GSM Samsung Galxay Nexus 439.00

Yikes, and I thought arguing with my 8 year old niece was frustrating...

Anyway, its pretty clear form your repeated replies that you really dont have a good grasp of what the difference between AOSP and the Nexus stock ROMs are, and the difference between AOSP compiled with in-version AOSP drivers vs one compiled with non-AOSP drivers are.

Also, the legions of developers and users that use open source ROMs on Nexus devices really does prove your "nobody should ever use AOSP on a Nexus device!!!" BS completely wrong. Seriously, if you are arguing that open source ROMs or Cyanogenmod shouldn't be used on Nexus devices, you'll lose that argument every time. Seriously, if its as unnecessary as you say, there wouldn't have been two other people in this very thread that used it on their nexuses, excluding me....

Its not a big deal really, but when you don't know what you are talking about, don't be so hostile, especially when someone tries to teach you.... Hell, hopefully next time, you'll learn a thing or two....

ok.. I will use little words here...

If you are a developer then put a rom on a nexus.. that is the original purpose afterall.

If your using it as a smartphone then there is no reason to put anything other then stock.

And lets not forget that the stock Nexus rom is a AOSP rom.. So why dont you stop talking out of your ass & making shit up such as

"nobody should ever use AOSP on a Nexus device!!!"
being as you apparently dont know what the fuck AOSP is..

I just got mine - just fyi to the rom fight - it came with 4.0.1 and it seemed there was no update over air - I was boot unlocking/rooting and roming any how - to 4.0.4 with a newer base band for better reception -revolution HD this particular rom includes

Removed software (CPU) rendering - full PowerVR SGX 540 (GPU) rendering
Fully optimized and tweaked
ROOT (SU + SuperUser Permissions - Thanks to ChainsDD)
Unsecured boot.img
Newest BusyBox
RAM optimizations
Speed optimizations
Data, cache and system partitions mounting tweaks
Bloatware applications removed (Google Earth etc.)
All system applications updated to latest available
Advanced Power Menu as add-on in the second post
Zipaligned (Improved RAM management)
Zipalign on boot (for user applications on data partition)
Fully de-odexed
init.d scripts (BusyBox run-parts) support
sysro/sysrw commands support
Excellent battery life!
Device partitions mounted & formatted as fast EXT4 with many optimizations and EXT4 alignment
OpenVPN support

and so far I am really liking it ..so there are plenty of reasons to go with a different rom.

I just got mine - just fyi to the rom fight - it came with 4.0.1 and it seemed there was no update over air - I was boot unlocking/rooting and roming any how - to 4.0.4 with a newer base band for better reception -revolution HD this particular rom includes

The OTA update wont normally run right away.. There should have been available to at-least 4.0.3 for that (4.0.4 has only been out since march 28th though I did receive it OTA for my Nexus S yesterday)

Removed software (CPU) rendering - full PowerVR SGX 540 (GPU) rendering
Fully optimized and tweaked
ROOT (SU + SuperUser Permissions - Thanks to ChainsDD)
Unsecured boot.img
Newest BusyBox
RAM optimizations
Speed optimizations
Data, cache and system partitions mounting tweaks
Bloatware applications removed (Google Earth etc.)
All system applications updated to latest available
Advanced Power Menu as add-on in the second post
Zipaligned (Improved RAM management)
Zipalign on boot (for user applications on data partition)
Fully de-odexed
init.d scripts (BusyBox run-parts) support
sysro/sysrw commands support
Excellent battery life!
Device partitions mounted & formatted as fast EXT4 with many optimizations and EXT4 alignment
OpenVPN support

and so far I am really liking it ..so there are plenty of reasons to go with a different rom.

The only thing on that list that applies to a normal smartphone user is the battery life. The rest would fall into what I started with as describing those that want a big boy toy (post 24). And battery life alone would be worth the trouble if it was a really substantial increase.. But I suspect that the extra life is limited at best.

If your using it as a smartphone then there is no reason to put anything other then stock.

:rolleyes: Yea, because your word is the be all and end all, and no end user, anywhere should flash a custom ROM on a nexus because you said so...

you, who didn't know what the features of Cyanogenmod were until this thread.... And who has probably never attempted to build a ROM ever.... sure, people should take your work for it...

