Great job EVGA and GTX 780 - coming from 7970s.

WiL11o6

Limp Gawd
I went from crossfire 7970s to a single 7970 and I just recently picked up a EVGA GTX 780 ACX cooler. This was the first time a video card has wowed me since the 8800GTX series. The 7970s in crossfire did provide high FPS numbers, but there were constant FPS drops (demanding games), stutters, and lack of driver support for some games. A single 7970 wasn't enough to run some games on max settings and had a couple hiccups here and there, even on lowered settings. I had reference models and they were HOT and LOUD. They were able to OC up to 1100mhz, but with the increased voltage it ran really hot, hitting 85-90c easily with the fans sounding like jet engines.

Fast forward today, my 780 idles at 25c and gaming loads at 45-50c (vsync on). Benchmarking, it only hits just under 70c (overclocked) and it's nearly silent. The 780 under LOAD is the same as my 7970 at idle. The Nvidia drivers were painless, unlike AMDs. Overclocking was painless, it easily reached 1200mhz boost with stock voltages. In benchmarks like Unigines, 3dmark11, etc. It's almost as fast as my TWO 7970s in crossfire and doing it at 65c and almost silently. Granted my 7970s were stock speeds, this is still amazing from a single 780. Of course, if I had a custom cooler on the 7970, I would be able to OC it, but it's still nowhere as impressive as the 780. Yes, the 780 does cost more, but I would honestly have a single 780 than two 7970s given the choice after owning two 7970s for a year. Too many games have stuttering issues with crossfire.

Playing Bioshock on high settings, the 7970 was able to stay at 60FPS, most of the time, with the very occasional drop to 55 and back up during battles and such. However, these stutters takes away from the gameplay. I was able to ramp settings up to ultra on the 780 and it was so smooth. There were no drops and the whole gameplay experience felt different.

Oh yes, and the automatic overclocking, underclocking, is pretty ingenious. It helps lower temps which lowers fan noise. I was playing an older game and the GPU underclocked itself below stock clocks and was still able to play at a very smooth 60FPS with no drops.

Anyone on the fence between the two, it is definitely worth it. Good job with the 780 Nvidia, and great job on the ACX cooler EVGA.

You game at 1080p, yes? I basically did the opposite, went from a Titan to 2x7950 and now a 7990.

Single Titan wasn't enough at 2560x1600 for BioShock, with all the settings cranked it did not feel playable to me. Average FPS was in the 45-50 area. I moved to OC'd 7950s and that did the job, felt way smoother so I can't say I experienced any stuttering. However, th ey were very loud and hot. The 7990 I moved to runs cooler and is much quieter.

I can't say i notice any of the frame pacing issues with CF these days, as long as VSync is on. I did notice them back on my old 2x5870 setup.

Glad you are happy with the 780 though. If I was at 1080p that'd probably be my card of choice. Considered 780 SLI but it's more than I want to spend tbh, and I'm very happy with the 7990.

You game at 1080p, yes? I basically did the opposite, went from a Titan to 2x7950 and now a 7990.

Single Titan wasn't enough at 2560x1600 for BioShock, with all the settings cranked it did not feel playable to me. Average FPS was in the 45-50 area. I moved to OC'd 7950s and that did the job, felt way smoother so I can't say I experienced any stuttering. However, th ey were very loud and hot. The 7990 I moved to runs cooler and is much quieter.

I can't say i notice any of the frame pacing issues with CF these days, as long as VSync is on. I did notice them back on my old 2x5870 setup.

Glad you are happy with the 780 though. If I was at 1080p that'd probably be my card of choice. Considered 780 SLI but it's more than I want to spend tbh, and I'm very happy with the 7990.

why do you sound like you work for AMD?

why do you sound like you work for AMD?

Uh, what? If that was the case I wouldn't have said anything negative about AMD in my post. In fact I agree with the OP for the most part, I would get a 780 if I was on 1080p.

