GT300 Yields sub 2% ?!?!

I prefer to buy nVidia and have a 260 in my computer right now, but I'm worried that Charlie is closer to being right than wrong on this one. Just because he takes glee at nVidia stumbling doesn't mean they aren't.

If they don't get something out besides rebranded products before the end of the year I'll probably end up with an AMD product this go round and look to get back to nVidia next fall.

I don't believe it... but the silence from nVIDIA is quite familiar to the silence witnessed prior to the whole NV30 fiasco.

So who knows...

The problem with the "silence means good" argument is that the last two times a major launch has happened, nvidia have been first out the gates, they can afford to do it. This time there is nothing but negative press and we pretty much know that ati is in the lead, this means you expect damage control to be out in full force if they had something.

So no, I don't think prior tactics has any relevance seeing as how the tables have turned.

The problem with the "silence means good" argument is that the last two times a major launch has happened, nvidia have been first out the gates, they can afford to do it. This time there is nothing but negative press and we pretty much know that ati is in the lead, this means you expect damage control to be out in full force if they had something.

So no, I don't think prior tactics has any relevance seeing as how the tables have turned.

That is what I am insinuating.

You would think nVIDIA marketing would be all over the place but it isn't. It will be around Sept 22nd and they will promise big things without working silicon. This is just like the events prior to the NV30 fiasco (GeForceFX).

Which would indicate that nVIDIA is in for a tough year and a half. But who knows.. these are only assumptions based on historical precedence.

This time there is nothing but negative press and we pretty much know that ati is in the lead, this means you expect damage control to be out in full force if they had something.

It's already started....or haven't you heard the recording of the Q&A session where they basically said we don't need higher framerates? What we need is more PhysX!

Yeah, pushing Physx as a major point...

Just as AMD and Intel (wierd, huh?) are jointly developing Havok (and I think Halo 3 uses it?).

As if who is saying "that"?

The nVIDIA guy took at shot at AMD for reducing their pricing and I quote: "You're not gonna revolutionize it (the GPU market) by making your product cheaper".

They also downplay the role of DX11, faster frame rates and more photo realistic imaging claiming that what we all want is paper moving around (they point to Batman: Arkham Assylum).

Yeah, pushing Physx as a major point...

Just as AMD and Intel (wierd, huh?) are jointly developing Havok (and I think Halo 3 uses it?).

AMD is pushing immersion with surround gaming and more polygons per character as well as Havok/OpenCL physics.

But AMD is still very much trying to do it all at a good decent price.

nVIDIA WANTS to charge you more it seems (with their shot at AMD in that conference Q&A session). nVIDIA is also saying that we don't need x86 anymore (that it's overkill) and instead we need nVIDIA GPUs all over the place paired with a weak ARM processor.

I mistook your post as asking if B3D was stating it since I quoted the two that linked them.
Alot of what was said in the audio, I took as positioning themselves against Intel.
Fighting against too many fronts, doesn't end well...

We'll know more of what they have planned once the HD5800s hit the retail channel.

Not at all. Since its supposedly completely new architecture finaly utilizing GDDR5 albeit on a big 512bit mem bus I have high expectations for this card.

High expectations are ok... Impossible ones are quite a bit tougher to satisfy

I mistook your post as asking if B3D was stating it since I quoted the two that linked them.
Alot of what was said in the audio, I took as positioning themselves against Intel.
Fighting against too many fronts, doesn't end well...

We'll know more of what they have planned once the HD5800s hit the retail channel.

Yeah the Q&A was odd as nVIDIA also seemed to be attacking Microsoft. Stating that we don't need Windows anymore. Hell they even said we don't need MAC OSX anymore and instead we should have Cloud computing powered by nVIDIA Tegra GPUs.

AMD is pushing immersion with surround gaming and more polygons per character as well as Havok/OpenCL physics.

nVIDIA WANTS to charge you more it seems (with their shot at AMD in that conference Q&A session). nVIDIA is also saying that we don't need x86 anymore (that it's overkill) and instead we need nVIDIA GPUs all over the place paired with a weak ARM processor.

Sure.

I'm absolutely plenty of sheep bought the ION (dual core!? I'll buy one!) system, thinking they were going to run Call of Duty 4 on it...

What they didn't know was it's bad performance compared to a Celeron(single core)/9300 setup.
(and what settings nVidia was running it at...)

The Celerons are absolutely horrible, only decent in the past as a backup CPU for the lga775, in my opinion.

Celeron still did okay, unitl the Athlon II line came out.

Dont know what to make of this, but it shure sounds like the GT300 could be slower than we hope it to be ..
Nvidia believes that in future computing performance will matter much more than graphics performance, which seems to make sense as forthcoming video games will demand a lot of purely computing power to process not only visuals, but also physics and artificial experience.

But I think the things that we are doing with Stereo 3D Vision, PhysX, about making the games more immersive, more playable is beyond framerates and resolutions. Nvidia will show with the next-generation GPUs that the compute side is now becoming more important that the graphics side,” concluded Mr. Hara.

So, dx11 is not the point, faster frame rates are not the point, maybe they should just say "We don't have nothing new, faster and with dx11, so we just rebraning old stuff" :) 3d vision is useless gimnick for me - my eyes can't bear more then 20 minutes in those glassess, after seeing how physx works, I'm disappointed with it. All I care ARE moar FPS and insane amount of AA/AF, along with great image quality. That is most important to me.

