Gsync and 3080 144hertz tearing?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
My monitor has gsync. If I buy a 3080 and play games at 1440p and the video card pushes more fps then my monitors refresh rate which is 144hertz, what do I need to do? Does gsync fix this? Do I need to enable vsync? I'll get tearing if my fps goes above 144 right? Should I cap my fps at 142? Keep vsync off? How should this work? What settings should I use?

Thanks!

I read i should enable vsync in the ncp and leave it off in game then set my framerate cap in ncp to 141. Vsync should be on in the ncp because you can still get tearing with gsync if its off. Vsync works in tandem with gsync to prevent tearing. Right?

Last edited:
I heard that you have to turn on vsync because with it off you can still get tearing with gsync. Vsync works in tandem with gsync. So it should be on in the ncp and off in games. If I turn off vsync in the ncp, it won't sync frames with gsync. I heard people say both things and read a post from nvidia on reddit that stated keep it on in the ncp and off in games menu.

Def keep it on though. Or else gsync won't work correctly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/8pztyj/how_to_use_gsync_properly/

easiest way to do it is download afterburner, and set riva tuner (that comes with it) to 143 fps cap.

I heard that you have to turn on vsync because with it off you can still get tearing with gsync. Vsync works in tandem with gsync. So it should be on in the ncp and off in games. If I turn off vsync in the ncp, it won't sync frames with gsync. I heard people say both things and read a post from nvidia on reddit that stated keep it on in the ncp and off in games menu.

Def keep it on though. Or else gsync won't work correctly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/8pztyj/how_to_use_gsync_properly/

If I don't turn on Vsync in NVCP, on certain games, I get a static tearline near the bottom of my screen with G-sync on and my framerate is capped using RTSS.

easiest way to do it is download afterburner, and set riva tuner (that comes with it) to 143 fps cap.

Thanks. I just use the ncp. There is a frame rate cap setting in there. Nice and easy and built into the drivers.

When you get a noticeable use case build out a preset in afterburner, remember which # it is, and go with it.

I haven't had to lock on Vsync in a long time, but I've definitely had to build diff fan curves and core/ram clocks due to some update or another that'd just kill my pc in its tracks.

I'm really starting to think that vram instability at certain temps/clocks affect game stability. I also would like whatever Nvidia onboard latency scheme they're pushing become more available to the rest of us. I hope AMD counters with their own system latency tools.

More info and control over our gaming boxes is a good thing.

You'll get lower input lag if you use an in-game framerate cap. Of course most games don't have one, but if they do use that before using NCP.

You might still get some tearing at 143 because it's not perfect capping, so try 142.

If I don't turn on Vsync in NVCP, on certain games, I get a static tearline near the bottom of my screen with G-sync on and my framerate is capped using RTSS.

Same here and this is why CP vsync is required. Blurbusters explains why this happens. It doesn’t happen in every game so some people think vsync doesn’t help but it does.

V-sync does help and most importantly it doesn't hurt if you are staying in VRR range. But people are stubborn...

But if they don't notice the occasional tearing I guess whatever.

Nvidia should rename the v-sync option or at least add a note in the description or something. I'm not sure why they don't explain it themselves nor force v-sync by default like they used to (in early g-sync days).

Last edited:
But if they don't notice the occasional tearing I guess whatever.

Yep, if they don't see it then it doesn't matter. This is really to help people who are trying to understand why they see tearing with gsync on.

I'm not sure why they don't explain it themselves nor force v-sync by default like they used to (in early g-sync days).

People wanted the option to control what happens when you exceed the refresh rate.

Yep, if they don't see it then it doesn't matter. This is really to help people who are trying to understand why they see tearing with gsync on.

People wanted the option to control what happens when you exceed the refresh rate.
Sure, I want control, but I agree with kalston that their settings are pretty opaque. Shouldn't have to go searching about how to set everything up, especially since there are really only two desired states, i.e. one where framerates may exceed the max refresh rate and tearing can happen, and one where framerates are limited and there should be no visible tearing.

I'm fine with that but they could have left the default v-sync state as it used to be is what I meant - letting power users change it if they need to. Not saying v-sync should be locked on as in early g-sync days, that was definitely too restrictive.

I'd argue for the vast majority of users g-sync+v-sync (and possibly a frame cap but it's technically better if the games do it instead of the drivers) is the ideal setup. That would also get rid of a number of posts on their forums (and support tickets no doubt) complaining about g-sync not working :)

Last edited:
I'm fine with that but they could have left the default v-sync state as it used to be is what I meant - letting power users change it if they need to. Not saying v-sync should be locked on as in early g-sync days, that was definitely too restrictive.

I'd argue for the vast majority of users g-sync+v-sync (and possibly a frame cap but it's technically better if the games do it instead of the drivers) is the ideal setup. That would also get rid of a number of posts on their forums (and support tickets no doubt) complaining about g-sync not working :)

Sure, I want control, but I agree with kalston that their settings are pretty opaque. Shouldn't have to go searching about how to set everything up, especially since there are really only two desired states, i.e. one where framerates may exceed the max refresh rate and tearing can happen, and one where framerates are limited and there should be no visible tearing.

Agreed.

I've always wondered why the cap needs to be a few frames below. Do frame rate caps have some margin of error?

That's something you'd need to pose to battlenonsense or GN.

They seem to be working on tests that go deeper, like that GN YouTube clip where the monitor they tested on switches from black to white and vice versa at diff speed.

Nvidia's system latency tools may prove to expand behavior in component by component stacking many of us will find infuriating.

I've always wondered why the cap needs to be a few frames below. Do frame rate caps have some margin of error?

Yes the frame rate cap is based on the last few frames so there's always the chance your instantaneous fps spikes above the cap for a short time. If you set the cap too high those spikes could cause vsync to kick in temporarily and cause lag/stutter.

Here is a nice explaination how to get the most out of your Geforce and a Gsync Panel

Reactions: noko
like this
Back