Great for DVD's on flights & travel, processing market charts quickly

facesnorth

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I am looking to purchase 2 different laptops, and I will create 2 different threads for opionions on each. They have similar needs, but one has a few extra needs than the other.

This one is for myself, and I think I have more needs than he does. I also have the need to process forex market charts on the road and in my home, as fast as possible.

However, in addition, I will want to use my laptop for watching DVD's while on flights, and on trips across the world. A nice sized screen and decent battery life, as well as weight will all be factors to consider for me.

I would also like plenty of storage, because I will store tons of FLAC music files which I would like to be able to listen to over headphones from my laptop.

Gaming will be a minor second. I am not a big gamer.

I do tend to simultaneously run lots of web browsers, my forex marketing software, several .pdf's, mp3's playing or perhaps a dvd playing, as well as gnutella based file sharing programs.

Cost is definitely an issue for me, but obviously my demands are high, and so I want to be made aware of the best options to suit my needs.

Please offer your suggestions. Thanks.

if you want to listen to FLAC music files make sure whatever laptop you choose has a good sound card. Or I suppose you can buy an after market card that fits into a open slot. I'm thinking an X-Fi minimum. No point in using FLAC if your onboard sound sucks.

if you want to listen to FLAC music files make sure whatever laptop you choose has a good sound card. Or I suppose you can buy an after market card that fits into a open slot. I'm thinking an X-Fi minimum. No point in using FLAC if your onboard sound sucks.

Good point, so add that to the list of requirements for this laptop. In fact, something else I failed to mention that I will be using this laptop for is as a music server for parties, after plugging into a powered amp.

Realistically under $2k total, however, I would be delighted if I could find something closer to $1k.

Back