Gsync 4k 144hz HDR monitor prices 'released'

I think its going to be $1,999 for the US market. Higher than that an they are asking for a failure to launch IMHO

But none the less......what does a craptastic tiny 27" 4k144hz FALD have anything to do with a craptastic 4k 60hz TV?

As for Wacom, I'm talking about their high end models (anything 24"+), not the smaller monitors. In May, they'll be selling their 32" version. The 24" one is 4k with a 10-bit monitor as well. But you'll be spending $3k+ and the thing doesn't come with a stand, so probably $4k+ in the end. I currently use the 27" one, but with the bezel, it's very big, and very heavy. I'm debating on upgrading, mainly because of the parallax for drawing as well as the lag between what you draw and what you see. (And the touch controls don't work too well on their old models).

Sadly, when shopping for desks, most desks now are designed for lightweight LCD monitors, and don't support the weight of it (~55lbs), which is lighter than CRT monitors of yesteryear.
Wow, Wacom's finally stepping up to 32"? I wonder if it'll still have the ginormous bezel that the 27UHD currently does - likely an intentional decision to provide a mounting area for their ExpressKeys remote, as well as a resting place for one's palm when working near the screen edges.

I feel your pain on computer desks, though. Most of the modern ones feel like cheap pieces of crap that would collapse if I set my GDM-5410 on them, let alone the GDM-FW900. The 27UHD with its official adjustable stand certainly has that CRT level of heft to it, that's for sure - not for those who need to move it around regularly!

Honestly, it feels like learning to build your own desk is the way to go at this rate. You can get the layout and structural support you want, and if you don't have woodworking tools at home, check your area for a nearby makerspace/hackerspace.

I'm sure you can find used desks from the CRT era sturdy and big enough if you aren't up to building one.

But none the less......what does a craptastic tiny 27" 4k144hz FALD have anything to do with a craptastic 4k 60hz TV?

The only thing preventing my TV's 10bit HDR & wide-gamut 4k FALD panel I bought in 2015 from running PC content at 120hz is the shitty hdmi input. The panel blows the doors off any computer monitor from back then and most things today.

The internal link is completely capable and it already has ~20ms input lag in a partial bypass, would be even less in a full bypass. I'd rather pay $2k for a fucking real input box alone if they made it instead of these extra late bullshit overpriced gamererzzz blinged-up style monitors, but I already know it won't happen.

Same thing goes for some OLED panels, beside the burn-in risk they look so much better than computer crap.

The above-bargain-bin pc monitor market is a shitshow, 1 competent oem with a clue could wipe out so many of these 'premium' models and brands. There are competent ones but all still clueless so we get spoon fed year late crap like this from the second stringers and they think people will eat it up.

I think its going to be $1,999 for the US market. Higher than that an they are asking for a failure to launch IMHO

I would consider it for $2000. But tbh since this $3k price tag showed up on the European sites, I have been thinking of getting one of the 200hz 1440p Ultrawides when they come out, I just wish there was more pixel density on the Ultrawides since I sit relatively close to my display. The 4k 144hz is still not out of the question for me, but they better have good initial reviews from actual buyers that show they have good QC. Not too concerned about the cherry-picked review samples. Will be checking TFTCentral's impressions but waiting to see what purchasers say.

Regardless of the price we need a real review of the display to determine if the panels are any good, because the precedent for FALDs manufactured by AUO on monitors is extremely poor so far. And it's not like their quality on the previous M270 panel is winning any awards, either.

Sadly, when shopping for desks, most desks now are designed for lightweight LCD monitors, and don't support the weight of it (~55lbs), which is lighter than CRT monitors of yesteryear.

Huh? Even cheap-ass Ikea desks made out of particle board and prayers have a 200+lb load limit.

Regardless of the price we need a real review of the display to determine if the panels are any good, because the precedent for FALDs manufactured by AUO on monitors is extremely poor so far. And it's not like their quality on the previous M270 panel is winning any awards, either.