Seems this round I'm going the Ati way

Dont know what to make of this, but it shure sounds like the GT300 could be slower than we hope it to be ..
Or they're laying ground work for why the GT300 costs more than the HD5800s.

lol - like Ati is more *decent* or *cares* more for you then nvidia. All they both care about is how much money they can make - that's all their shareholders care about, and the companies exist to please their shareholders. If ati think they can charge more $$$ for their cards they will - if you want a cheap card you'd better hope nvidia release some competition soon or you'll be forced to pay through the nose for that 58xx.

Or they're laying ground work for why the GT300 costs more than the HD5800s.

IMO it's just a delay tactic to make as many people hesitate on buying 58xx until NV get GT300 ready.

The biggest question is just how delayed is GT300? Nov/dec is still ok IMO to catch on to xmas/W7 sales. Delay pass that and things are going to get ugly.

lol - like Ati is more *decent* or *cares* more for you then nvidia. All they both care about is how much money they can make - that's all their shareholders care about, and the companies exist to please their shareholders. If ati think they can charge more $$$ for their cards they will - if you want a cheap card you'd better hope nvidia release some competition soon or you'll be forced to pay through the nose for that 58xx.

Precisely :)

I dont think we will see the GT300 this year at all, if so we should have seen some preformance leaks already. But so far i will just call it damage control from NV.

Its sad tho, Amd will have no competition this year and we are the big loosers if it comes true, from the looks of thing the 5870 will cost over 600 us here in Norway, thats not good.

Truth!

Personally I would wait till both side release their cards before deciding.

Truth!

Personally I would wait till both side release their cards before deciding.

but then again, ATI is owned by AMD... AMD is sucking big time on the performance crown of their CPU architecture...

This money they make from these 5800 series will eventually help fund newer and faster AMD CPU's, and maybe we'll finally see some real competition for intel's i7 and i5's :)

besides, ATI isnt too know for proice gouging, correct? thats mostly intel and nvidias thing...

at least, as far as I HAVE READ, personally.

besides, ATI isnt too know for proice gouging, correct? thats mostly intel and nvidias thing...

at least, as far as I HAVE READ, personally.

Because they are rarely on top performance wise ? Even when they weren't on top, they still priced the HD 2900 XT at the same MSRP price of a 8800 GTS 640, which was faster and often found cheaper too.
Looking back to their clear advantage over NVIDIA, with the 9700 Pro, that card was priced pretty high for a long time, because NVIDIA was late and lackbuster in performance.

AMD also priced their FX chips at tremendously high prices, because their Athlon 64 family was beating Pentiums left and right.

Don't try to paint ATI or AMD as "better" than any other company, because they are not. They just want your money.

Because they are rarely on top performance wise ? Even when they weren't on top, they still priced the HD 2900 XT at the same MSRP price of a 8800 GTS 640, which was faster and often found cheaper too.
Looking back to their clear advantage over NVIDIA, with the 9700 Pro, that card was priced pretty high for a long time, because NVIDIA was late and lackbuster in performance.

AMD also priced their FX chips at tremendously high prices, because their Athlon 64 family was beating Pentiums left and right.

Don't try to paint ATI or AMD as "better" than any other company, because they are not. They just want your money.

I also believe the x1900XTX was priced higher ($70-80) more than the 7900GTX before the GX2 came out and the x1800XTX cost more than the 7800GTX before the 7800GTX 512 came out.

Whoever has the card with the most performance will charge more for it, thats how it has always been, the value for money card is only played by the company with the slower hardware.

Thats what I am afraid of. What if G300 doesnt deliver or doesnt show up until Q2 2010. There is noone stopping ATI from charing whatever they want for 5870x2.

I also believe the x1900XTX was priced higher ($70-80) more than the 7900GTX before the GX2 came out and the x1800XTX cost more than the 7800GTX before the 7800GTX 512 came out.

Whoever has the card with the most performance will charge more for it, thats how it has always been, the value for money card is only played by the company with the slower hardware.

True. Companies charge whatever they think people are willing to buy the product for. Nothing evil about that, just sound business. Thats why we need healthy competition and shouldn't gloat too much if something goes bad to either ATI or Nvidia. We are the ones loosing. They want as much as our money as possible and we want to keep as much as possible.

I think couple die shrinks and renames of the current G200 will be more than enough to compete against ATI 58xx series

I think couple die shrinks and renames of the current G200 will be more than enough to compete against ATI 58xx series

really? Because the 5870 is 50-60% faster than the 4870, which is MAYBE, 10% slower than a GTX 280.

There are those who will buy only AMD products also.

Buy what suits your needs/wants and enjoy. Thankfully we do have choices.

No because nvidiots will buy any card from nvidia :p

And most instances, regardless of marginal differences, they will be quality products, just like ATI fans would expect from said company. Consumers are free to be as fickle or as loyal (usually interpreted on this forum as "fanboyish") as they please. Maybe I buy Nvidia because I like the cards, or perhaps because I like the color green. Whatever the case, it really shouldn't matter to anyone.

Back