually become desensitized and eventually harm others. The ESRB rating isn't enforceable. Maybe it should be?

What matters is that people like you take these games seriously and are delusional enough to think that not having these games is going to fix the problem that not everyone is a great person. What matters is that people like you think every single thing in the world needs to be accessible to your young children, rather than doing your job as a parent. What matters is that some parents are indeed even worse than you and do buy these sorts of games for their children - something I am absolutely against.

Suck it up and admit that life isn't perfect. People are not perfect. There are always going to be bad apples who are violent. There are always going to be bad apples who think their views should be enforced on the world (yes, I do mean people like you). It sucks and I too wish it weren't the case. But you cannot legislate away the world's problems! It doesn't work! Legislation is not a sharp knife that carefully cuts out the problem. It is a sledgehammer that smashes everything it comes near, including freedom and free thinking.

One such example.

Explain how that is misogynist. Especially considering these are the moral guidelines the feminists want all video games to adhere to.

- A women can not be harmed, because that is abuse (even if it is in a video game).

- You can not have a female character with negative faults because that is sexist.

- You can not have a female character look attractive as that is exploiting their looks.

- You can not have a female act like many real world females, because that reinforces stereotypes.

- Even positive female characters get many complaints. Regardless if they are heroic, brave, capable or manage to overcome impress feats, one of the other issues listed above will likely apply to them. And that invalidates the positive attributes of the character and makes the game sexist. If you can not have one of the above "issues" then the character either has to be:

A) Act and look little like a real world female.
B) Limits the types of games you can make. Essentially, no combat games because harming a female character = sexist.

For years we have seen those feminist posters show up at game forums asking for female characters, even if they are out of place for the theme (for example, realistic modern infantry games). Now even more feminists are angered by supposed under representation of female characters in games and push for female options in more or even all games. Again, even if they are out of place. This is certainly not a good development.

There was nothing wrong with games like Mirror's Edge and they sold just fine without a feminist push or slant. Although I am sure they will complain about Mirror's Edge to, which is probably why that feminist who makes youtube videos about games is involved in the sequel. Ironically, she is arguing for sexism by wanting to make a separate mode catered to females.

Fixed. It is funny that you point the finger at "liberals" when it tends to be the religious right who gets up in arms over this. Us "leftists" are just trying to have a conversation, not start a "War on Videogames".

So wrong, you're just being a typical nanny stater leftist liberal there is no conversation just absurdity as usual from control freaks :p. Thanks for proving our point.

What's more offensive and tiresome than distasteful game content is these effeminate social engineers.

GET A LIFE!

The religious right stopped caring about video games back in the late 90's, when they moved on to bigger and better things, like criticizing gay people, or something. Gaming culture is being attacked from the left exclusively now.

May I remind you about the backlash video games received from enlightened, wealthy progressives after the Sandy Hook shooting?

You may recall that an effort to collect and burn video games, Third Reich-style, garnered much support in Southington, Connecticut - a city with a town green, multiple public gazebos, Priuses and Subarus filling the streets and progressive thought filling the mind of it's inhabitants. In fact, support for a Naziesque purge of all video games deemed to be "problematic" received support throughout this state and indeed throughout New England. There was even an effort in Mass. to remove all Mad Dog McCree games from rest stops, I don't recall if it was successful or not, I believe it was.

Again, there isn't a soul on the religious right who gives a damn about video games anymore. That trend died a long time ago. And besides, the influence of the religious right does not extend beyond rural, church-going communities. The influence of the social-minded left extends far into American culture, via their control of mainstream media, news media, academia and Hollywood.

That is why the left should be looked at as a major threat to gaming culture and the games we play, because they have the power of messaging that the religious right of the Mortal Kombat era could only dream of having. They are unquestionably using that power to blacklist the developers who disagree with them, and purge the games that offend them.

Gaming culture is going to be in for the fight of it's life in the coming years. We had better stand up and defend it from the new breed of culture warriors - those who attack from the left.

They are unquestionably using that power to blacklist the developers who disagree with them, and purge the games that offend them.

Gaming culture is going to be in for the fight of it's life in the coming years. We had better stand up and defend it from the new breed of culture warriors - those who attack from the left.
Which harkens back to what "Gamergate" was all about at its core... speaking of, it looks like they locked editing of Gamergate on the wikipage, but with the radical-feminists version as the last update, lol! For a while there were two completely distinct versions of what gamergate is about, and right now its the radical-feminist edit that gamergate is about misogyny and anti-feminism with unfounded accusations of corruption and ethics violations, lol!

Sexually exploited women in a video game. Where's his concern for actual prostitutes?

This! The author's idea to stop violence against sex workers is to make the treatment of sex workers in games better? How many street walkers have actually been victimized by a GTA player?

Where is the authors outcry against actual victimization of sex workers? Where is his demand for legalization and regulating the currently illegal sex work? It doesn't exist because the guy doesn't care about violence against sex workers or feminism. The writer is attempting to stay relevant with a ridiculous argument or be a white knight. Both are disturbing.