Learn something, read a book, you'll be amazed, there are many others in the world with different opinions than your own.... hell, I'm willing to be its more common than you might think, considering your closed minded take on something you know so little about...

The OTA update wont normally run right away.. There should have been available to at-least 4.0.3 for that (4.0.4 has only been out since march 28th though I did receive it OTA for my Nexus S yesterday)

The only thing on that list that applies to a normal smartphone user is the battery life. The rest would fall into what I started with as describing those that want a big boy toy (post 24). And battery life alone would be worth the trouble if it was a really substantial increase.. But I suspect that the extra life is limited at best.

Lol, yet another person installing a custom ROM on their Nexus, and they list a crapton of things that their new ROM does for them that stock didn't do.... and you completely dismiss them out of hand.... I don't think I've seen ignorance or trolling on your level in quite some time...

Face it, there are legitimate reasons why a whole host of end users would want to replace the stock firmware on their Nexus.... seriously, open your fucking eyes, and go to the XDA forums, and see how many people that POST there (mind you, not even a fraction of all those downloading, as most dont post), use built from source ROMs on their Nexus....

:rolleyes: Yea, because your word is the be all and end all, and no end user, anywhere should flash a custom ROM on a nexus because you said so...

you, who didn't know what the features of Cyanogenmod were until this thread.... And who has probably never attempted to build a ROM ever.... sure, people should take your work for it...

Learn something, read a book, you'll be amazed, there are many others in the world with different opinions than your own.... hell, I'm willing to be its more common than you might think, considering your closed minded take on something you know so little about...

Lol, yet another person installing a custom ROM on their Nexus, and they list a crapton of things that their new ROM does for them that stock didn't do.... and you completely dismiss them out of hand.... I don't think I've seen ignorance or trolling on your level in quite some time...

Face it, there are legitimate reasons why a whole host of end users would want to replace the stock firmware on their Nexus.... seriously, open your fucking eyes, and go to the XDA forums, and see how many people that POST there (mind you, not even a fraction of all those downloading, as most dont post), use built from source ROMs on their Nexus....

You just fucking quoted my point.. If your using it as a smartphone then there is NO REASON TO put on a custom rom... If your using it as a toy then that IS A REASON TO put on a custom rom..

And no I stopped making custom rom's well before android even hit the market. The last I did was was for an HTC wizzard.

So learn to read you dont even have to comprehend.. jsut read..

One such reason is USB host audio.

USB Audio out would mean bypass the internal DAC, which for one reason or another, doesn't work on stock ICS or Gingerbread (where's the missing usbaudio.c). Cyanogen 7 and 9 has this in kernel, so yea... there are some of us that would want to bypass internal DAC for audio.
Some of us that hook the phone up to the car would rather have that support. By your definition, because I can use 3.5mm jack to output audio, going the extra mile and have audio decoding done outside of the phone would be a case of mere trifles?

Here's another one.

If you want to use ExFAT, you have no choice but to flash custom. Using ExFat (micro SDXC) on your phone is more efficient than the likes of FAT32, which unfortunately is all that you can getaway with on stock rom. This isn't really for the sake of a grownup toy...

Lastly, why the hell would you put down the value of a grownup toy! The fact that you can toy with it greatly justifies itself.

Last edited:
You just fucking quoted my point.. If your using it as a smartphone then there is NO REASON TO put on a custom rom... If your using it as a toy then that IS A REASON TO put on a custom rom..

You call it using it as a toy.... the rest of us are just happy to have a smartphone whose software WE control, and which has a host of useful features that WE want to use.... and when I say WE, I mean me, at least 3 other users in this forum, my girlfriend (as far from tech savvy as you can be), and countless other people on xda and other places who just want a ROM they control, with built in features that make their SMARTPHONE more useful...

I guess you use your phone as a toy? Thats cool I guess.... the rest of us have other, more fun things to play with....

USB Audio out would mean bypass the internal DAC, which for one reason or another, doesn't work on stock ICS or Gingerbread (where's the missing usbaudio.c). Cyanogen 7 and 9 has this in kernel, so yea... there are some of us that would want to bypass internal DAC for audio.
Some of us that hook the phone up to the car would rather have that support. By your definition, because I can use 3.5mm jack to output audio, going the extra mile and have audio decoding done outside of the phone would be a case of mere trifles?

Here's another one.

