GT:HD vs. Real Life

VoodooChi|d

[H]ard|Gawd
Wow!

I was looking at this and didn't pay attention to the GTHD water stamp and got the real life one confused with the GTHD one. That's just stunning.

BTW mods, I'm hosting this on my photobucket account so not bandwidth stealing.

GTHDvsRealLifeXanavi.jpg

:eek: WOW...i cant even tell if its real-life or GT:HD. Man GT5 will own all racing games.

Isn't the GT:HD just you driving on a track or two? I recall reading there isn't any opponent drivers (no AI, no multi, no damage on cars)...

Isn't the GT:HD just you driving on a track or two? I recall reading there isn't any opponent drivers (no AI, no multi, no damage on cars)...

The pics with the opponents arent GT:HD thats real-life pics. GT5 is different from GT:HD Demo...they're going to have car damage.

I think the fact that they've only done a few cars (for what is basically a tech demo) contributes to the level of detail they've reached, but mostly it's the lighting. They've gotten some color or brightness level on the lighting off the cars just right which I think is the biggest problem that contributes to the cars in games looking unrealistic.

Looks damn good.

Its basically a demo.... and no GT game has had damage on cars.... (that I can remember :p )

I think the fact that they've only done a few cars (for what is basically a tech demo) contributes to the level of detail they've reached, but mostly it's the lighting. They've gotten some color or brightness level on the lighting off the cars just right which I think is the biggest problem that contributes to the cars looking unrealistic.

Looks damn good.
Exactly...

Not only are those cars super-high-polygon count the lighting is PERFECT. That's why it was so hard to tell from reality. Lighting in many games is either overly bright, overly dark or overly "shiny". It looks like the polyphony obsession with perfection has finally been realized with this game. I can't wait for the full GT5 to come out. I will have my PS3 by then.

Its basically a demo.... and no GT game has damage on cars.... (that I can remember :p )

Yeah the only GT game I played was the original on the PS1 :p but the reason I mentioned it because it lacked the other two key things as well (AI, opponents)..

I hope GT5 can actually deliver on what the demo has promised. I get the feeling that with the extra cars, ai and damage they'll need to drop the framerate or step back on the car / lighting detail.

Yup, GT:HD's just a tech demo. It's pretty cool, but it's really only fun for an hour or two unless you're fanatical about one of the cars.
This game looks graphically amazing.
I'm hoping we get some less-serious arcade games like NFS and Burnout that look like that. The GT games aren't my cup of tea.

I hope GT5 can actually deliver on what the demo has promised. I get the feeling that with the extra cars, ai and damage they'll need to drop the framerate or step back on the car / lighting detail.

I may be wrong but it would seem that the multiple cores of the Cell should really help in a game like this.

this better be coming too PC of not it is a crime ;)
PC deservers this after all the PC has the better power ;)

seriously though its a shame its not coming to PC/360 (or am i wrong ??)

this better be coming too PC of not it is a crime ;)
PC deservers this after all the PC has the better power ;)

seriously though its a shame its not coming to PC/360 (or am i wrong ??)

It won't be coming to PC/360. It's basically made by Sony.

And you are wrong. The fact the devs are developing solely for PS3 probably has a lot to do with the quality.

wow thats really very impressive, just goes to show what devs can really do. can't wait to see what GT5 will look like!

Forza2 cannot compare at all in terms of graphics, it looks too cartoonish and shiny.

One advantage that Forza had over GT4 was it performed real time physics calculations in terms of wind, damage, and weight which added some realism over GT4 but it lacked the immersion feeling of driving which I thought GT4 did quite well.

Polyphony Digital has never had a problem with delivering accurate cars/tracks and superb graphics. The problem is the bland gameplay and idiotic AI that hasn't advanced since GT2. Forza exceeds where Gran Turismo fails and vice versa.

Polyphony Digital has never had a problem with delivering accurate cars/tracks and superb graphics. The problem is the bland gameplay and idiotic AI that hasn't advanced since GT2. Forza exceeds where Gran Turismo fails and vice versa.

The AI has advanced with each console. The problem is that although GT3 had pretty good AI at its time, GT4 was probably limited by the PS2's capabilities. GT5 should be another step forward because it certainly won't be limited by the PS3's processor.