Why whenever someone posts a compliment one of the first things written is "Do you work for them???" That's so rude.

Why whenever someone posts a compliment one of the first things written is "Do you work for them???" That's so rude.
;)
You have to be suspicious these days.It's not like it doesn't happen.....alot.

I have to second the general opinion about the 780.
Great card.
stock coolers are remarkably quiet....(but watercooling is quieter....;) )

I like mine alot. I can easily overclock the pair....unlike my 7970s. simply can't be done easily unless you live within the confines of the CCC. Mine won't OC beyond CCC limits even with the new Afterburner abilities.

It's the new mindset now. Anyone complimenting a company is a shill, it's pretty silly. And you're correct, TroyX was being a jerk/rude.

;)
You have to be suspicious these days.It's not like it doesn't happen.....alot.

I have to second the general opinion about the 780.
Great card.
stock coolers are remarkably quiet....(but watercooling is quieter....;) )

I like mine alot. I can easily overclock the pair....unlike my 7970s. simply can't be done easily unless you live within the confines of the CCC. Mine won't OC beyond CCC limits even with the new Afterburner abilities.

U don't know how to turn ulps off ?

Uh, what? If that was the case I wouldn't have said anything negative about AMD in my post. In fact I agree with the OP for the most part, I would get a 780 if I was on 1080p.

WE HAVE A MOLE!

But it's okay, the OP clearly works for Nvidia.

Went from a 7950 clocked @1230/1666 to a 780 GTX @1200/1836. Cost 82% more and I am getting around 40% higher framerates. I wanted a powerful single card and got one. Was it worth it? I have no regrets but some may see the flaws. I can't believe how good this ACX cooler is, it rivals my Accelero 7970 and is 1/4 less in size!

One could get dual 7950's for as cheap as $479.98 (the powercolor ones with the reference horrible heatsink/fans are always on sale on newegg, as cheap at $239.99 AR) . I personally don't want to deal with Crossfire or SLI, but to each their own.

I went from crossfire 7970s to a single 7970 and I just recently picked up a EVGA GTX 780 ACX cooler. This was the first time a video card has wowed me since the 8800GTX series. The 7970s in crossfire did provide high FPS numbers, but there were constant FPS drops (demanding games), stutters, and lack of driver support for some games. A single 7970 wasn't enough to run some games on max settings and had a couple hiccups here and there, even on lowered settings. I had reference models and they were HOT and LOUD. They were able to OC up to 1100mhz, but with the increased voltage it ran really hot, hitting 85-90c easily with the fans sounding like jet engines.

Fast forward today, my 780 idles at 25c and gaming loads at 45-50c (vsync on). Benchmarking, it only hits just under 70c (overclocked) and it's nearly silent. The 780 under LOAD is the same as my 7970 at idle. The Nvidia drivers were painless, unlike AMDs. Overclocking was painless, it easily reached 1200mhz boost with stock voltages. In benchmarks like Unigines, 3dmark11, etc. It's almost as fast as my TWO 7970s in crossfire and doing it at 65c and almost silently. Granted my 7970s were stock speeds, this is still amazing from a single 780. Of course, if I had a custom cooler on the 7970, I would be able to OC it, but it's still nowhere as impressive as the 780. Yes, the 780 does cost more, but I would honestly have a single 780 than two 7970s given the choice after owning two 7970s for a year. Too many games have stuttering issues with crossfire.

Playing Bioshock on high settings, the 7970 was able to stay at 60FPS, most of the time, with the very occasional drop to 55 and back up during battles and such. However, these stutters takes away from the gameplay. I was able to ramp settings up to ultra on the 780 and it was so smooth. There were no drops and the whole gameplay experience felt different.

Oh yes, and the automatic overclocking, underclocking, is pretty ingenious. It helps lower temps which lowers fan noise. I was playing an older game and the GPU underclocked itself below stock clocks and was still able to play at a very smooth 60FPS with no drops.