Huh? Even cheap-ass Ikea desks made out of particle board and prayers have a 200+lb load limit.

Sawdustboard furniture slowly warps under loads well below their advertised maximum - which I assume is a crush weight. Years ago I bowed a 4 foot desk down by an inch in the front center with an ~50lb 17" CRT placed in the middle and an 50lb book bookshelf on the back edge to one side leaning up against the wall.

Sawdustboard furniture slowly warps under loads well below their advertised maximum - which I assume is a crush weight. Years ago I bowed a 4 foot desk down by an inch in the front center with an ~50lb 17" CRT placed in the middle and an 50lb book bookshelf on the back edge to one side leaning up against the wall.

This seems more like a design issue with the desk. The IKEA desks I've had had a proper metal frame underneath the desk board so any bending just isn't happening.

This seems more like a design issue with the desk. The IKEA desks I've had had a proper metal frame underneath the desk board so any bending just isn't happening.

Something with a metal frame under it for support, is a large step up from what I'd characterize as a cheap-ass sawdustboard desk even if it is from a cost conscience company like Ikea (which is just cheap). The one I had was supported by a pair of front to back sawdust boards going to the floor on either side and a sawdust board cross piece on the back (don't recall how far down it went) . There was no corresponding crosspiece across the front to keep it from sagging away.

FUCK THAT you can keep your shit for 3k.

I can go to Costco and get a epically badass 4k 60" for way less and have HDR galore.
You not getting real HDR nor the refresh rate from cheapo Costco TVs. I agree that the price is insane for these. They should be 1k. $1300 at most.

TFTCentral said:
According to our sources the Acer Predator X27 (27" 4K 144Hz HDR G-sync) is not expected to be available until August at the earliest at present, with Q3 still likely for mass availability across Europe. We are still trying to confirm the Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ status
(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)(n)

tumblr_nf7nw8rUvq1r0ndmlo4_500.gif

Last edited:
There is currently a Massdrop for the 65" B7 @ $2K and 55" $1.3K. Not the lowest it's ever been, but pretty low. There's been quite a few opportunities to pick up the 55" B7 and C7 ~$1200 and I suspect the same will occur for the 2018 models, if not even lower.

Personally I feel 4K is too low resolution for 65" when used with a PC though. 55" is OK - 40-45" would be better.

I don't feel too bad about just pulling the trigger on my Asus PG348q 34" monitor now.... I knew these new displays that supported FALD and HDR etc. were going to be expensive, but this is to the next level.

I can also limp along for a little longer on my lowly GTX 980, haha. I have to turn some AAA games down to medium to get nice smooth 60FPS+ but it's still playable. 4k... nah...

I've come to the conclusion that we are still a bit too far away from reasonable 4K high FPS gaming... No way I can ever afford, or justify SLI. One top end card is already a boat load of cash...

Interested in what the BFGD's will look like and price wise but...

LG is probably going to be doing 4k HDR OLED at 120HZ NATIVE over hdmi input in 2019.
TCL is making oled printing tech factories for cheaper and smaller form factor (31" mentioned) OLED displays in the future.
Xbox one x is supporting freesync so perhaps VRR (variable refresh rate) will get pushed into TVs eventually.

Without 120hz+ and VRR combined, tvs are still going to miss out a lot until then.
No VRR in a modern gaming display is unacceptable to me personally let alone no 120hz+ at high fps aesthetic gains.
VRR will be needed even more so vs Judder and Stops from sudden frame rate slowdowns and potholes at 4k resolutions (with lower frame rate graph spans) people want to push their games at.

To me it's not a good time to buy in to something expensive. I'll probably wait until 2019 - 2020 where I can hopefully get all of the modern gaming display advancements available if I'm going to break the piggy bank for such higher price echelons. HDR should mature a bit more by then too.