If you want to use ExFAT, you have no choice but to flash custom. Using ExFat (micro SDXC) on your phone is more efficient than the likes of FAT32, which unfortunately is all that you can getaway with on stock rom. This isn't really for the sake of a grownup toy...

Lastly, why the hell would you put down the value of a grownup toy! The fact that you can toy with it greatly justifies itself.

be careful, the troll seems to have a fragile ego, and any evidence that the rest of the world doesn't see things as he does will send him into an incoherent rage (just read the thread for evidence)

wait, wait, how do you do this? I didn't even know this was a thing yet.... I'd be thrilled if it was, I bring back gigabytes of data from work home most weekends, and have a hard as hell time because of file size limitations (usually have to split up files... takes forever...)

Guess its off to Google for me....

Well, even now, you can stick a micro sdxc into a phone and make it work, but you'd lose the exFAT file format. MS owns proprietary rights to exFAT so...

ps: Having close to 60GB on one microSD is really nice. I am hoping for 128GB v. of micro SDXC to come out by middle of the year...

I guess you use your phone as a toy? Thats cool I guess.... the rest of us have other, more fun things to play with....

Remember that part where I said you should learn to read.. Yea, that again..

Here's another one.

I never downplayed the value of it being a grownup toy. The fact is that the Nexus line was made for this purpose more-so then any other smartphone ever..
Also the audio stuff above is a new one on me.. I rarely bother with it on my phone as I typically have a much better source for music then my phone (Pandora in my home office as well as work office on my computers & all 3 TV's in my house & in the car I have a radio & I listen to the local rock station or if that wasn't good enough I would flip over to Sirius).

The only thing on that list that applies to a normal smartphone user is the battery life. The rest would fall into what I started with as describing those that want a big boy toy .

lol?

And yea, the Nexus phones were made to be the most vanilla, up to date phones. Thats it. Those qualities make it an excellent phone for those who want to run real Android on a stock ROM, and those SAME qualities make it the most attractive line to run built from source community ROMs as well. ROMs that, for many of us, make our smartphones more useful and versatile.

Sorry to pee in your cheerios there little boy.

lol?

And yea, the Nexus phones were made to be the most vanilla, up to date phones. Thats it. Those qualities make it an excellent phone for those who want to run real Android on a stock ROM, and those SAME qualities make it the most attractive line to run built from source community ROMs as well. ROMs that, for many of us, make our smartphones more useful and versatile.

Sorry to pee in your cheerios there little boy.

Holy Fuck man.. There ya go agreeing with what I have been saying all along again.. Ie: Blue is to use the phone as a phone & Red is for those who want a big boy toy.. Great fucking job at reading.. Now if only you could comprehend..

Holy Fuck man.. There ya go agreeing with what I have been saying all along again.. Ie: Blue is to use the phone as a phone & Red is for those who want a big boy toy.. Great fucking job at reading.. Now if only you could comprehend..

Except, we're not using it as a toy, we're using it as an Android phone, whose software we control, and whose software has a host of usability and productivity features BUILT IN, that aren't available on stock android.....

Yes, there are many of us that use aftermarket firmware because we want our smartphone to work better than stock, and no, despite your infantile insistence, we are not using our phones as toys....

But yea, keep continually missing the point and pretending that nobody but you knows how to use a phone, and getting all worked up and hostile for no reason... I promise you, your puberty will end soon enough...

Except, we're not using it as a toy, we're using it as an Android phone, whose software we control, and whose software has a host of usability and productivity features BUILT IN, that aren't available on stock android.....

Yes, there are many of us that use aftermarket firmware because we want our smartphone to work better than stock, and no, despite your infantile insistence, we are not using our phones as toys....

But yea, keep continually missing the point and pretending that nobody but you knows how to use a phone, and getting all worked up and hostile for no reason... I promise you, your puberty will end soon enough...

Dude, your the only one getting worked up.. You have tried over & over again to twist my words & my point, but you have only re-affirmed them.

Beyond that.. Read my signature & get over yourself..

Wow, you two need to chill the heck out... Some of you also need to seriously stop geek'ing out over this. You keep alluding to all these improvements in CM without listing most of them (and I did read the thread thoroughly), the ones you've actually discussed are some of the most esoteric fringe-cases (stuff that only geeks like us get hyped about). Which is not to say that bastage is right, dude, seriously, Google's your friend.

