GSKILL 3200C14 issues with AMD 5950X and ROG Crosshair VIII Impact?

djt01

n00b
I just swapped out a 3950X for a 5950X on an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Impact (BIOS 3601) over the weekend. The 3950X has been running without any issues with GSKILL F4-3200C14-32GTZN RAM using the D.O.C.P Standard setting in BIOS, everything else was default.

After I installed the 5950X I cleared the CMOS and booted up and used the D.O.C.P Standard setting again and now I can’t even install Windows without the system crashing. I’ve tried to set the memory timing’s manually and increased the DRAM voltage, but nothing works. The only way so far to successfully install Windows is to set Ai Overclock Tuner to Auto and set the memory Frequency to DDR4-2666MHz (it even crashes at 3000MHz), which is ridiculous.

Soc voltage and vddg voltage. And always install windows with non oc settings imo.

Soc voltage and vddg voltage. And always install windows with non oc settings imo.
Any suggestions as to what they should be set to?

I tried increasing the Soc voltage last night after seeing a suggestion in another forum, but it didn’t help the problem.

arnemetis might be able to help.
Thanks for the response, once we start getting into VDDSOC, VDDG Voltage I’m clueless, lol.

I’m perplexed that this memory ran fine at the D.O.C.P. default settings with the 3950X but not with the 5950X?

Ahh yes me, I have a similar setup. I have the dark hero, and this ram - https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374101

I am running a higher speed than you, so my adjustments were to account for that. You should not need as much of a boost. Remember every chip is different, it's possible your cpu has a bit of an infinity fabric speed hole at 3200mhz, but that would be unusual. The differences of AGESA code etc, bring back memories of me running my athlon 64 3200+ at 580mhz ddr no problem, but my 3700+ struggled to get 550mhz stable. The important part here is you have identified that the chip is the difference, so we need to adjust for that.

1) Set the ram voltage manually, and if needed run it up a bit to account for voltage drops. Mine undervolts the ram by about 0.18v. probably no need to give your ram extra juice as you're trying to run rated speeds and timings.
2) I found running my soc voltage at 1.18v worked for me, where I started with 1.10v and then tried 1.15v but still got silent correctable whea errors. I never got windows install halting errors. As you're running 3200mhz, you might try undervolting this a little bit too if adding doesn't help, that helps in some cases, by 0.05v and then try 0.10v. If the undervolt is going to help, you will notice it sooner than later.
3) The vddg ccd voltage was the last one I messed with, and it was the last piece I needed to be fully error free. It mostly helps out the infinity fabric at high speeds, so you shouldn't need much here. I locked mine in at 1.05v. Again in your case of 3200mhz, you might need to undervolt it just a tad.
edit: clarified some typos.

Last edited:
Ahh yes me, I have a similar setup. I have the dark hero, and this ram - https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374101

I am running a higher speed than you, so my adjustments were to account for that. You should not need as much of a boost. Remember every chip is different, it's possible your cpu has a bit of an infinity fabric speed hole at 3200mhz, but that would be unusual. The differences of AGESA code etc, bring back memories of me running my athlon 64 3200+ at 580mhz ddr no problem, but my 3700+ struggled to get 550mhz stable. The important part here is you have identified that the chip is the difference, so we need to adjust for that.

1) Set the ram voltage manually, and if needed run it up a bit to account for voltage drops. Mine undervolts the ram by about 0.18v. probably no need to give your ram extra juice as you're trying to run rated speeds and timings.
2) I found running my soc voltage at 1.18v worked for me, where I started with 1.10v and then tried 1.15v but still got silent correctable whea errors. I never got windows install halting errors. As you're running 3200mhz, you might try undervolting this a little bit too if adding doesn't help, that helps in some cases, by 0.05v and then try 0.10v. If the undervolt is going to help, you will notice it sooner than later.
3) The vddg ccd voltage was the last one I messed with, and it was the last piece I needed to be fully error free. It mostly helps out the infinity fabric at high speeds, so you shouldn't need much here. I locked mine in at 1.05v. Again in your case of 3200mhz, you might need to undervolt it just a tad.
edit: clarified some typos.
Thank you for the help, when you say soc voltage at 1.18v are you talking about the VDDSOC Voltage Override?

I had a similar problem with 4x8GB sticks not being able to post over 2133.
Resetting the BIOS a second time and loading optimized defaults seems to be what fixed it with it now happy at 4000c15.

Also try reseating the RAM.

Thank you for the help, when you say soc voltage at 1.18v are you talking about the VDDSOC Voltage Override?
Nope, see screenshot below I found online. I changed it from auto to 1.18v. Again it is unlikely you will need that much.
1625851649104.png

Back