Anyone on the fence between the two, it is definitely worth it. Good job with the 780 Nvidia, and great job on the ACX cooler EVGA.

Glad to hear that and you're not alone man :cool:

I don't understand how you can't max games at 1080 on a 7970. I actually pulled my 690 and replaced it with a 7970 -because- I can max games with the 7970 and not the 690. Admittedly these games are games that don't support xfire/sli. I play at 25x16 and have not run into anything that the 7970 can't max.

I don't understand how you can't max games at 1080 on a 7970. I actually pulled my 690 and replaced it with a 7970 -because- I can max games with the 7970 and not the 690. Admittedly these games are games that don't support xfire/sli. I play at 25x16 and have not run into anything that the 7970 can't max.

Both metros, crysis 2/3, bf3, just to name a few. There's a ton more games. Of course it cant max metro last light or crysis 3 at 1080p either lol.

veedubfreak said:

Exactly. I disable sli and crossfire when i play bf3. it has to done to stay competitive.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

I can't max out most games with a single 780 at 1080p. In fact, no card can, unless you turn down some settings (which doesn't equal maxed out).

I've been impressed with the acx cooler as well. I might switch to the lightning though, if it's worth it.

Love those new ACX coolers from EVGA, if I had the money, I'd switch to a 780 just so I don't have to run my fan >50% all the time when gaming.
I've been maxing out most games with my 7970, all except from what I've noticed, FF14: ARR with extreme settings.

Exactly. I disable sli and crossfire when i play bf3. it has to done to stay competitive.

With BF3 I can't tell a lick of difference between just running the one 780 or SLI. (2560x1440 @ 60Hz) How would SLI not make you competitive? What problems are you having?

With BF3 I can't tell a lick of difference between just running the one 780 or SLI. (2560x1440 @ 60Hz) How would SLI not make you competitive? What problems are you having?

I stopped playing on my 30 inch monitor and bought Asus VG248QE 144Hz. It is a night and day difference between 120Hz and 60Hz. Nevertheless BF3 is poorly optimized. Is your k/d above 3.0 and accuracy 25%? If not then you can't help me.:)

Forum needs more matrox fanboys.

I was using Ati Rage Fury Maxx :) swapped my s3 Virge and V2 setup (and I consider s3 Virge and voodoo 2 my most fun gtx setup :) )

And to the topic... Wanted to get 2nd 670, but I'm now tempted to sell my 670 instead and get 780. Waiting though for AMD release of 9x series. Should get prices down a bit or maybe AMD will give us another 9700 Pro epicness :)

I was using Ati Rage Fury Maxx :) swapped my s3 Virge and V2 setup (and I consider s3 Virge and voodoo 2 my most fun gtx setup :) )

And to the topic... Wanted to get 2nd 670, but I'm now tempted to sell my 670 instead and get 780. Waiting though for AMD release of 9x series. Should get prices down a bit or maybe AMD will give us another 9700 Pro epicness :)

Oh that would be the sh@t man. What about an ATI 9800 Pro :D

I went from crossfire unlocked 6950's to a singe gtx680. Except for the noise and heat output I miss my AMD cards a lot. Definitely regret "upgrading."

Well, I do miss my 7970s, but then again, I only game at 1080p and there are only a couple games that would need 7970s to stay above 60fps at all times. They were able to easily dish out 100fps, but when I need it to stay at a constant 60fps with vsync on, there would be a lot of stuttering in game. I can only name a couple games where the frames were seamlessly smooth, but most had some sort of stutter which takes away from the overall gameplay experience.

Two 7970s were definitely overkill for a single 1080p monitor, but the problem is that they weren't able to be consistently at 60fps without any drops. I am very sensitive to noise, so I couldn't OC them because any added voltage, even from 925mhz to 1025mhz yielded another +10c and I needed to ramp up fan speed. The noise doubled from stock. I suppose because I had reference coolers and not custom ones, that had an impact on my feelings towards the 7970s because I couldn't OC them. Maybe because I've never had a GPU with a custom cooler, this ACX cooler, combined with the underclocking, overclocking on the 780 is really impressive. In the old games, like SC2, it was running at 800mhz @ constant 60fps, keeping the temp at around 45c. That was my 7970 on idle temp! Even on full load 30min benchmarking, it would only hit 74c max and I could barely hear it.

