Greatest Game Ever

Zxcs said:
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Absolutely the best game ever made. So great that I even ended up looking through a Japanese music store for an hour in Tokyo just to find the limited edition soundtrack.

No way. MGS 2 sucked so much...it was so short, and the cutscenes were far too long. I agree the music was something to listen to, but the game itself was terrible.

AND RAIDEN!! UGH! :mad:

LuminaryJanitor said:
You're both right. FPSs wouldn't be the same today without Doom, and Doom wouldn't be there without Wolf3D. Both were huge steps forward for the genre (ever play Catacomb Abyss?).

I still disagree...Wolf3D was the first FPS to get people's attention, but it was DOOM that really made people listen closely.

DoomRulz said:
I still disagree...Wolf3D was the first FPS to get people's attention, but it was DOOM that really made people listen closely.

Wolf3d established the FPS genre, but Doom was the one that finally offered detail to those flat plain textures.

I honestly don't now what i'd consider to be the greatest game as there are just too many great ones that I love.

junehhan said:
Wolf3d established the FPS genre, but Doom was the one that finally offered detail to those flat plain textures.

I honestly don't now what i'd consider to be the greatest game as there are just too many great ones that I love.

Well if it's any help: your top 5/games that impacted you in any way. ;)

wrangler said:
Another vote for Deus Ex

add me to the list as well. Deus Ex is the best single player game ever imo.

Nothing else consumed my life like Counter-strike did. Best multiplayer game out there...

Gran Turismo 3 for PS2. My only reason for buying a PS2.

NES :
Faxanadu
Zelda 1 and 2
The Black Bass

SNES :
Zelda : Link to the past
Super Mario RPG
Mystic Quest

PC :
Curse of Monkey Island
DOOM series
Half Life 1

Oh good memories...

Ocarina of Time,
FF7,
Goldeneye (N64)...
Halflife..

So many great games.

Super Mario 3, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye (N64), and Counter-Strike of course

FPS: Jedi Knight Outcast
SImulation: Janes 688i
RPG: Baldur's Gate II
RTS: Master of Magic
Tactical Shooter:Ghost Recon

Pepiz said:
Super Mario 3, Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye (N64), and Counter-Strike of course

I agree with on Ocarina and goldeneye, but not CS :p
I believe the orginal zelda for NES ruled

There are way too many good PC Games, let alone video games in general just to pick one. So here's a categorized list of my favorite games. I'm sure I'll come back to edit this when I realized I missed something.

Adventure

Day of the Tentacle - My first adventure game, it came with our computer. It had some kooky characters and a hilarious story.

Grim Fandango - Too bad this came at the end of the adventure era, it was a really unique and awesome game.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - This was another that came with our first computer. Fun game.

FPS

Deus Ex - Not just an FPS but a FPS/RPG hybrid with an incredible story and fun gameplay. One of the few games I've gone back to beat several times. I even went through once for each ending (No cheating and saving before the fork). Too bad Invisible War was mediocre. If I had to pick this would be #1.

Doom - For getting the ball rolling. I know Wolf3D was the first true FPS, but Doom brought it to the mainstream.IDKFA

Duke Nukem 3D - Had to love it if solely for the awesome one-liners.

Star Wars Dark Forces - Star Wars + FPS = Awesome. I really liked the story and gameplay in the first game, even though there were no lightsabers. Kyle Katarn was truly a badass in Dark Forces, before turning in to a geezer in the later games.

RPG

Baldur's Gate Series - Classic D&D for the PC at its finest.

Elder Scrolls Series - Daggerfall was one of my first real computer games and boy was it big. I invested many hours into Morrowind as well, I really enjoyed the main story arc. Oblivion is cool, but I can't quite get into it as much as Daggerfall or Morrowind.

Fallout Series - My favorite series of RPGs. Definitely the coolest setting, plot, and characters for an RPG.

Strategy

Command & Conquer - I really liked the Tiberium story on top of the awesome gameplay. I loved how NOD and GDI were distinctly different, NOD being sneaky and GDI just having brute force.