There's tons of basic UI improvements that make a huge difference to the daily use of the phone and they were things seen first on CM, then later adopted by manufacturer skins or AOSP itself. I'm talking about things like lock screen shortcuts (see HTC Sense's 4 shortcuts or the camera shortcut now in ICS), notification pain toggles for Wifi/Bluetooh/etc (again, found later in Sense, TouchWiz, and HC/ICS), bandwith management tools (new in ICS), more notification light options (still scarce because most phones just have a green/red notification LED), slide to clear notifications so you don't have to choose between switching to the app or letting it linger there cluttering your notification pane (again, new in ICS, and back-ported to a lot of other manufacturer mods, I have it on my EVO 3D running GB), native screenshot capablities (which some manufacturers have added in GB and once again, it was built into stock Android on HC/ICS), the list goes on and on and on...

All those things are basic usability features and tweaks that make the OS and the phone in general much more enjoyable to use, and as you may have noticed a ton of 'em were later adopted and built into HC or ICS after Matias Duarte joined Android's design team (shocker). Do they alter the basic functionality of the phone? Perhaps not, but they make the devices seem a lot more polished. I'm sure CM9 will end up adding a ton of new stuff atop ICS eventually, they're currently re-evaluating all the old mods and additions since a lot of them were absorbed by stock Android. If anything, CM is one of the more polished AOSP ROMs in this regard, they don't just add stuff for the hell of it nor add stuff that's of very limited use or which could clutter the device or UI for some.

So yeah, there's plenty of reasons to run a custom ROM even if you have a Nexus device and if you can't see then you're just being purposely dense. It really doesn't have to be a huge time sink either, if you just pick a stable release or a widely used ROM it's a pretty much set-it-and-forget it affair until there's a major update to your phone (like a new major Android release), in which case you'd want to manually update it rather than take the OTA update.

Anyway, what the FLIP does any of this have to do with the sale price of the Galaxy Nexus on a Hot Deals thread? Seriously guys...

the cloud is useless for anyone that commutes via subway, or anywhere where there are sustained dead spots (like me...), and then spends most of their day in an office building that does its best to murder all wireless signals (like me...)

Especially with the death of unlimited data on most carriers, the lack of micoSD slots on newer phones really is a really fucking retarded decision on the part of most of the manufacturers these days......

You commute and work in the city and there's no wifi available? Not to mention you can simply connect the phone to pc and use the phone as the host and transfer till your heart is content. 16GB is also a shit ton of space for music I assume for someone working all day. Or do you plan to somehow got through that much music in under 8-10hrs while working?

I'm not twisting a single thing, early in the thread you proved you didn't really have a good handle on what you were talking about, and when I tried to help you out and explain things to you, you got your feelings hurt and started crying about it (post 24, in response to post 21). Multiple other users chimed in and refuted your assertion that those who want community built ROMs on their Nexus just want playthings, and you still refuse to acknowledge the popular opinion

I didn't even notice your sig, but I guess you're such an insufferable presence that that sig has become your way of warning the world that you're an ignoramus and proud of it. Seriously, re-read the thread, and try to pinpoint where our discussion went off the rails.... hint, I'm not the one that responded to your informed technical reasoning with a juvenile attempt to belittle the other person for no good reason...

In the grown up world, we don't respond to someone that knows what they are talking about when we dont with insults and trolling.... especially when they prove us wrong so many times (and with others backing them up as well)

That bubble you live in sure must be comfortable....

Anyway, what the FLIP does any of this have to do with the sale price of the Galaxy Nexus on a Hot Deals thread? Seriously guys...

I tried to educate (up to post 21) and dispell FUD (nobody running a nexus should use custom ROMs BS), and got trolled (on post 24), and well... I'm just not used to blatant trolls on this forum, and so the proverbial don't feed the troll advice just didn't enter into my head... I do blame myself for that one I guess....

The fact that it only has 16GB is a valid complaint imo... I've got a 32GB microSD card on my EVO 3D, it cost $30, Newegg had one on sale today for $22. 16GB sounds like a lot but it really isn't if you load it up w/photos, videos, 8GB of music, etc etc. (for the sake of not having to constantly re-shuffle your collection, if nothing else, personally I like having most of my favorite music with me all the time).

