GTA 3, man that thing brings back memories.

2wiced

2[H]4U
I loaded up GTA 3 just for shits and giggles, man those were the good old days. I remember watching my friends play it on their PS2.

anybody still play it? I was thinking about giving it a go after i beat gta 4

I have it on PS2 still, and downloaded the PC version recently. Yet to install, but I do love the game. Probably why I loved GTA4 so much...Liberty City rules.

Yea I remember staying up for 2 days straight playing GTA3 with a buddy the day it came out.. We were soo blown away by the fact you could do what ever the hell you pleased.

Hell I still love GTA1 GTA 2 and london.. have them installed on my pc now.

gta 4 is by far the best though. i wish i could play it properly though, the framerates are giving me headaches. my opty165 system with 8800gts both overclocked to hell is minimal for this game.

GTA III is by far the best to me. I spent the most hours with that one. Vice City and San Andreas were great as well. GTA IV was disappointing, though. I despise how they tried to make the game more realistic in both story and gameplay.

I've played SA on and off recently. Hopefully they'll fix GTA4 soon so I can get it on Steam.

man i had so much fun with that game sooooooo long ago, its def one of the top GTAs for me followed by Vice City. heh i might have to load them up again :\

gta 4 is by far the best though. i wish i could play it properly though, the framerates are giving me headaches. my opty165 system with 8800gts both overclocked to hell is minimal for this game.

Sounds like a problem with the game itself or your drivers. This is a PS2 game we are talking about here.

Yeah, rented it once, then went and bought it. Used to have great fun running the sidewalks to 6 stars and then seeing who can suvive longest

I remember going to a friends house one day and they were playing GTA3 on the PS2.
I tried it for a few minutes and then ran to the store to buy me a copy.
It was just so much fun doing anything you wanted.

my buddy and I, had competitions on who can have the coolest and longest cop chase.

gta 4 is by far the best though.

Really? Did you never play Vice City or San Andreas? Those are GTA games to me; whimsy and silliness and completely ridiculous behaviour. GTA4 takes itself too seriously. There aren't any bombs strapped to RC cars, or missions wherein you murder people using combine harvesters.

Really? Did you never play Vice City or San Andreas? Those are GTA games to me; whimsy and silliness and completely ridiculous behaviour. GTA4 takes itself too seriously. There aren't any bombs strapped to RC cars, or missions wherein you murder people using combine harvesters.

I love GTAIV for what it is on its own merits but I think you're definitely right on these points.

I'd also add this:

One thing the older games have over this one is monetary incentives and rewards. I loved buying properties and making the world "more mine." You definitely had more incentive in the game to do missions, side quests, and other jobs (assuming you don't cheats of course) to rack up the necessary money to buy properties and such.

GTAIV really doesn't have a lot to spend money on and it doesn't take long into it, again assuming you're not cheating, to buy guns and ammo easily, buy a few changes in clothes and once you're set on those things...that's pretty much it.

My character has a lot of money here at the end of the single player mode and there's really nothing to be done with that money and except for occasional gun and ammo refills I really didn't find myself spending a lot of money during the bulk of the story campaign.

I'd like to see expansion packs to this game and future GTA games have MORE things you can spend money on. Properties and other assets.

First off, I'd like to say GTA 2, FTW. It's better than GTA and GTA: London.

But yes, GTA 3 was the revolutionary/evolutionary step that the franchise needed to go mainstream and make tons of money - and it did. Fun as hell......

Vice City was cool.... 80s music rules lol. San Andreas was pretty cool too......

but GTA 4 is a lot more impressive. I will echo some of the other things said though-

I wish you could buy more crap with the money you make in GTA 4, and I wish some of the missions were more outlandish.

(remote-control cars with bombs, breaking into military bases, etc).

Oh well. The graphics in GTA 4 (despite no AA, etc) are pretty good. The cars and physics are pretty neat too.

I always wondered what would happen if the GTA series stayed "top-down" instead of making the jump to 3D... Something tells me barely anyone would be playing it.. but I would!

(remote-control cars with bombs,

The controls on these were frustrating as all hell. That and the remote control little helicopter in SA. I love these kinds of missions but they just absolutely have got to finally address some of these nagging control issues on some of the vehicles in these games.

breaking into military bases, etc).

Absolutely. That was a bad ass mission.

I definitely want more of all of this kind of stuff as well.

Ive played all of them, and while the others were great (and while GTA 3 was a landmark title), just like the other poster, I still prefer GTA IV.

And despite whatever performance issues others are having on the PC side of things, it runs remarkably well for me (after some tweaking admittedly) all while looking great as well.

Furthermore, GTA IV is what you make of it.
In many regards, it can be just as silly as the other ones if that's your thing, but admittedly, it does lack some of the more silly nuances such as the RC vehicles.

Nevertheless, GTA IV is the perfect mix of realism and fantasy imho.

Back