GT300 will be better than 5870..

too expensive, Sir? Why not just wait 6 months for the price to drop 75%???:confused:

When you could have 6months enjoyment out of 2 x 5870 instead of waiting ?, why not wait till the 5890 refresh i'm sure prices will have dropped by then.... it's always a waiting game - at some point you have to buy.

The performance gain isn't "marginal" if one card hits your image quality standards and the other doesn't. Also, in some cases a $600 card can last for several years.

Yes subjective measures can get very expensive, case customization or car customization for example. That certain paint could cost more than nice cases.

Well, not all subjective. There definitely is a sweet spot, like adjusting settings on a game that the rig can't max out. Below a certain level it's distracting but fast and above a certain lvl it's pretty but lags.

My image quality standards are probably not [H]ard. I don't think HL2 has the best graphics ever but I'm not left wanting or pondering its faults while I play it, it looks good. Crysis does look more realistic and they draw attention to that but it is a game not an OS.

Kudos to all the $600 cards that will last. I'm sure it will be a fun ride. But the sub-$100 cards are "lasting" while current, i.e. 4850. Depends on the monitor.

Was the x800 line worth it? Wasn't there upgrade fever for the 7800GTX or X1950XT? 9800 GX2? I don't see one sig for the GX2.

Last edited:
I find it funny that the same people sayng that Charlie's articles are BS are full on ready to take Fuad and Fudzilla for his word.... especially when Fuad has had an even worse track record in the past year

That doesn't necessarily follow.

ATI had working 40nm stuff before Nvidia, this generation, so they had already jumped that hurdle, and their current architecture is already a step ahead interms of DX (dx10.1 is already pretty close to dx11 in many areas), they've had variations of tesselation tech in the oven and available in their cards for many years (remember "Truform" that was part of R200, way back in 2001? I do).

QFT. ATI debuted their new, more efficient shaders with 4890, and transitioned to 40nm with the 4770. From what we've been lead to believe, the WHOLE POINT of these products was to get ready for new technoligies for their next-gen GPUs. To say that ATI is somehow rushing out old, last-gen tech is very disingenuous.

Anyway, the timing is critical. If GT300 comes out in November, AND it outperforms the 5870, AND the price is reasonable, then Nvidia might have a winner. But who knows. Maybe:

- it won't come out until next year. By then it won't be nearly as impressive. It'll be, well, about what you'd expect from a GPU that comes out 6 months after the 5870.

- at the time of its release, the 5870 refresh will be near, so the "wait a few more months" strategy will still apply.

- it'll be both late AND disappointing like the R600 was.

- it'll be both very powerful and very expensive in typical Nvidia fashion, so it won't have any real price/performance advantage over ATI

Nobody really knows at this point. All we have is rumors and speculation, and fanboys foaming at the mouth as usual.

I will buy the 5870 in a week, and if nvidia's new card seems worth the upgrade, then I will buy it. No waiting needed. Trying new cards has become my hobby. I cant remember having a card for more than 6 months anymore.

reminds of me of the 2900xt launch ,people didnt wait and bought the 8800gtx and when it dropped they were glad. so i dont think anyone is waiting this time.

I was running a AGP X1950 Pro and waited until the R600 came out to go SLI 8800 GTX.

I will buy the 5870 in a week, and if nvidia's new card seems worth the upgrade, then I will buy it. No waiting needed. Trying new cards has become my hobby. I cant remember having a card for more than 6 months anymore.

I my opinion, I don't think the cards will be stocked in that time. I still have no word from any wholesalers over here, so I believe the HD5870's will still be a couple of weeks away minimum.

Nvidia is the company which ended the cycle of paper launches.... or do we so soon forget? Remember the x800XT PE? When they "announced" the 7800GTX, it was on sale THAT DAY

Somewhat valid point. Nvidia and AMD have seemed to have gotten past their paper launches. However, while the 7800GTX was on sale *that day*, it wasn't for several weeks until it was readily available on a mass scale.

Just saying. Yes, they were selling the 7800GTX that day... all five of 'em. ;)

Can I have your job?

