GT 710 fan won't go below 50%

Ej24

Gawd
I got a GT 710 mostly just for giggles, it was $15. Specifically the MSI GT 710 2GD3 LP. It comes in handy as a tiny, portable gpu for testing motherboards, monitors, it needs only 25w, fits in any case, has all the display outputs you could need. It's a lot easier than moving my GTX1080 around.

First thing I noticed is its fan is a bit noisy, it is small so not surprising. I opened up Afterburner to make a custom fan curve and it appears the fan is locked at a minimum 50%! Why?!?! :banghead: Theres a dotted yellow line at 50% that it just won't go below.

Is there any way to force a slower fan speed? It idles at room temperature, theres absolutely no reason for it to be screaming away at 50%. Anyone aware of custom BIOS for such a pathetic GPU? Is there any other way?

It does overclock like a champ! got it up to 1450mhz from the stock 954mhz, with 2400mhz effective on memory. Got something like 1100 on firestrike :D. And all the while, it's fan was at a constant 50% because 50% is already overkill!

There's a reason the card is fifteen bucks. A speed-locked cheap fan with a tiny heatsink is cheap. Also, a fast fan is the only way to cool something that small.

Last edited:
There's a reason the card is fifteen bucks. A speed-locked cheap fan with a tiny heatsink is cheap. Also, a fast fan is the only way to cool something that small.

It idles at 27C and maxes out at 45C. It's already an overkill cooling solution. I guess I could swap out the fan to a fan with a higher minimum voltage or add a resistor.

It idles at 27C and maxes out at 45C. It's already an overkill cooling solution. I guess I could swap out the fan to a fan with a higher minimum voltage or add a resistor.

That's running in your room temperature house.

And what if you took it into the Amazon? Then the temperatures would be about 20C higher at load.

Or UAE? Even hotter. You're getting close to throttle temperatures.

These suckers have to survive unexpected environments. If you make the fan speed low enough to be quiet, you'll easily overheat outside of your house.

That's running in your room temperature house.

And what if you took it into the Amazon? Then the temperatures would be about 20C higher at load.

Or UAE? Even hotter. You're getting close to throttle temperatures.

These suckers have to survive unexpected environments. If you make the fan speed low enough to be quiet, you'll easily overheat outside of your house.

Uhh I guess. 95C is the throttle temp so maybe if I was in the Sahara I could overheat it. Some of my new gpu's don't even turn the fans on until 60C so I don't see how the 710 can't do something similar. I can just splice a resistor in or put a different fan on.
I was just checking if anyone knew a software tool that could override the cards fan curve.

Theres not much you can do. Just unplug the fan, you'll be fine.

There was software to edit firmware - that's what you will have to do to change the fan speed below 50%.

Back