----------------------------
----------------------------

Juhua Printing developed an ink-jet printed 31" 4K OLED panel

https://www.oled-info.com/johua-printing-developed-ink-jet-printed-31-4k-oled-panel

TCL announced that Guangdong Juhua Printing Display Technology developed a 31" 4K OLED display. According to the report from Korea, Juhua Printing is using 6-Gen substrate which are cut in half for the organic layer ink-jet deposition which is done at 4.5-Gen.

TCL hopes to finalize the inkjet mass-production technology development by 2019, on 11-gen substrate.

Juhua Printing was established in 2016 by TCL's CSoT and TianMa) as an "open-innovation platform" to develop ink-jet printing of OLED panels. Other collaborators in this platform include CEC-Panda and TADF developer Cynora.

Source:
Seesaa.net
Tags:
CSOT
OLED ink jet printing
Posted: Mar 11, 2018 by Ron Mertens

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Why There Won’t Be A True HDMI 2.1 TV in 2018

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/hdmi-tv-201712194520.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox One FreeSync and Variable Refresh Rates: Everything you need to know
AMD FreeSync support is coming to Xbox One – here's what it is and why you should care.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-freesync

" To use FreeSync, an Xbox One must be connected to a display that supports FreeSync over HDMI, which is only offered by a subset of the current display range. VRR support should soon be more accessible with HDMI 2.1 but adoption of the standard is still scarce."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

NVIDIA G-SYNC, Part #1 (Fluidity)
(g-sync / VRR 's great benefits explained with visualizations/simulations)

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/

-------------------------------------------------------------------

High Hz at High FPS aesthetic/motion benefits

Just imagine if the ufo was your entire viewport while you moved it at speed mouse looking and movement keying.. and with a whole world of high detail textures and depth via bump mapping
L7F09ME.png

okw997S.png

We can barely get 100fps+ at 2560x1440 and 3440x1440 with a single 1080ti on on the most demanding games, several requiring some over the top settings to be turned off, settings dialed in/down a bit. You could always run a 21:9 rez on a larger 4k screen.

qIEm8rS.jpg

"Note that while many of the former pictures are focused on blur reduction, higher frame rate on a high hz monitor (without using duplicated/interpolated frames) also provides greatly increased motion definition, motion path articulation, smoothness (and even animation cycle definition) of individual objects and of the entire game world moving in relation to you while mouse looking and movement keying in 1st/3rd person games So even if you had a 1000hz monitor using advanced interpolation, you would still need to run it at 100fps x 10 (or 125fps x 8, 200fps x 5) in order to get the greater motion definition benefit aspect of higher hz."
120hz-compared_mouse-60hz.jpg

120hz-compared_mouse-120hz.jpg

60hz-120hz-30-15_onesecondframe.jpg

120hz-vs-60hz-gaming.jpg

Last edited:
I keep seeing this thread refreshed and think, "All right, all right, all right, they made an official US price announcement!"

But then I see conversation talking about, I don't even know what the fuck, and its an instant boner killer.

Not that I have a boner for this display...more like a semi-boner...not flacid....just a mildly rising semi.

People are talking about taking a pass because it's too little too late and at an extreme price point, especially considering what's upcoming in 2019 - 2020 in 120hz native over hdmi HDR OLED 4k tvs.. as well as smaller, cheaper oled panels due to be manufactured by TCL in 2019+ .... . and perhaps even VRR on tvs over hdmi 2.1 standard eventually if xbox's support of freesync can promote the feature enough.

The "only" thing these have going for them for gaming over 2019 120hz over hdmi 2.1 OLEDs is VRR, and even that could be an included feature at some point.

HDMI 2.1 https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1511934073

The first phase of HDMI 2.1 certification starts in the second quarter, with full certification expected to begin in the third or fourth quarter of the year. Products with the official stamp of approval can be launched following successful certification.

