Graphics corruption only on startup, then goes away.

Borgschulze

2[H]4U
So I have been having this weird issue lately.

Computer boots into Windows 10... login screen has corruption along the bottom only... then when I login the taskbar is corrupted.

Then it goes away shortly after.

I've tried new drivers, checked my DP cable, re-seated the video card.

I have no idea what is causing it.

Anyone ever had this issue?

Specs in signature.

Attachments

• 89979529_2600295490097435_5547762213466406912_n.jpg
    89979529_2600295490097435_5547762213466406912_n.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 0
Probably a cold solder joint on part of the VRAM. Once it warms up it makes good contact.
Does it happen after a warm reboot, though?

I think I'd try a fresh install of Windows on a spare SSD and see if it happens there.

Me thinks RMA time as that looks like hardware related to me......If i had to guess it will get worse in time. (Vram Failing).
Matter of fact i bet the hole problem with the task bar goes away with no driver installed (cause the card isnt really being used)

Games work? Have you tried another monitor?
I have never seen a gpu that's bad work though a game ..could be something with the psu, mb you name it.

Entire system is 3 months old, video card is 4 months.

Games work fine.

Windows install is also 3 months old.

Only does it when the PC is cold (been off all night/day)

It might actually be the DP cable... though I have re-seated the video card, and the cable in the past.

I doubt it's the monitor, I'll try and screenshot it next time it happens.

It's weird that it's only the bottom portion of the screen, and it doesn't do it in the BIOS, only when I get to the login screen and within Windows. Or rather, into full 1080P.

I've tried multiple drivers too.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to tell exactly in the picture but could it be an overlay issue? Looks like you have a big windows clock thing there and mine doesn't look like that when booting. Maybe change your settings if you have some sort of widget/clock overlay thing.

Try doing a clean boot to see if the problem persists.
Also disable fast startup.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

1. Right-click the Start button.
  2. Click Search.
  3. Type Control Panel and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  4. Click Power Options.
  5. Click Choose what the power buttons do.
  6. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
After that see if it stops it.

Last edited:
Kinda hard to tell exactly in the picture but could it be an overlay issue? Looks like you have a big windows clock thing there and mine doesn't look like that when booting. Maybe change your settings if you have some sort of widget/clock overlay thing.

Try doing a clean boot to see if the problem persists.
Also disable fast startup.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

1. Right-click the Start button.
  2. Click Search.
  3. Type Control Panel and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  4. Click Power Options.
  5. Click Choose what the power buttons do.
  6. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
After that see if it stops it.

Disabled fast startup, will see if it does it again...

The clock is default settings on Win10 as far as I know.

I don't have any junk apps installed aside from RGB software.

Also confirmed that playing with the DP cable does nothing today...

Starting to think the memory chip not being totally soldered on correctly might be likely.

Reinstall Windows 10 it looks like a monitor issue but it goes away so it probably isnt.
Change your lockscreen picture see if that works. Disable OCs try using a hdmi cable.

Reinstall Windows 10 it looks like a monitor issue but it goes away so it probably isnt.
Change your lockscreen picture see if that works. Disable OCs try using a hdmi cable.

Nothing is overclocked.

If the problem gets worse, I'll try an HDMI cable.

I agree with those suggesting to try a fresh install of Windows. I've never seen it happen personally, but I've heard tell of Windows 10 getting corrupted in such a way that this sort of thing happens.

Failing that, maybe try a different DP or HDMI port if you haven't, and then if that doesn't fix it, RMA the card.

At the card level, I'd guess a bad interconnect between the die and the substrate, but it could be a cracked solder ball at the memory or GPU end. On a card this new, it doesn't matter, really. The best solution is to just replace it under warranty, versus thinking about trying to repair it.

Edit: The way I'd go about the fresh Windows install is on spare SSD. Plug it in and install Windows, and if that works, then decide how to redo your original one.

Back