Graven - Hexen Spiritual Successor Announced by 3D Realms

I have mixed feelings about this. I love that they're doing something like this. The Heretic and Hexen games were great. Yet, it's ugly as sin. Throwback 3D games don't have the charm that pixel graphics do. Plus, those old games were cutting edge at the time. Why not follow their lead and make a game that looks cutting edge now? Even if I have fun with this, I'm going to wish it looked better the whole time. It's like the Nintendo conundrum all over again.

^ I had this exact feeling trying to play SWTOR couldnt get over the clunkiness of the skills and the bad graphics

The advantage of making a game like this now though, is that like pixel graphics, it costs way less resources to produce - especially in comparison with if they wanted to make this game AAA.

For me there are various grades to this sort of thing. I would rather see this running on the Doom 2016-Eternal id Tech engines, but I think this could also have a certain charm to it if they do it well. I've enjoyed some throwback shooters lately. Amid Evil has a very retro-Hexen/Heretic style to it, but actually includes RTX lighting features. It also plays like Hexen 2 more or less. I'd definitely toss this in the "we'll see" pile. Might be fun.

Honestly though, if Witchfire doesn't get derailed play-wise, that might be a better "spiritual successor" :D

^ I had this exact feeling trying to play SWTOR couldnt get over the clunkiness of the skills and the bad graphics

I've run into this a few times. From the appearance of the video above, the controls look responsive at least.

I still play System Shock though, so... :D

Aw man Hexen, what a throwback!! Hopefully they can work out some kinks during the Early Access phase...

Back