Besides support for 8K and 10K resolution as well as 4K resolution at 120fps, HDMI 2.1 supports Dynamic HDR to enable “multiple static and dynamic HDR solutions”. It features eARC that “supports the most advanced high bitrate home theater audio formats, object-based audio, uncompressed 5.1 and 7.1, and 32-channel uncompressed audio” with audio bandwidth up to 37 Mb/s
  • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.
  • Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.
  • Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.
  • Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.

^^^ The only thing they have going for them is the fact that they will exist for at least a year before 4k120hz OLED HDTVs....maybe even two years if there happens to be a delay over there at LG.

Whether these are $2,000 or $2,500 I believe they will sell out.....however, I believe there will be ALOT of returns of units, because its one thing to deal with sucky quality control on $800 1440p IPS panels but I don't think alot of buyers will accept haloing at a 2k+ price point.

This HDMI upgrade stuff is getting stupid. Why don't they just make HDMI a module/card that can be removed and upgraded???? Having to replace your entire display, A/V receiver, media player and/or cables is madness! This is consumer electronics stuff....not the PC world. Sorry...just feel like ranting.

I'm not buying a $1k+ display again until everything is fully HDMI 2.1 compliant...period.

Reactions: elvn
like this
This HDMI upgrade stuff is getting stupid. Why don't they just make HDMI a module/card that can be removed and upgraded???? Having to replace your entire display, A/V receiver, media player and/or cables is madness! This is consumer electronics stuff....not the PC world. Sorry...just feel like ranting.

I'm not buying a $1k+ display again until everything is fully HDMI 2.1 compliant...period.

Every iteration is new technology, pushing higher bandwidth through cables, and then building the circuitry to handle it from end to end (and not just the DSPs). Even the connectors get swapped out on some revisions.

As far as the HT stuff: 120Hz and VRR are only going to be on the 'gaming' side for a good long while. Content ain't there, so a receiver that can do 4k60 while supporting Dolby Atmos/Vision is really as much as you're going to need. If you upgrade your TV for 4k120 VRR, just plug your new PSBox into it directly and switch there.

They do for sufficiently high end devices. It isn't cheap though which is why most people don't. The Emotiva XMC-1 has a replaceable HDMI board but it is like $350 and that is for a $2500 processor (like a receiver but no power amps). Likewise you see high end displays with modular input setups, NEC's high end professional products can do that. At the even higher end things like the Datasat RS20i are fully modular, no fixed IO you buy the boards you need. All costs a lot of money though.

Also there is some limited utility to it, particularly on a display. Getting a new HDMI input won't make a panel faster, nor would it allow for variable refresh without additional circuitry. It really wouldn't gain you anything in all likelihood.

Technology evolves, that is life. You decide when it has moved enough to warrant paying the money to upgrade.

My advice: get this solid wood table top for $90 at ikea and add any 4 legs you like. I never knew they even offered this until a couple years ago and it’s been a revelation. Simple, minimalistic, I made my desk fo $120 and curated it for a week with linseed oil. Now it’s a perfect, spacious, smooth and super sturdy office desk.

At least 4-5 large if this is anything to go by?

I really doubt that. The BFGD is smeary craptastic VA and 2019 OLEDs will be on the horizon by the time the BFGD comes out later this year. They will be lucky to get $2500 for them.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I really doubt that. The BFGD is smeary craptastic VA and 2019 OLEDs will be on the horizon by the time the BFGD comes out later this year. They will be lucky to get $2500 for them.

Plus in 2019 we might get smaller sized OLED and if not then 2020. When we asked for a bigger high refresh 4k I'm not sure what made them go from 27 inches all the way to 65:rolleyes:

My biggest problem with the BFGD is viewing distance followed by pixel density. You need to be pretty far away from it to avoid turning your head -- I would estimate 4-5 feet minimum. And the PPI is an eye watering 67, so if you get too close, you're going to be able to see each and every pixel. 55" is already pushing it for viewing distance in a desk setup, 65" just seems completely silly. It seems obviously designed for couch gaming setups that use a PC for some reason, which feels like a pretty tiny niche to me. Then add the likely-hilarious pricing and the fact that it's going to be a mediocre VA-based FALD, and it's hard to get excited about it at all.

