Gsync or not

NKD

[H]F Junkie
looking to get either a gsync or a 100hz freesync. But I currently have a 1080ti.

I am trying to make a deal locally about asus 34 inch RoG gsync monitor and also looking at new 34 inch envy freesync for 799.99 with built in camera.

Now question is since I have 1080ti can I just turn on vsync and get a smooth gameplay? My 1080ti is watercooled and running at 2050mhz constantly. Since neither monitor is 4k I am pretty confident I'll be getting 80+ average with any game.

In that case would vsync at 60hz work? Plus monitor is also freesync so if Vega is decent I can always swap to freesync but I don't know if it will matter since I can turn on vsync and just turn that on and lock it to 60fps since I know my card will push beyond that all the time?

What you guys think?

I am no expert, but with LCD displays it seems that the higher frequencies are needed to lower the total response time. If I were you, I would save the headache and get a G-Sync display that fully supports your Ti card. Edit: You are probably fine with 60hz without free/g-sync if the display panel repsonse time is under 5ms.

With a 1080ti there's no reason to limit yourself to 60 Hz/FPS.

That's the thing. I am trying to go 34 inch curved. They are all 100hz. Max. I have to look at productivity as well. I am gaming 20-30% of the time. I do a lot of work from home.

And if I go 27 inch gsync I would have to get two monitors, which I am trying to avoid. Wife hates two monitors on my desk, my computer is in the loft. She is willing to have me spend extra on a single big screen.

its between these three monitors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVD5NFG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Above just looks great. and will do 100hz, VA panel vs ips which I really don't mind. But I am able to run this at 100hz like other monitors without gsync though.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...8&qid=1496464492&sr=1-1&keywords=predator+x34

Above I asked amazon to pricematch microcenter and they refused. Microcenter has it for 999.99. I would have bought this already had Amazon price matched. Pretty stubborn rep I got. May be I should order and then chat with them to cancel, may be they will adjust the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-PG348Q-...=1496464518&sr=1-1&keywords=asus+gsync+curved

(this one someone lock selling it for 700 + exchange for extra 40 inch tv I have) It hasn't been used by him since he got it replaced. I am in the process of verifying warranty from asus.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Most folks will find it hard to tell the difference between 100 and 120Hz - I find it hard to tell the difference between 75 and 120, but I'm older than I used to be :ROFLMAO:

if you can snag a Gsync monitor then I say go for it. It will likely be the component that lasts the longest before you feel the upgrade itch. The only thing better would be a Gsync and Freesync compatible TV - and that will happen when I win the lottery and become a billionaire and make it so.

Reactions: NKD
like this
I think I am going to order the predator x34 from amazon and then try to price match it. I am very iffy about buying used.

Last edited:
A good mate of mine has the Asus PG348Q 100hz G Sync paired with a Aorus 1080Ti Extreme. Very impressed I was and a great match if you can afford it.

A good mate of mine has the Asus PG348Q 100hz G Sync paired with a Aorus 1080Ti Extreme. Very impressed I was and a great match if you can afford it.

Yea I might wait for the asus support to respond back to me about warranty on the replacement the guy is selling. He gave me the serial number to check it. But I am iffy about buying used but he said he has not used it since he got it just checked to see if it was all okay, in the mean time he got a 27 inch asus rog gsync. He sent me pictures of both and receipt for both and asus replacement email. He got his replaced in december last year. He blew out the old one cuz he didn't have a surge protector on it. I ordered the predator x34 and tried to price match with amazon and they refused. I can't believe they are so strict with price matching. Microcenter has it on sale for 999 but I have never ordered from them and Amazon is a breeze to deal with. Heck they didn't even offer any adjustment which kinda pissed me off. So I canceled.

You can buy a really really nice professional office-grade logitech camera w/ built in quality mike for under 40 bucks so don't let that factor into your buying decision. I've used one for twitch streaming for years now and people still ask me what mic I'm using cause it's so clear. Don't let bells and whistles fool u.

You can buy a really really nice professional office-grade logitech camera w/ built in quality mike for under 40 bucks so don't let that factor into your buying decision. I've used one for twitch streaming for years now and people still ask me what mic I'm using cause it's so clear. Don't let bells and whistles fool u.

On no camera is non issue for me. I just thought it was cool. At no point it's a selling feature for me. I don't even use the camera.

Grabbed asus ROG 34 inch gsync for 1199 from frys. I didn't want to get used one if I am going to spend over 500. Not upgrading for a long long time now. Putting my HP omen 32 inch for sale soon.

Last edited:
Woah... 2 parts = $2k

$1,200 for that little 34" monitor + $780 for a 1080ti = almost $2k

Actually I got the card here for 575 but i did throw on a hybrid cooler on it for 150. So 725. Monitor is something I was looking to upgrade. As I needed something wider for spreadsheets. I could have bought one for 800 without gsync. But I am selling my old monitor so I should get back atleast 250 after shipping for it. I just wanted to just spend it at once and I won't be upgrading for a long time until it probably breaks.

keep in mind I do have 30 days to return it. I like to fully satisfied that is the only reason I didn't buy this used. If I bought it used I wouldn't be able to put it through its pace. If there is anything I don't like about it, I got 30 days to return it.