The article is a prime example of modern BS activism.

SJW is an insult because of what SJW's have done. They don't demand social equality; they demand special treatment for specific groups. Like most activists today they preach separatism. Our way or the highway!

When it is fake and disingenuous advocacy then yes, he is less of a man for it. His article is full of "look at me, pay attention to me" statements that at large are ludicrous.

Its OK to kill anyone in the game but a street walker? OK, great argument.

A very large majority of sex workers are forced into it, either by financial means, or physical means (i.e. slavery).

Then you could claim everyone is FORCED into their work. The Sex Workers Project has stated multiple times no evidence exists that supports claims most sex workers are forced or coerced into sex work.

Even for those that choose to do it, they don't deserve to be physically abused. Sex workers put themselves in an incredibly vulnerable position to men and are "constantly living under the threat of violence and intimidation."

I agree that no worker deserves to be abused but attempting to claim beating a prostitute in GTA, which we have been able to do for over a decade, will translate into real life violence is ridiculous.

You know what I find particularly disturbing is the level of entitlement by people to whom this property doesn't belong too. If you don't like the content, don't use it. It's about as simple as that.

"Social Justice Warrior" has about the same level of connotation as "National Socialist". Both tried to achieve what they believed was justice against a particular sect of a society they believed to be the root of all their problems, that what they are doing is right for the betterment of humanity. Both believe in the suppression of information they deem to be unworthy. Both have mascots to parade around as symbols of their endurance, despite being puppets of the people behind them. Both happen to consist of a singular group of individuals with a large level of influence across the board.

If you are incapable of seeing the unbelievable similarities between the two groups, and constantly try to find problems based on your incapability to understand, then you might have a problem.

And before it is even said, you're goddamn right I made the Nazi comparison. I have an uncle who lived through the Warsaw ghetto only to be carted off to Birkenau by people who felt he was the cause of their problems, despite only ever trying to help his community. Because of his religion, because of his association with a group, he was seen as the enemy preventing progress.

You wanna argue about "privilege"? Maybe you should start taking note that a vast majority of people who fall into the category of "Social Justice Warriors" tend to originate from an area that is densely packed with like-minded individuals, of similar class and racial backgrounds, with high living expenses and infinite trust funds alongside patreon accounts. This isn't them attempting to make the world a better place; this is an attempt to make their worthless existence mean something, and they decided to do it by going after the one group constantly seen as too weak willed to do anything about it.

The religious right stopped caring about video games back in the late 90's, when they moved on to bigger and better things, like criticizing gay people, or something. Gaming culture is being attacked from the left exclusively now.

May I remind you about the backlash video games received from enlightened, wealthy progressives after the Sandy Hook shooting?

You may recall that an effort to collect and burn video games, Third Reich-style, garnered much support in Southington, Connecticut - a city with a town green, multiple public gazebos, Priuses and Subarus filling the streets and progressive thought filling the mind of it's inhabitants. In fact, support for a Naziesque purge of all video games deemed to be "problematic" received support throughout this state and indeed throughout New England. There was even an effort in Mass. to remove all Mad Dog McCree games from rest stops, I don't recall if it was successful or not, I believe it was.

Again, there isn't a soul on the religious right who gives a damn about video games anymore. That trend died a long time ago. And besides, the influence of the religious right does not extend beyond rural, church-going communities. The influence of the social-minded left extends far into American culture, via their control of mainstream media, news media, academia and Hollywood.

That is why the left should be looked at as a major threat to gaming culture and the games we play, because they have the power of messaging that the religious right of the Mortal Kombat era could only dream of having. They are unquestionably using that power to blacklist the developers who disagree with them, and purge the games that offend them.

Yep, people went bonkers about videogames and guns in new england and ct after that, when the sad fact was the man was extremely disturbed and finally broke. He had been getting some help from his mother to try to push towards better mental health but there isn't a lot you can do for someone if they don't want to improve. It had nothing to do with guns or videogames, of course, just a disturbed man who would have killed with knives, bombs, gas, fire, or something else if he didn't have a gun. The stupider thing is they now want security guards, unarmed ones at that, at school entrances in the buildings, one per. That will do nothing since an assailant will just walk up and shoot him same as anyone else immediately :(.. The area is extremely leftist and democrat oriented, 90%+ votes for decades.

And as far as the media, other than Fox News, basically everywhere else is extremely left and socialist or owned by those who are and spun that way. The vast majority of news outlets omit tons of facts, interject opinion as gospel, and selectively air only stories helping their agendas. Hell facts be damned most of the time, they often don't even get basics right like names, ages (often calling adults teens or kids, and kids get called men constantly when a number isn't given which also often is wildly inaccurate). It's a complete circus.

Generally what side it comes from is irrelevant. The relevancy here is that the context by which this type of 'victimization' is occurring under the auspices of a video game environment is really what is in question here. A guy, wrote an article about the victimization of virtual fictional non-existent characters in a video game. That doesn't bother you in the least?

Back