Group Policy: loopback processing

Wiseguy2001

2[H]4U
As the title says im having trouble getting loopback processing to work (on windows08), it (group policy modelling) is applying the computer config but not the user config of the GPO. What I am trying to do is apply some user settings (set the desktop pic) to a group of computers, to do this I am enabled gp loopback and set it to merge. I have then changed the scope by removing the authenticated user and adding the group that contains the computers. I don't see what I am missing, it looks simple on paper.

PS: Apologies if I haven't made myself crystal clear I have been stuck at this for hours and it is nearly 3am.

What I didn't see in your description is who has precedence? If the loopback GPO is applying before the user's GPO, then they'll get their own desktop image ( in merge mode ).

Do a GPO check on the user through users and computers and look at the precedence, then adjust accordingly.

If I'm not mistaken, setting the desktop backgroup is a user policy. It won't work if you just apply it to a group of computers, you need to apply to a group of users.

If I'm not mistaken, setting the desktop backgroup is a user policy. It won't work if you just apply it to a group of computers, you need to apply to a group of users.

Unless your using loopback policy processing. Which applys to any user thats logs into the computer the gpo is linked to. Run the group policy result wizard. It should give you a good idea of whats applied and what's not.

I'm pretty sure authenticated users (or some type of user group) still have to have read rights to the policy, otherwise I don't think the user portion will apply. You're applying the policy to an OU that just contains workstations right or are you applying this at a higher level?

I'd have to look at some of the policies and make sure that's how I did it, but I think it is off the top my head.

Back