Great experience with AsRock X99 Extreme 4 3.1

David-Duc

[H]ard|Gawd
Finished my upgrade with a 5820k, AsRock X99 Extreme 4 3.1 and 32 GB Crucial DDR4 2400. The AsRock is a great board overall.

First bootup with only small issue: doesn't recognize DEL keystrokes to enter bios using a USB keyboard, plug my PS2 key in and update the BIOS online directly from inside the BIOS, problem solved, great feature.

Has the X OC socket with extra pins. Currently running a mild OC @ 4.2Ghz with 1.150v core, 1.8v input, 1.0v uncore/cache @ 3.3Ghz. Passed all stress include Prime AVX2/FM3 with max temp of 83C. Zero issues so far. This is one of the best motherboard I've ever had (first AsRock) considering I've used 815, 845PE, KT400, 865PE, nForce 3&4, P965, P35, P45, P55, P67, Z87 and now, X99. Only 2 other boards that satisfied me after the first few days of use are the Z87-A and the P45-UD3P.

4.4Ghz is stable with Prime95 non-AVX, realbench (4 hours), AIDA (8 hours). Max temp 81C but seems like 4.2 is the sweet spot for my setup. Best part is VRM doesn't get hotter than 72C even at 4.4Ghz (measured with infrared thermometer gun).
24213836620_e30daf264e_b.jpg

Last edited:
nice. I keep hearing good things about Asrock. will consider them next time im building a pc.

My spare x79 board is an ASRock. Only thing wrong with it is that it suffers the crappy early USB 3.0 chipset that is pretty much true of all x58 and x79 boards with USB 3.0.

It overclocks almost as easy as my ASUS x79-Deluxe.

I also had an ASRock x58 board that is now in use in a family member's computer.

Sounds like their newer boards are better than they were when I was using them.

nice. I keep hearing good things about Asrock. will consider them next time im building a pc.

Yeah, this board feels as good as any Asus. Haven't had any experience with AsRock RMA but couldn't be worse than Asus, right? :D

How is the audio? Any memory issues? I keep reading the manuals instructions are wrong and it wont boot with them in the slots they tell you to put them in.

Also, you could not enter the bios without a PS/2 keyboard? If you don't have one then there is no other way to get into the bios to update it? That seems like a major issue.

On a side note, how are the fans on that LEPA? Amazon had it on sale recently and was happy to grab one for $60.

Last edited:
How is the audio? Any memory issues? I keep reading the manuals instructions are wrong and it wont boot with them in the slots they tell you to put them in.

Also, you could not enter the bios without a PS/2 keyboard? If you don't have one then there is no other way to get into the bios to update it? That seems like a major issue.

On a side note, how are the fans on that LEPA? Amazon had it on sale recently and was happy to grab one for $60.
First, the system boot right up when I started it with memory modules in slot A1 B1 C1 D1 (per the user's manual). Audio is working fine but other than that, nothing special since I already have my external sound card.

Second, PS/2 keyboards are cheap and widely available enough that I don't think that would be an issue. If I don't have and can't obtain a PS/2 keyboard, there's still an option to update the BIOS in Windows. USB keyboard works fine as soon as windows finished booting (with stock BIOS).

The fans come with the LEPA are worse than CM BladeMaster 120 PWM: they're quieter but also have worse airflow & static pressure. Since almost all CLCs are from just a few OEMs (Asetek, CoolIT...) and only CoolerMaster makes their own CLC, I think we basically got an H100i for $60 :D.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Going to get some Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans to replace those on the LEPA. Is the thermal paste they provide decent?

This is what I am going to build.
couple of questions to all.
Are any of the boards with sound blaster as good as a sound blaster card, positional audio and stuff like that?

What is that case?

The integrated audio sounds ok but nothing special about it. Still prefer my xfi hd usb instead. The case is fractal design R5 with all 5.25 bay removed.

Couple years on my Asrock Z87 pushing the CPU hard 24/7. No issues. Very stable. For the money they are hard to beat.

Update: tried an M2 SSD and while this is not the board's fault, the M2 slot position right under the video card slot caused the SSD to overheat & throttle due to the hot exhaust. If you're going to install a M2 SSD on this board, you'll need either a watercooled or blower styled VGA. My VGA is a Gigabyte 980 Ti G1.

M2 slot right under PCI-E slot:
http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products_xl/292437/asrock-x99-extreme431.jpg

M2 slot in a good position that won't be overheat because of the graphics card.:
http://i2.wp.com/pcdiy.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/X99-DELUXE-1.jpg

Man... it's unbelievable that I now might have to shell out way more $$$ for the X99-Deluxe just because of the M2 SSD.

Last edited:
I've been pleased with my formula oc x99 asrock. First gen board, no 3.1 usb.