I my opinion, I don't think the cards will be stocked in that time. I still have no word from any wholesalers over here, so I believe the HD5870's will still be a couple of weeks away minimum.

the Fry's near my house is receiving their shipment of 5850/5870's on friday.. or at least thats what the little bird in their stock room told me.. :p

I'm bet you'll see them at Microcenter on Monday morning. Back when the Nvidia 8x series came out, they had received stocks the previous Friday. Mine (Denver) had 10 GTX's and a few GT's. Supposedly that's the case with these, too.

best buy has been known to release things early too. On the other hand you generally see a website having the cards for sell early as well.

I only say this, because the 8800GT, 8800GTS and HD4890 were all here about a weeks or more before most countries.
I will ask around abit more today.

anyone know if they are going to have price drops on the 4890, that might make a cf more ideal for my new system, since i have a 4890 waiting for the rest to be accumulated.

the Fry's near my house is receiving their shipment of 5850/5870's on friday.. or at least thats what the little bird in their stock room told me.. :p

you better get there on saturday, and benchmark some for us OR ELSE :eek::eek:

Anyway, the timing is critical. If GT300 comes out in November, AND it outperforms the 5870, AND the price is reasonable, then Nvidia might have a winner. But who knows. Maybe:

- it won't come out until next year. By then it won't be nearly as impressive. It'll be, well, about what you'd expect from a GPU that comes out 6 months after the 5870.

- at the time of its release, the 5870 refresh will be near, so the "wait a few more months" strategy will still apply.

- it'll be both late AND disappointing like the R600 was.

- it'll be both very powerful and very expensive in typical Nvidia fashion, so it won't have any real price/performance advantage over ATI

Nobody really knows at this point. All we have is rumors and speculation, and fanboys foaming at the mouth as usual.

QFT...As of now, there is close to 0 facts, let alone info regarding nVidia's next gen.
The only fact there is is that ATI will soon be enjoying the performance crown and sales for a period until nVidia rolls out theirs. Then who knows how the tables will turn, but price cuts are for sure.

WOW, lots of nonsense on the forums lately.

Look, all we really know, for a fact, is (barring some act of God), ATi will be first out of the gates.

The rest is speculation, so why are all of you down each others throats?

Does bringing a product to the market first usually equate to being a good thing? Of course. Does the 5870 look promising? Yes. (look better if it was at the $299 price point).

Does Nvidia put out good, powerful cards? Typically.

Soooooo, what's really left to say until we see official benches, overclocks, and prices from both companies? Now, once all of this is on the table, the REAL shit talking can commence :D

I hate all this speculation about specs that havn't come out. Its making me re think again and again my first PC build! I need to slap the person who started this mess.

Pent-Up excitement and fustrations does that :) Add some more fuel to the fire, i have word that 5870 will be in stock on the 22nd but supply is going to be limited, this reliable source who works with XFX closely, will know more Monday :)

Somewhat valid point. Nvidia and AMD have seemed to have gotten past their paper launches. However, while the 7800GTX was on sale *that day*, it wasn't for several weeks until it was readily available on a mass scale.

Just saying. Yes, they were selling the 7800GTX that day... all five of 'em. ;)

Demand was high for those cards, as with pretty much all next gen launches, look at the GTX280, even at 649 people bought them off the shelf, Its pretty hard for like a company like nvidia to have ample supply and can accurately judge demand in the timeframes that these cards are built in, keep in mind nvidia (and AMD) have to contract out manufacturing to TSMC and UMC, and have foxconn or sapphire design PCBs, and contract out for memory as well, there are alot of pieces that go into building a graphics card, especially a high end one. Would you rather have it out "now" or would you want them to wait another two weeks until supplies are "bigger" to launch something that is already complete so it doesn't sell out, even for a day?

I jumped on the 8800GTX as soon as it came out. Even at $600 I am glad I did as it has been the most ridiculously amazing card I have owned. I've never used a single video card for 3 years. Insane. There has been no reason for me to upgrade.

That being said... I am dieing for a new card. I would enjoy better performance in ARMA2 even though the old tired ass engine they use is absolutely hopeless. Terrible programmers. Anyways...

I want to jump on this 5870 right off the bat. A single card that hopefully performs right up there with the GTX295 without the troubles of SLI / Crossfire on much less power, etc.

I would be extremely disappointed if Nvidia's card ends up being as breathtaking as the 8800GTX was... if I get the 5870. Something tells me it will be $500 with a not so impressive lead on the 5870. If that is the case then I won't feel bad about a 5870 purchase except for the nightmares i've had with ATI drivers.