I'm not saying it's unusable with 16GB, but microSD cards are so cheap (and constantly dropping in price) that it's silly not to include that imo, how much can it really add to the cost of the phone? At 'least when you're talking about other compromises like sealed batteries there's some advantages to the trade-off (you can pack a larger battery in a slimmer phone by sealing it in).

The Nexus' MTP method of transferring files to the phone is also slightly cumbersome imo... Only works well within Windows AFAIK and it makes it more troublesome to transfer stuff that isn't media, while the only upside is that the phone can still access internal memory while you're sync'ing stuff in. Blah... I'm glad HTC and others are keeping good old mass storage device capability around w/some of their ICS phones.

That's potentially one thing CM9 could address... ;)

You commute and work in the city and there's no wifi available? Not to mention you can simply connect the phone to pc and use the phone as the host and transfer till your heart is content. 16GB is also a shit ton of space for music I assume for someone working all day. Or do you plan to somehow got through that much music in under 8-10hrs while working?

Well... here in the NYC subways, there really is no wi-fi or internet access, and many of our skyscrapers are wireless signal murderers....

My music collection isn't 16GB, but the music + photos + videos + apps is much more than 16GB. For example, on my Vibrant, the internal 16GB holds my applications, their data, and my photos, and I'm using about 6GB on it. My SD card has my music and videos on it, and I'm using about 9GB on it.

I'm already over the 16GB limit on the nexus (not all 16 is usable, the OS uses some), and I also like to use my Vibrant as a USB drive in a pinch. Sure, I can just use a USB stick, but I, like many others, like the flexibility that using SD cards with our phones gives us.

Also, about me not being able to go through my entire collection in one work day, or commute... you're right.... but I want access to my entire collection, not just a subset. Theres a reason why apple make 160GB ipods, and why there are 32GB, and 64GB iphones.... not just power users want the extra space....

I'm not saying it's unusable with 16GB, but microSD cards are so cheap (and constantly dropping in price) that it's silly not to include that imo, how much can it really add to the cost of the phone? At 'least when you're talking about other compromises like sealed batteries there's some advantages to the trade-off (you can pack a larger battery in a slimmer phone by sealing it in).

The Nexus' MTP method of transferring files to the phone is also slightly cumbersome imo... Only works well within Windows AFAIK and it makes it more troublesome to transfer stuff that isn't media, while the only upside is that the phone can still access internal memory while you're sync'ing stuff in. Blah... I'm glad HTC and others are keeping good old mass storage device capability around w/some of their ICS phones.

That's potentially one thing CM9 could address... ;)

The theory is that manufacturers aren't putting them in because of pressure from the telecom companies who want people to stream media and demand more data (of course, for more money!). Just a theory though... but yea, removing SD is a huge step back, in almost everyone's eyes....

And yea I agree, MTP blows in its current Nexus incarnation.... I personally wouldn't mind the Nexus having MTP for its internal memory, while enabling mass storage for the SD card... but the current MTP + internal memory only configuration has been a deal breaker for me and many others...

Also, about me not being able to go through my entire collection in one work day, or commute... you're right.... but I want access to my entire collection, not just a subset. Theres a reason why apple make 160GB ipods, and why there are 32GB, and 64GB iphones.... not just power users want the extra space....

yeah, i still dont understand needing to have all 100+ Gb of music on you all the time, those ipods are an enormous waste of money to me. even 8Gb is more music than I can listen to in a day and I am at a computer all day long, so I can always jack it into USB and swap out, not to mention our office has it's own WiFi network I can get to my entire collection over Google Music on the cloud. I can do all of that without any wireless data, WiFi only.

I know 2 friends who are hardcore Android users, who've owned multiple phones and rooted every single one, and live on the bleeding edge, and now own a Nexus. They rooted their phone but are running the stock image, after having tried the various Nexus rom's floating around on XDA. Fact is the actual differences are rather minor, except for stuff like extended settings which is a personal preference. The phone runs just as fast and smooth, its not worth the hassle. I've been in the exact same position, asking them why they don't get the latest CM9 (which *I* can't run because of course its not stable on anything but the Nexus) and getting annoyed, their reply is a big 'meh'.

I have an Evo 4G and have tried nearly every rom, and I've settled on what I like best, and no longer update my phone every week or even every 2-3 days.

There's a certain peace of mind not having to check XDA daily for the latest roms and tweaks and playing with settings.

