Graphic Design & Gaming, 24" & 30" options, and advice requested

XeeN

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone.

I'm starting to do research on good displays and would like input on 24+" displays for graphics and gaming on the side.

From searching and reading the forum stickies, the Dell 2407 seems like a good compromise for good-enough color reproduction and a great gaming display ( Dell 2407WFP - 24" WS Samsung S-PVA (LM201W01)). The 30" Dell seems to be just about identical to the Apple Cinema so I'd probably get an Apple Cinema over a Dell unless people here recommend against it on the 30" models.

The only other monitors I've considered are the Apple Cinema Displays. I have used an older iMac 17" LCD for over 3 years at work and it's color brightness, contrast, and reproduction are amazing.

I do less and less gaming of course, due to getting a life, getting married, starting to do gfx full time as my own business, etc... but I'd like a display that will serve well.

When I think about it, I start to convince myself that the Apple displays would be perfect because they will still be great in gaming, or at least enough for me to still do well in FPS and high-movement games whenever I do play.

What are your experiences with these monitors in gaming?

Currently I have a Mitsubishi 22" CRT (NEC has an identical display, using the same tube) at home that has been great for several years now. The reason I'd move to an LCD is for more layout space (even though I have a 2nd 21" CRT) and clearer colors for graphic design, and to have a larger display, period.

I'm probably not going to make a purchase in this area for 8-16 months and when I'm sure about what I want.

Not sure what your time frame is but the NEC 2690WUXi will def. be worth taking a look at.

26 inches.
92% of the NTSC.
ColorComp
12 bit LUT

6.5 ms gtg
12 ms on/off

A-TW-IPS panel

LCD2490WUXi is the 24 inch version.

Don't get an S-PVA for graphics design if you're serious about color accuracy. Make sure its an IPS.

travbomb said:
Not sure what your time frame is but the NEC 2690WUXi will def. be worth taking a look at.

26 inches.
92% of the NTSC.
ColorComp
12 bit LUT

6.5 ms gtg
12 ms on/off

A-TW-IPS panel

Will these have glossy screens like the 20" model?

kreidel said:
Will these have glossy screens like the 20" model?

NO these are not part of our gaming series.

These are identical in looks as the other NEC 90 series products.

diefathin said:
do you have more review on LCD2490WUXi the 24 inch version.
i can not find any

It wont be released until mid Nov / Dec. I can get spec info tomorrow or you would like that.

Trav, where can I find info about that model? Searches online and on your website didn't seem to net me anything. What's NEC setting the price at, by the way?

I current have an NEC/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB 22" CRT. It's been great for a long time so I have enjoyed your manufacturing quality.

Let me know where I can read more about that NEC 2690WUXi, as well as release dates and pricing if you can.

Thanks.

XeeN said:
Hi everyone.

I'm starting to do research on good displays and would like input on 24+" displays for graphics and gaming on the side.

From searching and reading the forum stickies, the Dell 2407 seems like a good compromise for good-enough color reproduction and a great gaming display ( Dell 2407WFP - 24" WS Samsung S-PVA (LM201W01)). The 30" Dell seems to be just about identical to the Apple Cinema so I'd probably get an Apple Cinema over a Dell unless people here recommend against it on the 30" models.

The only other monitors I've considered are the Apple Cinema Displays. I have used an older iMac 17" LCD for over 3 years at work and it's color brightness, contrast, and reproduction are amazing.

I do less and less gaming of course, due to getting a life, getting married, starting to do gfx full time as my own business, etc... but I'd like a display that will serve well.

When I think about it, I start to convince myself that the Apple displays would be perfect because they will still be great in gaming, or at least enough for me to still do well in FPS and high-movement games whenever I do play.

What are your experiences with these monitors in gaming?

Currently I have a Mitsubishi 22" CRT (NEC has an identical display, using the same tube) at home that has been great for several years now. The reason I'd move to an LCD is for more layout space (even though I have a 2nd 21" CRT) and clearer colors for graphic design, and to have a larger display, period.