I buy what single card is best at any given time. I'm not into the fanboy nonsense. History though has been kind to me in the driver department while owning nvidia cards. That is my only other concern.

I
I buy what single card is best at any given time. I'm not into the fanboy nonsense. History though has been kind to me in the driver department while owning nvidia cards. That is my only other concern.

With that said. What settings do you usually play at?

Pent-Up excitement and fustrations does that :) Add some more fuel to the fire, i have word that 5870 will be in stock on the 22nd but supply is going to be limited, this reliable source who works with XFX closely, will know more Monday :)
I've heard that rumor about limited stock. A shame too. I'm betting the vendors even with large stock would be asking for more.

Guessing it will be gtx280 in smaller dye with more memory(overclocked mhz) call it gtx300.
They have done it for 3 generation since 8xxx series so why stop now?

Micheal Jackson is alive!
lol at people believing rumors.

with regard to the HD5870 and HD5850...well there doesn't appear to be any stock pending release here in Australia, with no ETA...so I'll still say minimum of 2 weeks, before suppliers have stock. There aren't even any model numbers or available quantities in their systems yet, so can't comment on supply numbers. Early next month looks like the soonest.
The US could get some, but usually stock hits shores here before that.

Yeah i believe nvidia on this one. but it won't be a G80 vs R600. more like 4870 vs gtx 280. or 4890 vs gtx285.sum up it won't run away from the 5870(rv870);)

Dosnt matter if Nvidia has a faster card, it wont sell.
People buy price/performance, which showed with the 4800 series, and having eyefinity, will be a goodie for MMOG, race and fly sim players.

The 5800 series will make ATI, to DomInATe

People liked the 4850 and 4870 because they were cheap.

This round they're coming in with $400 and $300 price points for the 5870 and 5850, respectively. If nVidia prices their offering at $400, performance is precisely what will move the cards.

Dosnt matter if Nvidia has a faster card, it wont sell.
People buy price/performance, which showed with the 4800 series, and having eyefinity, will be a goodie for MMOG, race and fly sim players.

The 5800 series will make ATI, to DomInATe
Actually, it will sell. I use 4 GTX285s to F@H 24/7. ;)

I think NVIDIA has to be able to beat ATI with the GT300. After all, ATI is going first, right? NVIDIA will know about the benchmarks long before they finish the GT300, so they can make all the necessary calibrations and modifications to ensure superiority over ATI's HD5870. Oh well, anyway, this is just my speculation. I really doubt NVIDIA is going to release a card that can't perform as well if not better, because marketing-wise it would be very bad for them (plus they're also more expensive in $$$).

If they can produce a card that's better than ATI's HD5870 but matches the price of the HD5870, I'm choosing NVIDIA. The most cost effective card wins me.

EDIT :: I was just reading up my post and a thought occurred to me: what happens to all the old video cards? Like, what do you guys do with them? Seriously? I'm imagining that a lot of HD4000 and NVIDIA GT2xx people will be upgrading to HD5000 and GT3xx respectively; what happens to their previous card? Do they donate it to charity? Give it away for free? Come on, I bet I could find a lot of people who are in dire need of some great "high-end" video cards for super dirt cheap (say less than $35 shipped). :D

Last edited:
I think NVIDIA has to be able to beat ATI with the GT300. After all, ATI is going first, right? NVIDIA will know about the benchmarks long before they finish the GT300, so they can make all the necessary calibrations and modifications to ensure superiority over ATI's HD5870. Oh well, anyway, this is just my speculation. I really doubt NVIDIA is going to release a card that can't perform as well if not better, because marketing-wise it would be very bad for them (plus they're also more expensive in $$$).

If they can produce a card that's better than ATI's HD5870 but matches the price of the HD5870, I'm choosing NVIDIA. The most cost effective card wins me.

i am sure nvidia card will be powerful, but I dont know how powerful because there moving more towards gpu as a general purpose unit, gpgpu with their new MIMD architecture, by the way it is not that easy to make changes to hardware that is already tapped out, if they did that we all might as wait another six months or more. amd knew the benchmarks of 8800gtx why do you think hd 2900 still sucked big time, even though the card was a few months late to the market, it is easier said than done.

Back