Based on my experience with all three sizes of 4k displays

65" 4k is good from over 10 feet away

55" 4k is good from 5-6 Feet

39" 4K is good from 3-4 Feet

Right now I am running an X39 4k120 and it is epic despite all the VA drawbacks
The moment a 40" OLED 4k120hz is available I am SOLD

Pretty much made for further away I'd think, yes. Perceived screen size and pixel density is relative to the viewing distance obviously. However if you have the room it's a lot easier to move a 65" further than stretch a 27" larger without pressing it against your nose. (VR sort of does that though with in your face screens using lenses to give a focal distance).

I run my 70" 4k VA tv about 8' away from my eyeballs at my couch incidentally.

A good FALD VA implementation (384 zone is a relatively high density, and HDR at that) is nothing to sniff at imo. FALD could increase the contrast ratio and black depth by 30% or more over VA's already 3x greater than IPS and TN displays, and modern VA gaming displays have been shown with fast enough response times (+ overdrive) to get at least 120fps at 120hz tightly. G-sync/VRR is nothing to sniff at either. Choosing a display without it, especially at 4k resolution and frame rates would be big tradeoff and a mistake for me.

Until there are 120hz native over hdmi 2.1 4k HDR OLEDs with VRR these won't be surpassed, and even those TVs would be 55" or more (unless TCL gets their OLED printing models out and incorporates 120hz and VRR in their 31" ones someday).

Considering that 120hz native hdmi 2.1 on 4k HDR OLED tvs is due out in 2019 (they can stream 4k 120fps at 120hz on their modern OLED tvs now, they just dont have hdmi to support direct input).. and with potential of VRR being included along the way since hdmi 2.1 supports it, breaking the piggy bank for one of these FALD VAs doesn't sound like a good idea to me personally since they are going to cost so much. I'm going to pick my battle on this and wait it out.

Last edited:
384 zone is a relatively high density
It is extremely low density. It is like having resolution of 24x16 behind panel.
FALD would be awesome if they had resolution of 160x90 = 14400 zones ... and if they had price tag od >3k would be justified.

not relative to oled per pixel but relative to some 32 and 64 , and 128 zone FALD arrays on TVs, and obviously compared to edge lit.

This isn't accurate to what their fald array would be exactly but it is a 384 square grid I overlayed.
The really low density fald on my VA tv brings the contrast up from 5700:1 to 8150:1. Compared to OLED's .0005 black depth that's not saying much. However gaming VA's start at 3000:1 contrast ratio compared to 870 - 900 :1 for TN and IPS gaming displays (full featured gaming displays with 120hz+, VRR, modern overdrive, etc).. and the FALD could add another 30% or more contrast ratio and black depth to that.

384 FALD zone 16:9 mock-up (25.56 x 15.04 zones)

Too little too late though considering what's coming down the pipe. I also heard today that xboxone is supporting high hz (and 1440p) now as well as VRR. 120hz + VRR console support and hdmi 2.1 in 2019 is well worth waiting to see if some oled tvs will have both 120hz and VRR in 2019 - 2020 rather than drop thousands of dollars on a 4k HDR FALD VA in 2018, to me personally.

Last edited:
For VRR support on PC you would have to get Nvidia on board and I don't think they are going to give up their proprietary G-Sync so easily. Hell, we still don't even have support for proper integer scaling of 1080p to 4k on Nvidia GPUs (or AMD for that matter) despite it being a requested feature years ago.

While it's great that consoles will support it (hopefully Sony adds it as well), getting support on PC is going to be a bigger uphill battle. It also doesn't help that TVs are made with panels that are too massive for most people. I looked at the Acer ET430K 43" model in a store recently and would not want something like that on my desk, just uncomfortably big.

It being official HDMI2.1 feature and not called "AMD FreeSync" does bring some hope.... maybe in 2020? :banghead:

Back