No office wi-fi here... we're all wired, network security and all that BS.... And don't make the same mistake bastage made, just because you don't see a need for it doesn't mean there isn't a need.... the lack of storage is a huge, huge drawback for many people, especially those of us who want to hear any random song at any given moment, without swapping songs via USB.

I agree, I can't go through more than a gig or 2 of music in a given day, but I sure as hell don't want to have the desire to listen to a particular song or album in my collection at a random point in the day and then not be able to because my phone doesn't have much memory..

edit: just remembered, these things can take 8MP pictures, and record 1080p video as well.... a fixed amount of space, at such a low point, is definitely a dealbreaker for me. I recall my girlfriend being somewhere and desperately wanting to take a picture but her Nexus S ran out of memory at that moment and wouldn't take the picture...

The theory is that manufacturers aren't putting them in because of pressure from the telecom companies who want people to stream media and demand more data (of course, for more money!). Just a theory though... but yea, removing SD is a huge step back, in almost everyone's eyes....

And yea I agree, MTP blows in its current Nexus incarnation.... I personally wouldn't mind the Nexus having MTP for its internal memory, while enabling mass storage for the SD card... but the current MTP + internal memory only configuration has been a deal breaker for me and many others...

I think that's more of a conspiracy theory than anything, heh... I'm not sure carriers really want everyone streaming everything left and right, they keep putting in bandwidth caps and whatnot. It's not like the vast majority of people are gonna pay for higher capacity data plans, AT&T didn't even offer such a thing for a year after it put in it's initial caps.

Frankly I think they'd be just as happy if no one's data use increased for the next 10 years, saves them the hassle of improving the networks and they can keep raking in the profits (well, at 'least the two biggest ones can).

MTP was a deal breaker for me too... I tried transferring a video to my tablet before a flight the other day and it wouldn't go, rather than mess w/it I just took the microSD card out, slapped it on a reader, slipped it back into the tablet, and the video played back perfectly. MTP's just getting in the way for a lot of things, and it doesn't account for a lot of other usages outside of media.

I think I read the HTC One just uses standard USB mass storage drives like most phones 'till now, and the EVO 4G LTE (what a terrible name) does the same for it's internal and external storage, while also running ICS. Hopefully other manufacturers follow suit...

yeah, i still dont understand needing to have all 100+ Gb of music on you all the time, those ipods are an enormous waste of money to me. even 8Gb is more music than I can listen to in a day and I am at a computer all day long, so I can always jack it into USB and swap out, not to mention our office has it's own WiFi network I can get to my entire collection over Google Music on the cloud. I can do all of that without any wireless data, WiFi only.

you != everyone

Seriously, the better parts about Android are customer choice... If I wanted to abdicate that and fit my usage into one pre-determined mold I'd get an iPhone. ;) Some people simply like having most of their core collection w/them at all times, whether you can understand it or not.

Maybe it bothers them to have to hook up the phone or reach out to the cloud periodically to shuffle the collection. Maybe they like having it all so they can use it as a jukebox at parties and gatherings, whatever the case, they just do.

The cloud isn't the answer to everything and not everyone lives and works near WiFi all the time. Wifi at my college is particularly poor for instance, I spend more time tethered to my phone from my laptop or tablet than I spend on the university WiFi.

I still use streaming services as well, occasionally I wanna hear new stuff so I put up Pandora, it works well on a moving car even w/crappy sub-0.5MB 3G... But my carefully ripped CDs and even online-bought music still sounds better than most streams, whether phone or satellite (for all it's praise, Sirius uses some seriously low bitrates for it's streaming, last I checked).

I know 2 friends who are hardcore Android users, who've owned multiple phones and rooted every single one, and live on the bleeding edge, and now own a Nexus. They rooted their phone but are running the stock image, after having tried the various Nexus rom's floating around on XDA. Fact is the actual differences are rather minor, except for stuff like extended settings which is a personal preference. The phone runs just as fast and smooth, its not worth the hassle. I've been in the exact same position, asking them why they don't get the latest CM9 (which *I* can't run because of course its not stable on anything but the Nexus) and getting annoyed, their reply is a big 'meh'.

I have an Evo 4G and have tried nearly every rom, and I've settled on what I like best, and no longer update my phone every week or even every 2-3 days.

There's a certain peace of mind not having to check XDA daily for the latest roms and tweaks and playing with settings.

