group policy

Rugeroni

Limp Gawd
ok i am a admin of a network and we have one user who is taking advantage of there internet, pretty much just sitting there surfing the web and stuff. how can i just make her account on the domain controller look for a proxy because on her pc she figure out how to change that, or just kill her ie all together either way i need to kill her internet but she needs to work over the odbc. its server 2000 with exchange 2000 thanks for any replies.

I would just kill her IE.... Don't mess around with something like that. If the net distracts her from her work then yank access to it.

i am not the one to fire or hire or trust me she would be toast. but how do you kill her ie? i dont know of a way to do something like that without doing it network wide. maybe there is something i can do just on her pc???

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Show_FullURL"="no"
"Show_ToolBar"="no"
"Show_URLToolBar"="no"
"Start Page"="about:blank"
"Show_StatusBar"="no"
"Show_URLinStatusBar"="no"

There's more, but that should pretty much stop her from being able to do anything in IE... Does she only use 1 PC? change the reg settings in just her computer....

next thing is if anyone logs in on that pc will it effect them? i am guessing it wont but just double checking i am just going to make a backup so if i need to i can bring it back. but thanks man for your time.

Rugeroni said:
i am not the one to fire or hire or trust me she would be toast. but how do you kill her ie? i dont know of a way to do something like that without doing it network wide. maybe there is something i can do just on her pc???
Well, let me put this another way. GIven that you are not the person to hire or fire her, then you are very likely not in a position to make any changes on your own to her account ( without higher up approval ). Given the nature of this problem, they ( higher ups ) would very likely want to know if a staff member is slacking off.

Unless this would be the higher up themself. In which case, any attempt to modify IE or block them from the internet would be a bad thing.

I guess what I am saying is, if you don't have the power to fire her, then you probably don't have the power to fudge up her browser either.

XOR != OR said:
Well, let me put this another way. GIven that you are not the person to hire or fire her, then you are very likely not in a position to make any changes on your own to her account ( without higher up approval ). Given the nature of this problem, they ( higher ups ) would very likely want to know if a staff member is slacking off.

Unless this would be the higher up themself. In which case, any attempt to modify IE or block them from the internet would be a bad thing.

I guess what I am saying is, if you don't have the power to fire her, then you probably don't have the power to fudge up her browser either.

I was thinking the same thing. On a side note, the registry keys listed above will either effect only the user logged in, which would be yourself, or the entire machine for all user. So either way it's not really what you are looking for. To really screw up her IE you would have to run regedit with her logged in and even then the items could effect the entire computer anyway. I'm thinking you should get with her supervisor about this one, it's part of their job to handle things like this.

Back