How often do we see these demo's / rendered scene's as hig quality

now tell me how many games have ever delivered anywhere near it...

This isn't really a tech demo or rendered scene. This is a real game that can be played on every PS3. It just isn't a full featured game which is why I used the "tech demo" term... for lack of a better one.

To answer your question, I've never seen a demo that looked better than the final product... I have seen plenty of rendered scenes that don't though. This isn't a rendered scene so it shouldn't be a problem.

So your saying that a demo I'm playing currently looks better than the final product will? :confused:

I ususally thought by time it hits retail a bit of work has been done since a release of the demo.

So your saying that a demo I'm playing currently looks better than the final product will? :confused:

I ususally thought by time it hits retail a bit of work has been done since a release of the demo.
Not always...I remember a pc demo for Pro Race driver (1st one) where the car models were super detailed and the damage modeling was second to none....even tiny bits of the car could be sheared off. Of course it was just a demo with no more than four cars on the track at a time (including AI) and it suffered framerate problems even on fairly robust hardware...by the time the finished game dropped there was a noticeable reduction in car model quality and the damage modeling wasn't quite as detailed...and as anyone who played it can tell you..they also borked the physics.:mad:

I fully intend to get a PS3 in a year or so.....I hope GT5 lives up to all the expectations and then some.

It won't be coming to PC/360. It's basically made by Sony.

And you are wrong. The fact the devs are developing solely for PS3 probably has a lot to do with the quality.

A) marketing ploy
B) it allows lower production costs as developing for one platfom is cheaper

there companys and made to make money ;)

A) marketing ploy
B) it allows lower production costs as developing for one platfom is cheaper

there companys and made to make money ;)

Yes they are there to make money, and to make money you gotta make a quality game that sells well. Thats how capitalism works. GT5 and PS3 are Sony products and Microsoft is the competition, it'll be suicide for the PS3 if Sony made GT5 for the 360. Its not because its cheaper to make for one console, on the contrary, GT5 will sell incredibly well if it was multiplatform and Sony would have an even better sales to production cost ratio, but then it wouldn't be a good for its own console.

You have to remember that the demo you're currently playing bears no resemblance to the final game. They've managed to get it looking that way with 1 car on screen and no AI, damage modelling etc.

Doing it with 8 cars is another story entirely. But I really hope they manage it.

Don't know if its been said or not.. But the GT:HD Demo is not representative of GT5. GT:HD, if I recall correctly, is just the GT4 engine with higher polygon count models and textures. GT5 is supposed to have full damage modelling etc which GT:HD does not support.

The AI has advanced with each console. The problem is that although GT3 had pretty good AI at its time, GT4 was probably limited by the PS2's capabilities. GT5 should be another step forward because it certainly won't be limited by the PS3's processor.

...did you actually play GT3? I played for hundreds of hours due to being a racing addict. I can't see how anyone could call the AI in GT3 "good", even when it was released.

Those of you wishing for a Gran Turismo on the Xbox need to join us back in reality. Gran Turismo is one of their biggest exclusive franchises.

I just hope it doesnt have framerate issues..... Didn't buy FullAuto 2 Battlelines because when I tried the demo I could see/feel framerate drops... which is a total turn off.

:eek: Beautiful!:eek:

I have seen some pics over at Neogaf that seem to show the GT:HD demo being run with the EDGE toolset running and showing that the demo only uses the PPE and two SPEs. I couldn't find the pics again but this implies that four SPUs are not being used at all for this demo. I am sure that they can easily add advanced physics and AI and multiple cars and not be forced to sacrifice quality too much. In addition, GT5 will be using the same car models, Polyphony spends six months maodeling each car that is in the game and this dedication is really showing but I don't expect this game to come out for quite some time. I can't remember a previous GT not being delayed over and over again until it is perfect. Fantastic stuff Polyphony, keep up the good work!

I own it.

I did too and I am too. Cars are a big hobby of mine.

Well I thought it was... :eek:

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not calling GT3: A-Spec a bad game (Because it certainly wasn't). I wouldn't have played it as much as I did if I didn't love it.

Hopefully the jump from GT4 to GT5 will be as dramatic as the jump from GT2 to GT3.

I really cant wait for this and if they add damage there will be no reason for me to even consider Forza 2

Back