If you run across the non detection of usb keyboard or mouse on post, I believe the option you are looking for is "Legacy USB 3.0 Support" ~~ should be an option for UEFI setup only"

The manual and overall easy to access forum support seems to be lacking a bit. Especially the manual.... a little more detail (or any at all in some cases) would be nice as to what some of these eighty million options do. Love it when the manual just explains a setting as "turns XYZ on or off" when really all we would like to know is WTF xyz does in the first place.

Got to admit bios flashing and initial driver downloading has come a LOOOONG way since the 80s.... I was a little stunned to see an option to automatically do these things in the bios.

As it relates to the M.2 slot, if you are running just the one GPU, can't you just move it to PCIE3 slot? Should still be a x16, and would uncover that m.2 a bit.

Last edited:
As it relates to the M.2 slot, if you are running just the one GPU, can't you just move it to PCIE3 slot? Should still me a x16, and would uncover that m.2 a bit.

I think you'll need a 40 lanes CPU to have x16 speed on the PCIE 3 slot according to AsRock:
*If you install CPU with 28 lanes, PCIE1/PCIE3/PCIE5 will run at x16/x8/x4.

Are the two black pipes direct aircooling? is this standard for this MOBO? CH largest PC assembler has it in stock beside the much more expensive extreme 11.
That makes it more trustful. Maybe they have already assembled.
6/3.1 has mini PCIe plus one more USB 3.1 A. but dont know what for is mini PCIe.

Last edited:
Ah yeah, I believe you are correct. However you may try moving the gpu anyway and see what type of difference it makes.... x16 compared to x8 may not be that big of a deal, and if it helps with the temps on the M.2, well, its cheaper than a new board for sure.

I've had good luck with Asrock going back to the Socket 939 days. I have an X58 Xtreme 3 going strong and just bought the Z170 Formula OC. I just started trying to find the best overclock for my 6700K, but right now it's stress testing 4.6GHz at 1.325 Vcore.

I think you'll need a 40 lanes CPU to have x16 speed on the PCIE 3 slot according to AsRock:

I have the same motherboard, You can set in the bios the speeds of each lane according to your CPU. so if you only have 28 lanes, you could theoretically put 16 on the third pcie and turn off the rest. bios 1.30

When I first started using ASRock they sucked lol Recently I built an ITX build and I chose the ASRock to the availability and the time. I couldn't more pleased. Fantastic board

This is good to hear. Hope the ASRock X99M that I chose for my new 5820K build is problem free.

Thanks for the recommendation David-Duc. Going to give this board a shot.

i ended up buying this motherboard. It's pretty good, but could be better.

the M2 seems to be directly under the 1st PCIE, samsungs 950 already have overheating problems so I think that would be even worse.

there is a power plug right above the PCIE too which is such an awkward spot, cannot get the power plug there and have it look decent (as in cable management).

the pre-set OC profiles are pretty good. I tried ocing my 5930k manually and it didnt work too great, but ASrocks 4.4ghz profile is 100% stable and works well, so I left it at that.

I do wish the USB 3.1 was a part of the mobo though. and another USB header would have been nice, I can't connect my 2nd Corsair LINK from my AX1200i and my H115i water cooler link at the same time, 1 more USB header and I could.

overall I think its pretty good! a few tweaks and it would be great.

Just chiming in that I've had excellent luck with Asrock boards in the past, I'm still using two of them in my main x79 rigs (x79 Extreme 4-m and X79 Extreme 3). I was also impressed with their RMA process a few years back, my first Extreme 4-m had a catastrophic cap failure (an electrolytic near the socket blew up, hard enough to dent the mosfet heatsink) and they replaced it quickly and easily. I've been thinking about upgrading to x99, just not sure if the improved ipc is worth the cost.

I've got three asrock systems in the house right now.

P67 extreme 6 and 2700k
X99 extreme 4 and 5820k (wife's editing machine)
Z170 pro4 and 6700k - new gamer

They are all fantastic boards, fell in love with the company with the extreme 6. Probably the most expensive board I'll ever have bought ;)

I've got three asrock systems in the house right now.

P67 extreme 6 and 2700k
X99 extreme 4 and 5820k (wife's editing machine)
Z170 pro4 and 6700k - new gamer

They are all fantastic boards, fell in love with the company with the extreme 6. Probably the most expensive board I'll ever have bought ;)

Also here! And usually the extreme series they carry a lot of stuff and most of the times at similar price of boards that have half of the features.

I bought the z170 extreme4 from Microcenter for 105$ brand new with a 30$ mail in rebate. So for a total of 85$, the extreme4 is a bad ass board. ASRock gets my vote. Good stuff they put out for not a lot of money.

Newegg wants 149.99 for it. And the hassle of shipping. Yeah no thanks. I walked in and out of Microcenter with the board in my hand. Don't ever go under Microcenter!

Back