GT5 Interior shots

6c7cqc3.jpg

67iqg05.jpg

Thats pretty nuts...

Test Drive Unlimited looks considerably better on the interior shots tbh :confused:

Someone is in the back seat with a saw in the first pic :S
look at the dent on the shadow of the right hand, someone is going to die :(

The game looks amazing but I'm still so bent about damage being gone that I refuse to acknowledge that it will be a good game.

IMO, no damage is going to turn online racing into a demolition derby. There isn't anything there to dissuade people from sliding and bumping their opponent off the track every time. At least in Forza, you run the risk of f***Ing up your brakes, steering, engine, or bodywork by doing that. And in a close race, losing any of those is enough to take you off the podium.

Looks a little cartoony compared to DiRT. Meh, inside views are usually only good if you have a wheel...which I don't and don't plan to buy. Hell, I don't even have a PS3 yet!:p

Whoa, tough crowd. :eek:

I think the car interiors are looking fantastic, even if the rearview mirrors aren't finished yet. :)

4ts5ds7qg1.jpg

I do have to say that while on par with most current offerings, isn't anything mind blowing.

I don't generally use the inside views on any racer I've ever played, so I guess it's a moot point as to what it looks like.

These shots are really confusing to me the more that I look at them. I've only played the GT games for short bursts and don't know the whole story or idea behind the game besides that it's racing. I'm around real racing (grand-am) a lot and there seems to be a lot wrong with this road racing styling.

Why are they dressed up in a fire suit and helmets and junk, but the cars aren't reinforced and are totally bone stock on the inside?

Is this supposed to be racing where people just bring their cars off of the street to the track and go nuts?

Why (and this goes for just about all racing games) do the cars never pick any dirt, rubber or debris from the track?

Why do none of these cars have any firebottles, harnesses or anything that is mandatory for even the most basic autocrossing?

I don't know, it just seems like that a lot of things are out of place, and the more screens I see the worse it looks. There seems to be no textures on the interior and most of the track seems to be comprised of 2d structures. Only big jump, from these shots seems to be the exteriors of the cars.

The game looks amazing but I'm still so bent about damage being gone that I refuse to acknowledge that it will be a good game.

Damage isn't gone. It was never there. GT series has always done fine without it. You want damage, go play Forza. Want the best graphics in a racer, play GT.

The interiors look decent but not as good as the outside. Although these screenshots are from prologue. I expect the mirror reflections to be improved for the retail.

Damage isn't gone. It was never there. GT series has always done fine without it. You want damage, go play Forza. Want the best graphics in a racer, play GT.

The interiors look decent but not as good as the outside. Although these screenshots are from prologue. I expect the mirror reflections to be improved for the retail.
Actually if you want damage play DiRT....I was kinda disappointed in Forza's damage modeling. They got just about everything else right though..:cool:

looks like they haven't worked on anything except the car models themselves....need damage too

Actually if you want damage play DiRT....I was kinda disappointed in Forza's damage modeling. They got just about everything else right though..:cool:

I think it's pretty awesome, but I never played Forza 1, so I have no frame of reference.

Haven't played much of Dirt. Doesn't run well on my PC. :(

These shots are really confusing to me the more that I look at them. I've only played the GT games for short bursts and don't know the whole story or idea behind the game besides that it's racing. I'm around real racing (grand-am) a lot and there seems to be a lot wrong with this road racing styling.

Why are they dressed up in a fire suit and helmets and junk, but the cars aren't reinforced and are totally bone stock on the inside?
Because suits and helmets are standard racing equipment?
Is this supposed to be racing where people just bring their cars off of the street to the track and go nuts?
If you havent played the GT games, you start off with bone stock cars and upgrade/buy new ones to get better.
Why (and this goes for just about all racing games) do the cars never pick any dirt, rubber or debris from the track?
Because it dosent add too much to the game? I'd rather better models than realistic dust..
Why do none of these cars have any firebottles, harnesses or anything that is mandatory for even the most basic autocrossing?

I don't know, it just seems like that a lot of things are out of place, and the more screens I see the worse it looks. There seems to be no textures on the interior and most of the track seems to be comprised of 2d structures. Only big jump, from these shots seems to be the exteriors of the cars.
The game isint even done yet, obviously the tires and crowds wont remain 2D, the reflexions and shadows arent worked out yet so chill out.
What's with the shitty vegetation?
See above.

What's with the shitty vegetation?

Lmao.

I've never understood the purpose of the interior car option in a game, to me it seems more like something to boast about showing off how good your game models the interior of a car, but in terms of praticality it's useless. I never find myself using the interior car view, the hood or front bumper view, yes definitely, but in-car? No way, not even in DiRT.

And no damage modeling? Lol.

Lmao.

I've never understood the purpose of the interior car option in a game, to me it seems more like something to boast about showing off how good your game models the interior of a car, but in terms of praticality it's useless. I never find myself using the interior car view, the hood or front bumper view, yes definitely, but in-car? No way, not even in DiRT.

And no damage modeling? Lol.

Some people, such as myself, really enjoy a well made in car view. Not everything has to be about utility or performance, as the in car view adds a lot to the realism. It's hard to feel like you're really the one driving the car when all you're doing is staring at the backside of it. When you're talking about an arcade racer like Need for Speed, then the in car view isn't really that important.

However for a lot of people when they're playing a simulation racing game (which the GT series has always strived to be) then all of the little details like that can really make a difference. Just because you don't prefer an in car view, that doesn't mean that others feel the same way.

I agree though that the lack of damage models are a real let-down. In the past I know they've never included it because of the fact that they use real licensed cars, and the manufacturers didn't want people to see their products all smashed up. With GT5 though I heard it was because they wanted to either go big or go home with damage. Either they were going to make it the most mind blowing damage model anyone's ever seen, or they wouldn't do it at all.

