GSYNC 40 fps?question

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello. I have GSYNC AORUS AD27QD monitor. Card is Rtx 2080 Ti Waterforce Xtreme. My question is.
When playing Remedy Control on 1440P with MSAA 4x and RTX HIGH i have during heavy fights scenes dips to 40fps even to 35-38fps. When on screen are many enemies and many explosions. I dont feel there super smooth even when GSYNC is on.
GSYNC ON on 50FPS is super smooth. But with 35-45fps not. Is this correct?

I have GSYNC on enabled for fullscreen in nvidia panel.

VRR range on the AD27QD is 48-144 Hz.

upload_2020-1-2_10-57-52.png

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

Your monitor isn't truly a G-sync monitor. It is G-sync compatible.

The physical G-Sync hardware modules in true G-Sync monitors work down to 30hz.

Edited from 35 to 30 for accuracy.

Last edited:
Your monitor isn't truly a G-sync monitor. It is G-sync compatible.

The physical G-Sync hardware modules in true G-Sync monitors work down to 35hz.
FPGA G-SYNC monitors go down to 30 Hz and then utilize LFC down to 1 Hz, though eliminating tearing at those kinds of framerates isn't going to remove the stutter.

So what is difference between GSYNC compatible vs real gsync then?

I had previously acer predator xb271hu and the same feeling i had. But that monitor was true GSYNC.So?

G-SYNC Compatible uses VESA Adaptive Sync through DisplayPort to sync the refresh rate with the frame rate, which requires software in between. G-SYNC and G-SYNC Ultimate use a FPGA to replace the scalar in the monitor and the circuit handles the syncing between the frame rate and monitor refresh rate. The primary advantage of the latter is lower latency and lower occurrence of display artifacts such as judder. It also interfaces with G-SYNC Ultimate in order to provide VRR with HDR.

The XB271HU used a first generation FPGA. LFC wasn't as good or robust as the second generation FPGA. Besides that, VRR isn't going to remove stutter as the result of any performance issues you are experiencing. It is solely used to eliminate screen tearing with minimal latency added. If you are typically getting 70-100 FPS and experiencing sudden drops into the 30s then VRR isn't going to smooth that out.

some good gsync panels can go as low at 10-15fps for gsync activation, most panels that are just compatible are 48 as listed in the chart above. My freesync panel kicks in at 40fps at 144hz 2560x1440p which is a pretty nice touch, especially for 4k games.

My previous ACER PREDATOR XB271HUA on 40-45 fps was feel slowish too.

Indeed. Even though I don't keep a FPS counter on screen I can still feel when it falls below 50 with G-SYNC on.
I do keep a fps counter on the screen and fortunately I only perceive the lack of smoothness when FPS drops below about 40 fps with gsync

Yah so better grab down res with fully RTX to achieve 60 fps haha :)

What's with the nonsense in this thread. G-SYNC Compatible displays with 48-144 VRR range will work fine from slide show frame rates to max VRR limit. Once you go below 50 FPS it can't possibly look as good as >60 FPS. There's no tearing and v-sync stutter but 35 FPS is 35 FPS - not enough to be smooth.

20 FPS will be at least tripled thanks to LFC and it will look as good as 20 FPS can.

What's with the nonsense in this thread. G-SYNC Compatible displays with 48-144 VRR range will work fine from slide show frame rates to max VRR limit. Once you go below 50 FPS it can't possibly look as good as >60 FPS. There's no tearing and v-sync stutter but 35 FPS is 35 FPS - not enough to be smooth.

20 FPS will be at least tripled thanks to LFC and it will look as good as 20 FPS can.

Agreed, Low Framerate Compensation (adds in extra frames below the VRR minimum) works well, but neither that or a monitor with an actual G-Sync module is going to make <48 fps look as good as 60+ fps. If the goal is smoothness, money is better spent on a faster GPU and/or CPU than spending extra on a monitor with a G-Sync module.

Back