GRUB/Linux/Windows/Partition: I've messed things up

Ok so I only have a 40GB HD and I was looking for some extra space. I had Linux (FC3) and WinXP installed, as well as GRUB. I used the Computer Management tool in Windows (in Control Panel>Admin Tools>Comp Management) to delete the Linux partition to free up some space.

Little did I know this screwed up GRUB when I rebooted, which ironicly means I cannot get into Windows.

Help would be appreciated. :D
Thanks.

boot off your XP install CD. Go to a recovery console. "fixboot" and/or "fixmbr" (I think one might be redundant there)

Sigh.

Now I have another problem. When I goto the recovery console, it asks for the admin password. I type in my admin password and it promts: "Password Incorrect, Used 1 attempt out of 3"
Now I'm the only one who uses that machine, and I reformated just back in September. I'm the only admin and my password doesn't work.

Anyone know the problem?

there are a few tools out the like ntpasswd that are linux based and reset the password to what you want
or if you have a win2k disk use it to get to the recovery console it should not ask for an admin password
and with the admin password set blank in xp, the recovery console doesnt always like that so its good to set it to something

Try pressing enter when it asks you for your password. Also, are you sure that the password you're using is for the Administrator account, and not your "admin" account?

Back