GT300 Yields sub 2% ?!?!

I just saw that over at B3D. It was quoted so I didn't have to give his site a hit. :D

Lower prices because of competition, I could see smiling over...

Never believe what Charlie says, he will always be an nvidia hater.

That's why I never click on a link to him. Someone will always quote it anyway.

Lower prices because of competition, I could see smiling over...

True. If ATI or Nvidia fails in a generation, we consumers loose regardless if we prefer ATI or Nvidia (or couldn't care less as long as the card is good). Competition means lower prices for us. Can't say I feel cheerful about this if it turns out to be correct.

Seriously... i cant believe people are even posting this junk. There's no way in heck i'll believe anything charlie says about nvidia. ever. theres a reason the inquirer canned him.

God I love this. It's such horridness.

"Nvidia's execution has gone from bad to absent with low single digit yields."

Nvidia's execution? Last time I checked TSMC makes the chips and the process not Nvidia. Second off, Nvidia reworked thier contract so they only pay TSMC for good chips. Even if all of this is true, the problem Nvidia has is volume, not cost. Furthermore, I'm still waiting for my G92 card to fail that he told me was bad.

I liked the covering his ass with the wide range of expected yeilds.

Practically ensured that they would always fall below one target.

aren't ati and nvidia chips both made on tsmc's 45nm process? so if nvidia's yields are so low, won't amd's be just as low?

Both are made with TSMC's 40nm process, but RV870 has over 60% yield. It's funny how some sources now claim that Charlie would be too optimistic: That Nvidia wouldn't even have any kind of G300 chip ready! These are saying that Nvidia would complete their engineering samples in January 2010

Both are made with TSMC's 40nm process, but RV870 has over 60% yield. It's funny how some sources now claim that Charlie would be too optimistic: That Nvidia wouldn't even have any kind of G300 chip ready! These are saying that Nvidia would complete their engineering samples in January 2010

to be honest.. ive never read one of charlies articles nor want to.. but if you really think about it.. this could actually explain why nvidia has been so silent about their g300/GT300 chip's and cards.. but with the way this article came out not even 24 hours after the ATI 5k series numbers appeared ya pretty much want to hold any of the information taken with a grain of salt.. no matter who wrote the article.. but it still does make you wonder about the silence from nvidia..

aren't ati and nvidia chips both made on tsmc's 45nm process? so if nvidia's yields are so low, won't amd's be just as low?

they are different structure to begin with...

its like AMD vs Intel, are they the same? NO.....

to be honest.. ive never read one of charlies articles nor want to.. but if you really think about it.. this could actually explain why nvidia has been so silent about their g300/GT300 chip's and cards.. but with the way this article came out not even 24 hours after the ATI 5k series numbers appeared ya pretty much want to hold any of the information taken with a grain of salt.. no matter who wrote the article.. but it still does make you wonder about the silence from nvidia..

Umm.... they were completely silent before they released the 8800 GTX too, and the GTX 280. It's just how they do things.

i think nvidia is silent like steve jobs is with apple. they announce new stuff when they are rdy and not before..........that is if there is new stuff to announce.

Pretty amusing to see all of the crazy speculation going on with PC parts right now. I'd lost interest, but in the last month I've been following both the DX11 cards and the whole P55 thing.

Kyle's said that he's hear similar stories to this one, so there has to be something to it. ATI's set to unleash everything on the 22nd. If Nvidia doesn't have some real news (just something that can be confirmed) by October 1st, I'd say this story is probably true.

How big is this chip going to be again? Close to 500nM^2, right?

If GT 300 doesnt deliver 3 x GTX 285+ level of performance I'd be pissed.

Pretty amusing to see all of the crazy speculation going on with PC parts right now. I'd lost interest, but in the last month I've been following both the DX11 cards and the whole P55 thing.

Kyle's said that he's hear similar stories to this one, so there has to be something to it. ATI's set to unleash everything on the 22nd. If Nvidia doesn't have some real news (just something that can be confirmed) by October 1st, I'd say this story is probably true.

So if Kyle hears "this" from the same bogus sources of Charlie, that makes it true all of a sudden ?

How big is this chip going to be again? Close to 500nM^2, right?

If GT 300 doesnt deliver 3 x GTX 285+ level of performance I'd be pissed.

There are several rumors. Many say it's < 500mm2. "Charlie" (obviously) says it's > 500mm2 (533mm2). Lately one popped up that GT300 is 452mm2.

As for performance, it's very hard to predict, since it's a new architecture, but rumors put it at over 2.5x times the theoretical computing power of GT200, so 3x isn't that far away. If those initial rumors are true, it's a question of having higher clock and shader frequencies to achieve the theoretical 3x times over GT200.

There are several rumors. Many say it's < 500mm2. "Charlie" (obviously) says it's > 500mm2 (533mm2). Lately one popped up that GT300 is 452mm2.

As for performance, it's very hard to predict, since it's a new architecture, but rumors put it at over 2.5x times the theoretical computing power of GT200, so 3x isn't that far away. If those initial rumors are true, it's a question of having higher clock and shader frequencies to achieve the theoretical 3x times over GT200.