Last edited:
Already bad experience. I have no idea whats going on now with my monitor. I am getting 12fps in dues ex and 55 avg overall in Tomb raider, the second and third test in tomb raider averaged 33 fps. It does not look like games are working right. or My card just took a shit, but I doubt that.

I was jus' sayin'... I'm totally lusting after any 1080 card that I can get.

I have 37" & 47" (1080 x 60hz) TV / monitors & after eyeballing all sizes @ SAM's club, I think 40" is my sweet spot.

I have to turn my head while reading & playing on the 47" @ 2x arms length - but 37" is just a bit too small at 1x arms length.

I think I would be happy with the higher res @ 40" (4K x 120hz) and will try that first when I have the cash (like you said - it's returnable).

It's really a toss up for which way I go first - vid card or monitor...

I am leaning toward the monitor first so I can move my 37" to another desk & replace an older 24".

Yea on my Omen 32 2560x1440 I was getting close to 100+ (I think even more) average on my tomb raider game, I switched to 2560x1440 and Dues Ex still runs at 14-15FPS. Desktop is fine. I feel like my FPS are way low. I enabled and disabled gsync but same result. I am uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and I will double check again.

LOL nope in California. I wish, hahah would have been fun! Feel free to fly over, wife is gone for a month to in laws before I leave. hahah

lol just did tomb raider at 1440p with this monitor got 60 average overall. Something ain't right.

Yeah... write down the shit you try / change & keep troubleshooting by the "process of elimination".

Any chance you are near Irvine, CA?

No I am in northern california. Sacramento Area. Few years back it would have worked. I went to cal state fullerton.

I plugged in my old monitor just now going to test on that its HP Omen 32

PS: why the fuck do people live in sac town?

lol. Family! ahahah

On the side note same issue with the other monitor. Tomb raider is playable, new unigine benchmark matches my highest score. Dues ex is unplayable. No matter what quality I run it at I get 14-15 fps. Lol getting 30 fps average at 1080p high preset on 1080ti. Gotta be shitting me. I don't know what happened to my system.

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like you need a total driver uninstall / cleansing / reboot / fresh install / reboot.

IDK w/ the nVidia guys do, but I usually visit Guru3D.com

well problem seems to be with some games. unigine, 3dmark all meet or beat my previous scores. Tomb Raider seems too low for 1080ti and Dues ex is just unplayable lol, I got 31fps average at 1080p high preset. My games are on wd 2tb drive. I don't know if that is taking a crap.

did you see if changing resolution affects the performance? I always use that as a test to see if something isn't screwed up.

If that doesn't change frame rates, then I would try an older driver to see what is going on.

did you see if changing resolution affects the performance? I always use that as a test to see if something isn't screwed up.

If that doesn't change frame rates, then I would try an older driver to see what is going on.

It does a little. I got same frame rate with Dues ex at 2560x1440 and 3440x1440, I was getting around 20-25fps then I changed it to 1080p and lowered it to high preset and got abou 30.1 fps. Not much higher then the other resolutions. Then I ran 3dmark fire strike a few times and Unigine Superposition it actually beat my last highest score.

yeah sounds like something is really wrong with the drivers... Try with another driver set and see what happens.

PS do you have fast sync on?

You're definitely having some sort of an issue, you can use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to do a clean install of your drivers. It's doubtful, but have you switched to a low power profile in control panel?

If that doesn't work, use afterburner's monitor to show what your clocks are in-game.

I've only got a 1080@5760x1080, and I get better frames at those two games.

I am using DDU right now. I will report back. I did roll back to older driver I had the same issue. Yea I have been monitor clocks. The card is watercooled, temps under load are 44c, clocks are consistent 1950-2050. Mostly above 2000. GPU load is 100 percent. I'll report back after I clean it out.

Possibly you have some crazy SSAA setting turned on for those games?

no. I will try again. Gonna take a break. I haven't changed any settings since last time I launched these. I haven't gamed for about a week. Still the same issue. Dues Ex benchmark starts out at 16fps average. Bummed at this point because reqular benchmarks run fine. O well. I might do clean install later.

Possibly you have some crazy SSAA setting turned on for those games?

Holy shit you were right. There was 8x MSAA turned on in Dues Ex. It was fuckin GeForce experience auto tweaking the game. I had set everything to ultra in here and it changed the AA settings for game presets.

I just turned it of and averaged 80fps on ultra lol.

With 2X MSAA I got 55 average on ultra. So

And in tomb raider SSAA was turned on

So I set it to default Very High Profile settings and my frame rate went from 60 to 135 overall average. Lol

Performance more than doubled just changing to in game ultra presets for both games.

Oh and I uninstalled GeForce experience.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back