The current Nexus is a special case tho... CM9 is far from final, it's barely in beta no? And ICS absorbed a lot of the things that previously made CM a great improvement upon stock AOSP. Eventually CM will bring forth a host of other improvements tho. The discussion in this thread seemed to verge on CM/Nexus phones in general, rather than ICS/Galaxy Nexus, even tho that's what the thread is originally about... I think it's hopeless at this point tho.

$439 for an unlocked isn't even that great a deal anyway... $450-600 is what unlocked phones typically cost straight from the carrier anyway, only upshot here is that no GSM carrier has released the Nexus in the US yet because we're a backwards country that heve let the carriers run rod-shod over the consumer. :eek:

@brucedeluxe169 - If I was insulting you & trolling then why didn't you follow the forum rules & report the post? Oh wait.. Is it because you are the one trolling.. You make it sound like a custom rom is needed for everyone because of all these extra features.. Well fact is that the extra features gained in most stock roms do nothing for 98% of smart phone users. Otherwise they wouldn't be extra features as the manufacturers would include them.

@Impulse - I know all too well what the features of CM are. I still have to flash my wifes phone (vibrant) on a regular basis. I was just trying to get brucedeluxe169 to find a feature that effects the every day user.

@brucedeluxe169 - If I was insulting you & trolling then why didn't you follow the forum rules & report the post? Oh wait.. Is it because you are the one trolling.. You make it sound like a custom rom is needed for everyone because of all these extra features.. Well fact is that the extra features gained in most stock roms do nothing for 98% of smart phone users. Otherwise they wouldn't be extra features as the manufacturers would include them.

@Impulse - I know all too well what the features of CM are. I still have to flash my wifes phone (vibrant) on a regular basis. I was just trying to get brucedeluxe169 to find a feature that effects the every day user.

Nowhere did I say or even try to persuade anyone, that a custom ROM is needed for everyone, I simply refuted your assertion that there is no reason to run a custom ROM on a Nexus device... and like I said, until you trolled me in the posts I referenced, there wasn't a hint a nastiness in this thread (remember, the trolling didn't start until #24, until then I was actively trying to explain things to you that you didn't understand....)

Without even trying, seriously, at all, I know everyone that uses CM loves the volume rocker for music track control, the ability to toggle mass storage and MTP, the notification bar shortcuts, and the specific activity volume controls. Hell, the volume rocker control and the volume controls I mentioned before, but your rose colored glasses prevented you from seeing that as well....

And I'm not sure why you have the need to flash your wife's Vibrant on a daily basis, either just use a stable released 7.2 ROM, or any of the newest nightlies for CM9... They are completely stable, and I for one don't plan on flashing my phone more than once a month, if that (only if there is a massive new feature or improvement).....

Your absolutist views and juvenile way of dealing with an attempted debate makes arguing with you a senseless activity....

Your sig suits you... I pity the other poor fools that tried to engage in conversation with you.....

And I'm not sure why you have the need to flash your wife's Vibrant on a daily basis,

This is exactly the kind of twisting I was referring to.. When did I say I had to flash my wife's vibrant on a daily basis?

So this again reiterates my recommendation of you learning to read..

This is exactly the kind of twisting I was referring to.. When did I say I had to flash my wife's vibrant on a daily basis?

So this again reiterates my recommendation of you learning to read..

Ok, typo on my part, for that one thing.... point still stands, how "regular" are we talking?

Even still, have an explanation for your bitch attack on post 24?

Ok, typo on my part, for that one thing.... point still stands, how "regular" are we talking?

Even still, have an explanation for your bitch attack on post 24?

Lmao. Your pretty but hurt about that eh? Anyhow it was in pain English. Sorry for offending, but it was the truth.

I mentioned like a dozen things that would affect the every day user... Are they gonna drastically impact what someone can do w/a phone? Nah not really, but they do make the phone a lot nicer to use. I guess we're just arguing semantics at some point tho.

Slide-to-clear notifications was like a godsend for me... :p

Lmao. Your pretty but hurt about that eh? Anyhow it was in pain English. Sorry for offending, but it was the truth.

Not hurt, just surprised, didn't know kids get so worked up over being taught something these days.... And your PMS post 24 wasn't truth at all, everything I said in post 21 was technically correct, your freak out response doesn't qualify as "truth"

Back