I can appreciate them wanting to do it right, but not having it at all is still a little disappointing. Sometimes smashing the cars to hell can be just as fun as winning the race.

Of course, it's just my opinion. :)

True, and you are certainly entitled to it. :D

I apologize if I sounded a little defensive or inflammatory. Your post came across as if you were saying something along the lines of all detailed car interiors are useless and a waste of time.

The game isint even done yet, obviously the tires and crowds wont remain 2D, the reflexions and shadows arent worked out yet so chill out.

Helmets and suits are standard racing equipment, I know this, but that's the only racing standard in this game. There aren't any legitimate racing leagues (with more than one car on the field at a time) that race right out stock with no safety standards. If you are going to upgrade a car for racing you start with the safety equipment first, then worry about other stuff. And if you want a realistic game, picking up dirt and debris from the track makes a big difference (But then again, it doesn't even have damage modeling, and probably doesn't even let you trade paint). Only time you see shiny brand new cars that aren't the least bit dirty are commercials.

How would picking dirt up off the track make any big difference to a driving sim? :confused:

In any case, cars in GT already do lose their shininess over time (until you take them to the car wash). This has been a feature since the original GT. So no, they don't stay shiny forever... unless you're playing Arcade Mode of course. ;) But picking up dirt and washing it off is just a cosmetic feature. It does nothing for gameplay.

Other more important details like wearing down of the engine (depends on how old it is, and how hard you regularly push the engine while driving) and the need for oil changes were added in GT3, and are far more noteworthy.

I'm not convinced implementing debris damage in the game would add much to the road races. I'm pretty sure tracks are checked for debris prior to races. Even if we assume for the sake of discussion that the race authorities are incompetent and have not checked the track for debris prior to the race, we still have a problem: are we talking about small debris or big debris?

If it's small debris (little pebbles that damage the car paint), then the player won't see it most of the time anyway... is this going to be one of those features that randomly come out of nowhere to damage your car and is completely beyond your control?

If it's big debris like tree branches or car doors that we're going to have the players dodge, the races are going to a little silly, don't you think? :D

We don't even have games with realistic damage models yet. In pretty much every racing game that claims to have "realistic" damage modeling, you can damage the car up to a point -- and then it can't be damaged anymore. The amount of punishment the car can take is also always greatly exaggerated, for mostly gameplay reasons. As a result, the "damage modeling" always ends up being proprietary, and shares only passing similarities with real-world physics.

There's a very good reason why developers only use simple damage models (or opt not to waste any physics calculations on one at all) -- the physics calculations required to implement an accurate representation of damage are more complex than the actual driving physics by several orders of magnitude easily. We just don't have the hardware for it. The technology's not ready.
Everyone's working with a finite amount of computing power, so the flops are really much better spent on the driving model (something that'll be used for the entire game) rather than a damage model (something that'll be used only when something goes gravely wrong and usually ends the race -- player resets).

Of course, the developers can toss the masses a bone by putting in some predetermined damage trip-switches (hit the car from angle theta = show a dent at angle theta, hit the car at this speed = engine power - 70%, hit the bumper x # of times = bumper flies off, etc etc) and slapping "realistic damage modeling" on the game cover, but that's just a proprietary solution that is more hard-wired condition statements than physics calculations.

If we're going to get something that's already fake to begin with, I'd rather they cut the crap, stop wasting processing power, and give us a better driving model instead until technology gets to the level where a proper damage model is possible.

Gotta say I'm not that impressed with aspects of these shots.

That said, I doubt Polyphony would send out anything half-assed so I will just assume at this point they get all those things worked out before they release it.

I dunno, I just think these driving sims like GT are bunk, because they aren't very realistic at all when it comes down to it.

The debris I'm talking about are the stones, dirt and rubber from the track. They are there no matter what track you race at. By the end of a long race, the front fender always is beat to hell or ugly looking from all of the junk. The windshields in these games never get dirty either, which is something that is an issue in real life driving (Some NASCAR series cars even have peel off windshields!). So you guys are telling me the 'Shininess' goes away, and it's been there since the first GT, you'd think they'd evolve the feature into what I'm talking about. There are also a bunch of other things missing, that the average person doesn't know about that could push the boundaries and truly make racing games next gen besides some spiffy models (like being able to flat spot tires, or even have tires play the role they really do....) . When you think about it, we haven't had any great advances in racing sims since the beginning of the 128-bit era...

I think some of you guys are expecting a bit too much as far as little details. Sometimes I wonder if any racing game will ever please us just like the real thing. As long as the game is fun, I'm buying it. Fake looking grass isn't gonna stop me.

Yes, and it also makes more sense to devote rendering power to the car models than to the grass. :) The reason being that when everyone's moving at 100 mph, the scenery will be blurred and all the detail in the backgrounds will be lost, but every little detail on your car and that of your opponents will still be clearly visible. Sure, you could redivert rendering power away from the cars to get better looking grass, but it's only going to be good for screenshots (and the cars aren't going to look as great either) -- in motion, the improved detail in the environments are wasted in the motion blur, and the only thing the player will notice is that the cars look worse.

1) The games not gonna be out for a couple months
2) This is just a preview of GT5.

Considering how crazy GT HD looked, Im not even worried about any screenshots thats out now.

the shots look fine to me but.. The interior looks like it's a 2d image with maybe a 3d wheel and hands, kind of like the old NFS games. Maybe it's just the super shiny plastic look that makes it seem like that.

GT2 had damage. It wasn't visual but you could screw up your engine, tranmission, and other stuff.

Back