Heroes of Might and Magic III - Holy awesome I wasted so much time playing this game. Beating my brother in hotseat was a blast.

Starcraft - I don't really need to explain Starcraft do I? They need to make a sequel pronto! I never could get into Warcraft though.

Simulation

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - Exotic car racing and police chases made this game awesome.

SimCity Series - Not much to say here.

SimTower - Who knew building a skyscraper could be this challenging and fun?

Space Combat

Freelancer - Captured some of the fun of the old school games. Some of the mods were really cool, for the Star Wars ships mostly.

FreeSpace Series - Really neat series. Lots of awesome battles.

Terminal Velocity - One of the first space combat sims I played. Sweet DOS glory.

Star Wars: Rebel Assault - Not sure if this counts since it was on rails, but it sure was a blast to play.

Star Wars: TIE Fighter - 'Nuff said.

Sonic and HALO- First game to ever play online and system link with my friends at house partys or the internet. Best days of my life :D :D :D

definately The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. in its day it looked magnificent, it has one of the most compelling stories i've ever heard, and its gameplay is the most fun and diverse of any game i've ever played. windwaker comes in a close second and maybe FF Tactics for 3rd

HL2, period, end of story.

Honerable mention to Super Mario 3 for NES and Super Mario 64.

time to lock this one up :p

There are too many games to really list, so I'll mention the one game I still have fun with to this very day because of all the mods available. That would be the original Unreal Tournament. The gameplay dynamics, the music, the maps, everything about the game still impresses me as much as it did way back in the day when it first came out!

I could also say the same about the original Unreal as well!

Chrono Trigger. It was the very first RPG I ever played in my life and I loved that game to death, still do actually. :p

How about Dark Reign
It was the first game where you had to work as team up to 6 on 6
and the way it was set up almost no hacking straight kill your enemy

Got me into online gamming and building PC's

some one else had to play ?

Quite honestly, I would have to make two choices.

Planescape:Torment (ok, its kinda cool to have a succubi as a cleric and a talking skull as your first party NPC, ya know?)

Warhammer: Dawn of war (I got it the day it came out, a lil less than 2 years ago, it hasn't left my harddrive, and I complete the original campaign and the Winter assault one at least once a month. I would give a nut for them to hurry up and release the 2nd expansion, especially after playing the Necron and Tau mods the players have made. The best RTS game I have ever played.)

Having finished Max Payne / 2 in the last two days (MP1 in one marathon 10-hour session...) I have to say they definitely deserve a mention here. Length of the games notwithstanding, both are as close to perfect in every aspect as anything I've ever seen - gameplay, controls, level design, story, sound, music, voice acting, graphics (for the time, though the second one still looks great, and the first one has aged pretty well) were all nearly flawless.

Half Life - why? because of Counterstrike and Day of Defeat

BF1942 was a great game was hoping for future BF franchise games to be an improvement, sadly that wasnt the case....

Another contender for best ever: DESCENT

Remember that one? Pseudo-flight sim with the trippy levels and 3D graphics? First game to ever feature a true 3D engine. Yes, even before Quake :cool:

Goldeneye 64, there was nothing like it at the time, and there never will be anything like it. I still get out my old N64 just to play Goldeneye and starfox.

-Proxy

Proxy said:
Goldeneye 64, there was nothing like it at the time, and there never will be anything like it. I still get out my old N64 just to play Goldeneye and starfox.
Yeah, still a lot of fun. That and Perfect Dark are the only shooters I've ever been able to enjoy on a console. The rest of them just feel so clumsy to me by comparison. I must've racked up thousands of hours between those two, and yet Far Cry, GRAW, Quake 4, Perfect Dark Zero and Call of Duty 2 combined, on a 105cm (41'') plasma HDTV, held my attention for less than fifteen minutes. FPSs are just that fucking shit on a console.

Starcraft: Brood War

The best, most balanced multiplayer experience ever. It also has an epic storyline and cinematics that hold their own to this day.

Back