I'm probably not going to make a purchase in this area for 8-16 months and when I'm sure about what I want.
It's good you got time because in two/three months some very interesting displays are about to come to market. Faster big IPS's which IPS is all photo people and all apple uses for thier superior color being desktop publisher centric. IPS is best there is no debate about it however the Apples and Dell 30" are now old now and slow non-overdriven. The Dell 24" suffers from some serious input lag and is rather poor IQ being S-PVA and it's old too.

Keep your eyes on the ones travbomb above mentioned in addition to HP LP3065 and something from Sony in 24" 26" and 30".

XeeN said:
Trav, where can I find info about that model? Searches online and on your website didn't seem to net me anything. What's NEC setting the price at, by the way?

I current have an NEC/Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB 22" CRT. It's been great for a long time so I have enjoyed your manufacturing quality.

Let me know where I can read more about that NEC 2690WUXi, as well as release dates and pricing if you can.

Thanks.

There isnt anything online at the moment about either of them. Nov. 1 they should be released along with product being available about the same time.

Search for my post NEC 2690 on the hardforum. There are photos and the specs. If you cant find it let me know and i will repost.

Thanks for referring me there. I just read through the two pages.

I had no idea normal LCDs only reproduced 72% (!?) of the ntsc or adobe color gamut. Is that true for Apple Cinema displays as well? Gah! I've been using an apple 17" lcd at work for a while and I like it, but I'd love to see the 2690 next to a different model that didn't have such color.

It sounds great. I think I'll stick with my NEC/Mitsubishi 22" crt for now, will read up on the monitor when released, find somewhere it's sold and check it out for myself, and then see where I want to go.

Why is there only going to be a 2690 and not a 3090? What's the downside of those 30" screens?

tightline said:
It's good you got time because in two/three months some very interesting displays are about to come to market. Faster big IPS's which IPS is all photo people and all apple uses for thier superior color being desktop publisher centric. IPS is best there is no debate about it however the Apples and Dell 30" are now old now and slow non-overdriven. The Dell 24" suffers from some serious input lag and is rather poor IQ being S-PVA and it's old too.

Keep your eyes on the ones travbomb above mentioned in addition to HP LP3065 and something from Sony in 24" 26" and 30".

Sony made a 30" before they pulled out of the display market? :confused:

http://www.techbuilder.org/news/192201996

Why is there only going to be a 2690 and not a 3090? What's the downside of those 30" screens?

Dell and Apple both use the LM300W01 panel from LG. 72% color saturation, rated 16ms response time. From others opinions Apple has a better backlight but neither are perfect.

The new HP thats coming out uses LG's new LM300WQ1. 92% color saturation, 8ms GtG response time. Should be out in November.

Sony not pulling out of display market. They are staying away from commoditized displays.. Which excludes anything 20" and under becuase those peoples are cheap and look to price first not quality. No margins in it for a company like Sony. They'll still sell 24+

tightline said:
Sony not pulling out of display market. They are staying away from commoditized displays.. Which excludes anything 20" and under becuase those peoples are cheap and look to price first not quality. No margins in it for a company like Sony. They'll still sell 24+

I thought the press release said they would stay in 24 inch and above but only TV's not monitors?

tightline said:

Thanks, completely missed this chunk from the link that I linked... Yeah brain fart.

Sony told the reseller last week that it would stop offering desktop monitors, but would continue to sell the large-screen LCD and plasma displays used as digital signage in such industries as transportation and retail.

Thats good news. Do you know what panels they will be using? Assuming they are pretty far off in the future.

travbomb said:
I thought the press release said they would stay in 24 inch and above but only TV's not monitors?

i admit it's confusing but combined with Sony's links to broadcast and print professionals I just can't see them throwing that market away... They'll stil make LCD's for them. That's the way I'm going to read it until proven otherwise...

travbomb said:

26 inches.
92% of the NTSC.
ColorComp
12 bit LUT

6.5 ms gtg
12 ms on/off

A-TW-IPS panel

Do you know if NEC or any other LCD manufacturers are going to be releasing 20.1" widescreen IPS LCDs that cover 92% of the NTSC anytime soon?

Back