Graphics Card Prices Expected to Drop in July

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Echoing “sources from the upstream supply chain,” DigiTimes reports that graphics card prices are expected to see an average drop of around 20% in July. This is all thanks to the declining interest in cryptocurrency mining: small-to-medium mining firms are bowing out due to dwindling profits, while large mining firms have also cut spending for new hardware.

Currently, the worldwide graphics card market has an inventory of around several million units and Nvidia has around a million of GPUs waiting to be released, said the sources. With cryptocurrency miners also expected to begin selling their used graphics cards to the retail channel, vendors are expected to introduce major price cuts to compete.

Prices have already come down quite a bit so another 20% would be pretty big. That would put a 1080 Ti in the $650 range! Sigh, guess I'll wait a little longer.....again.

Is it safe to buy a card that has been used for mining 24/7 for the last year plus?

Many friends have snatched up vega's at 400$ mark and they have no issues.

On the topic itself:
my older brother picked up a rx570 for his nephew at msrp (200 $) well, actually at 180$ with 25% vat in europe, not seen nvidia price slash yet.

It's funny how most folks believe all the FUD about miner cards...

.... and then get one and wonder how in tarnation the things still hold together having gone through all that 'abuse'.

From all myself and all my fellow miners, you're welcome.

:)

I'm not heavily into games, so a cheap, low end video card is OK for me. I'm using an AMD RX560 that cost around $129 a few months ago and it's fine for what I do.

What I'm looking for is cheaper RAM prices. At the end of 2016 when I built my current computer, DDR3 was $110 for 32GB, now it's around $250. And DDR4 (needed for Ryzen) is at least $300 for 32GB. Ouch.

I'm not heavily into games, so a cheap, low end video card is OK for me. I'm using an AMD RX560 that cost around $129 a few months ago and it's fine for what I do.

What I'm looking for is cheaper RAM prices. At the end of 2016 when I built my current computer, DDR3 was $110 for 32GB, now it's around $250. And DDR4 (needed for Ryzen) is at least $300 for 32GB. Ouch.
even if you are not a gamer an extra 40 or 50$ gets you a 470 which is more than twice the performance, ram also is droping but very slowly.

Definitely looks like everyone can buy Videocards at retail prices again. Normal prices on Amazon and NewEgg for most cards.

/not holding my breath either

Murphy's Law though, GPU's will drop... because I just bought my new one yesterday :/
/just couldn't wait any longer :(

.... and then get one and wonder how in tarnation the things still hold together having gone through all that 'abuse'.

Indeed!

Is it safe to buy a card that has been used for mining 24/7 for the last year plus?
It really depends, miners undervolt the GPU. If the owner is savvy enough, took care of the card, never got it running over 70°C and used proper cooling, it will run as realiable as any used card. So check if the guy is serious about it

Suddenly everybody thinks that miners are brainless and don't take care of their income tool...

Edit: I can't even english

so the mining craze is finally coming to an end?

I've been hearing this every day for more than a year. Every few days there's another clickbait thread proclaiming "something-something Bitcoin crashing/banned?" or "Is the CrYpTo CrAyZe over?".

At some point you'd think even the slowest adults would finally put two and two together that the daily or weekly fluctuations in the crypto space are meaningless due to this thing called a moving average, that the price of Bitcoin and GPU mining profitability aren't directly correlated, and that if they zoomed out even a tiny bit and considered the big picture in retrospect would start to realize we're in fact in the midst of a paradigm shift, and the world is in fact changing. We're still just in the early part of the adoption curve.

But some people will never get it, or just don't want to get it, like the people that clung to their AOL CD's in the mid-90's because this thing called the Internet was just some new fad.

Last edited:

I'm welcome?! Because of you and your fellow miners I couldn't afford to purchase the card I wanted. I don't feel welcomed at all.

• Proper spacing between the cards
  • Giant fan to dissipate the heat
  • No temperature oscillations, less chance of breaking any circuitry
How cruel of them, what an abuse!

/s

You forgot pigsty.

Didn't Bitcoin drop to $6000 today? That may have more of an impact in prices.

Half of new pricing on a former mining card that already made the original owner all those Cryptillions!

I’ll buy three. :D

I'm too damn old and blind to care that much about the cutting edge of graphics... that said my 970 will hold me over I'm sure.

I'm welcome?! Because of you and your fellow miners I couldn't afford to purchase the card I wanted. I don't feel welcomed at all.

tenor.gif

Aw, so you didn't get the card you wanted at the time you wanted......and if you had gotten it then you would have paid more than some of the bargains i see out there right now.

Gifs of clueless entitled Hollywood stars...fitting to so much i see in this thread.

;)

That's like saying "because of all those damn car enthusiasts I can't afford that Tesla Model 3 I wanted". It's a pure luxury good, pay the asking price or don't buy one, very very simple. You wouldn't sell your house for $100k under market value because some lazy clueless internet asshole "feels" it's not worth that much would you?

It's called the law of supply and demand it applies to just about everything. The Tesla example I give especially since demand will be out stripping supply for the next year or two under limited (but increasing) production.

Miners who are on their profit game (even in the huge market down turn) saw the opportunity did the math and made their moves while you did nothing. I started with a single 6950 back in the day and expanded my farm, upgraded, expanded some more and have a 22 GPU setup that cost me $0. the 1080Ti's in my main rig? Free. My 2017 Volt? Free. Whenever the market booms again, free house. I'm supposed to feel bad about making moves that have advanced my financial position 30 years into the positive?

The funny part -- is for the past year or so while everyone has been complaining about expensive GPUs now that super cheap ones are on the horizon, most ignorant people will now complain "well it's been mined on, I don't want it". Again another road block people put in front of themselves to justify inaction. You won't buy it when it's expensive, you won't buy it when it's cheap, you are the internet equivalent of a tire kicker on a used car lot.

Properly setup and cared for mining GPU's last forever, I had a 270X and since day one from forever ago that ran for about 4 years of 24/7 use. It was just a game at that point to see how long it I could keep it going, it never died. I gave it away eventually because the pcie slot it was occupying become more valuable than the card itself. If you bothered to understand the market or how GPU's themselves worked you'd dive right in. I will say the person that runs a crappy setup, overclocks, overvolts, never cleans the heatsinks, and runs everything at 130% on a crappy no name power supply, is for sure going to have their GPU burn up. Just like someone who never changes the oil in their car is going to have it burn up way quicker than someone who actually takes care of their property.

There's people who have made metric ass tons of money in the stock market for seeing opportunities I couldn't see, you don't see me whining and complaining we should shut down Wall Street because I missed out in that department.

so the mining craze is finally coming to an end?

Doesn't seem like there's going to be a crash like last time, more like a gradual fizzle.

I got my 7950 for pennies during a previous glut, fairly certain it was a mining card. Worked just fine for years.

Depends on the card though. As an example, I worried about aftermarket R9 290s with bad VRM heatsinks I saw during the next glut. This time around, Vega 64 runs with more voltage/power than I'd like... But I would feel fine about buying any other card.

Back