That still doesn't change the fact that even though yes, in the more demanding games, the 7970s COULD hit my desired 60fps where a 780 might struggle, the 7970s had a lot of stutter. Well, I might be over exaggerating on the stutter, but there would be enough of that going on to annoy the heck out of me.

With the 7970s, before I bought a game, I had to ask myself, "Is this game gonna be a stuttering mess? If it is, can a single card handle it? Oh, wait. Why did I buy two of these if I am only going to use one of them to play? I'd rather not waste my money on this game if I can't use both my cards." I guess I am at more of a peace of mind now knowing that a 780 will pretty much run everything CLOSE to max. At least to a point where the graphics look like it's on max settings and I don't need to worry about drivers because I know Nvidia will deliver.

Last edited:

This is quite simply the most unusual post I've ever seen, anyone going from a single Nvidia card to AMD in crossfire never reports the same results as you. I'm a little baffled why you had trouble running Bioshock Infinite at 2560x1600 on a Titan when my GTX 780 runs it maxed out at 2560x1600 on my 30" monitor.

Last edited:
Having what I experienced from CF, I would rather much have had gotten two 670s, instead of two 7950s.

The hardware is great. Most people who have experience with both admit AMD's drivers are inferior.

Well, I do miss my 7970s, but then again, I only game at 1080p and there are only a couple games that would need 7970s to stay above 60fps at all times.
I like playing my solo games at 120fps VSYNC whenever possible. But my 680 doesn't allow that in Bioshock. It's far more demanding, since LightBoost has 92% less motion blur than 60Hz (see photos of 60Hz vs 120Hz vs LightBoost), to allow fast motion to be as clear as a CRT when running at 120fps@120Hz. Can't do this in Bioshock. However, I can do this in older Source-engine games.

Two 7970s were definitely overkill for a single 1080p monitor
Unless it's a 120hz monitor, and you want the full 120fps@120Hz experience with fewer framedrops, combined with CRT motion clarity (fast pans as fully clear as stationary images). However, LightBoost is an nVidia technology, so works best on nVidia products.

All fine and dandy at 1080P. Anything more than that and you need Crossfire/Sli for max settings. I run 2560x1440 and for the latest games I'm definitely glad to have 2 7970's to keep the framerate high. AMD drivers have been fine for me since I have had the cards. If there is microstutter, I don't notice it.

Well AMD is supposed to be releasing drivers in the next few days right? Let's hope that changes.... yeah right. And for the guy having problems with Bioshock Infinity with a Titan at 2560X1600.... Really? Was that before the driver fixes and updates? Because yes I was having horrible frame drops with my GTX660Ti's in SLI as well and then they fixed it. Stays pegged at 60 fps now.

Think I may upgrade to a single GTX780 and get a second when the next gen comes out, or sell it and get the next latest.

i dont think youre actually maxing than. i have 2 670s and can only play crysis 3 on high and a single 670 was not cutting it AT ALL @ 1440

I stopped playing on my 30 inch monitor and bought Asus VG248QE 144Hz. It is a night and day difference between 120Hz and 60Hz. Nevertheless BF3 is poorly optimized. Is your k/d above 3.0 and accuracy 25%? If not then you can't help me.:)

whatttt? bf3 is really well optimized. i dont think people know what that means. the game scales incredibly well with SLI

Well obviously using a 144Hz or 2D LB is going to provide a huge difference over a 60Hz IPS, but I was referring to you using just the one card as opposed to SLI. What is the benefit?

Also, BF3 is poorly optimized? Compared to what game? It's my understanding and experience that BF3 is actually optimized quite well.

Back