Only GT 300 specs Ive seen were on BSON. Basically BSON described GT300 as the following

die size - 450-460mm^2
512 MIMD shader cores
512 bit memory bus width
GDDR5
700+ core clock and
1600+ shader clock

I hope they get it fixed up, as mentioned competition is good for all of us, however Nvidia and its vendors need a reality check so I hope Ati keeps the pressure on them and pulls up some market share again this round

Only GT 300 specs Ive seen were on BSON. Basically BSON described GT300 as the following

die size - 450-460mm^2
512 MIMD shader cores
512 bit memory bus width
GDDR5
700+ core clock and
1600+ shader clock

But there are others, which are basically double GT200 (namely 480 Stream Processors on the same 24 SPs per TPC), GDDR5 and DX11.

And the specs from BSoN are taken from hardware-infos, so they are not the original source.

I hope they get it fixed up, as mentioned competition is good for all of us, however Nvidia and its vendors need a reality check so I hope Ati keeps the pressure on them and pulls up some market share again this round

Reality check for what and what needs to be fixed ?

its hot lot. what else can you expect? its definitely not production wafers. 2% , 10% doesnt matter for Hot lot. these are first samples from the Fab. not first samples to customer.

Reality check for what and what needs to be fixed ?

Physx, waste of peoples time and money when games can use the cpu just fine, ghostbusters is a perfect example, why certain games have physx only physics is just a scheme to try and corner people into only choosing nvidia cards.

Nvidia still has its advertised pricing scheme going as if there the only high end card manufacture out there, even when the 4870x2 was king

my new fav, Windows 7 drivers no longer allow you to run an Nvidia card as a PPU with an ATI Card as a primary GPU, do they want Physx to take of or don't they?!

Ive seen countless other fanboi posts you have on the go, so im not going to get into much more than this, I just hope ATI does well again this round.

Physx, waste of peoples time and money when games can use the cpu just fine, ghostbusters is a perfect example, why certain games have physx only physics is just a scheme to try and corner people into only choosing nvidia cards.

Nvidia still has its advertised pricing scheme going as if there the only high end card manufacture out there, even when the 4870x2 was king

my new fav, Windows 7 drivers no longer allow you to run an Nvidia card as a PPU with an ATI Card as a primary GPU, do they want Physx to take of or don't they?!

Ive seen countless other fanboi posts you have on the go, so im not going to get into much more than this, I just hope ATI does well again this round.

Well, I count your post as a fanboy one too, since you already chosen to believe the theory that seems to suit you best...

First PhysX can work on a multitude of hardware components, so no one is being cornered to buy NVIDIA GPUs. If they don't have a GPU that can process GPU physics through PhysX, then physics simulations will be computed on the CPU, which is the default component for every physics API. Only PhysX allows more than one hardware component to be used. That's a bonus really, since it's totally up to the user to choose where he wants to compute physics calculations.

Second, I don't know about the status of that "advertised pricing scheme" you mention, but if they're still doing it, then yes, they should stop, though I don't see how that has anything to do with GT300 and these "needs to be fixed" news...

Third, if you don't understand the reasons why NVIDIA can't support other non CUDA ready hardware, then why bother explaining it ? You already made up your mind about it. My "fanboi" posts won't make you think differently...

I'm waiting to see how the GT300 turns out. I do believe that it will outperform the HD 5870 but will have no answer against AMD's Eyefinity. That was way out of left field & a good move on there part.

It's probably not 2%, but something more like 12%. Still horrid, though. People that believe these numbers are way too low should look at the facts though: Nvidia was supposed to have an event the same day as ATI but what happened with it? Did we even get a press release that day from them? They've also been consistently pushing dates back. Sample wafer showing production-readiness was expected this month. Instead, sample wafer shows up showing much less than ready.

Still, if the rumor specs are to be believed, its going to be one hell of a chip.

I already have plans to go ATI, though, since I'm on AM3 and my board isn't SLI (its ASUS launch board, the one they did all the liquid helium OCing with). So I'll have 3x Radeon 5850 either way. That is, unless a Single G300 chip will cost less and perform better (doubtable).

Ugh, Charlie's articles are so biased, its just painful to read.

Still, is not unbelievable if there is some truth to it. Nvidia could be having some issues, but that's normal with a new card. Didn't AMD had the HD 4770 just to test out 40 nm? Or am I wrong?

What? Charlie actually insulted ChrisRay? Wow. :(

So if Kyle hears "this" from the same bogus sources of Charlie, that makes it true all of a sudden ?

I'd like to think that Kyle wouldn't bother to mention this if his sources were as questionable as Charlie's. In general, the [H] guys are pretty tight lipped when it comes to shaky info.

He has more of a rep to uphold and is less likely to pass along info with less basis in reality.

More important than any of that is that my secret sources say Nvidia's yields are greater than 103% due to new breakthroughs using technology recovered from elves 1,000 years in the future.

Back